Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

Mice chewed on vacuum lines

Great progress, thanks! So, 2 lines from the vacuum sphere, one goes to firewall, one goes to manifold. Now I need to know which one is which. I’m gonna read the article you linked. Thanks. And I found the heater core bypass valve, it’s underneath the alternator. The picture shows the...
  2. A

The picture below shows the 2 vacuum lines coming from the sphere, chewed. There’s a black line going towards the firewall (pointed by the screwdriver) and another line going towards the intake manifold (second screwdriver). I bet this is where the lines from the sphere connect? Which...
  3. A

Thanks all for your advice. I removed the air box, it was full of mice poop and acorns. Underneath is the vacuum “sphere” with 2 black lines. Both lines are chewed (see picture). Where do they go? Next I’m gonna remove the coolant and washer fluid reservoirs.
  4. A

This morning I removed the battery and battery tray. Underneath is an EVAP component, on the diagram it shows as “VMV” and EVAP Service Port. Please look at the pictures below. Is that white vacuum hose the correct one? It seems to connect the VMV to somewhere underneath the intake manifold.
  5. A

Thanks. I just went on Amazon and ordered 2 spools of vacuum hose, 2mm and 3mm. They will arrive Friday or Saturday. This is my first time repairing vacuum hoses, so I appreciate your help and advice.
  6. A

Thanks for the info about the color. There’s a junked explorer nearby but unfortunately it’s also a rats nest, and the vacuum lines are chewed up too. The nearest junkyard is 1.5 hours away.
  7. A

I’m trying to revive my 1999 SOHC 4WD Mountaineer. Mice chewed vacuum lines and I need help understanding which parts I need to buy/replace. I have attached pictures showing the chewed up lines. Hopefully that all the damage done. Fingers crossed. Next, I want to remove the battery, air box...
  8. A

Compression Test and Leakdown Test - 1999 4.0 SOHC

Good news, I did the compression test. Cold engine, not hot. I got about 185 psi, very little variations between cylinders. I removed both wheels, and the big plastic wheel arches, to access the spark plugs. Removed relay #5 for fuel pump, disconnected the coil, and kept the throttle wide...
  9. A

Fuel Disconnect Tools

Great news. The scissors type worked. Happy!
  10. A

'Quick' Fuel Line Disconnects... not so quick to get off!

Great news! I bought the scissors type tool and it worked. Yeah!
  11. A

Thanks for the advice. I had bought an endoscope a few years ago and I was disappointed. But it was 5 or 6 years ago and the quality has certainly improved since then, so maybe it's time for me to give it another try. Also, on a side note, I appreciate you're using the "smile" amazon website...
  12. A

Mystery Electrical Plug - 1999 Monty 4.0 SOHC

There's the trailer light plug, as expected, on the driver side. 8 pin connector, 4 pins populated. But there's also a similar connector on the passenger side. What is it? Same plug, but with 6 pins populated.
  13. A

Engine Oil Pan Gasket and Torque - 1999 SOHC 4.0 4WD

Great list, thanks. But I don't see the torque spec for the transmission pan. Somewhere I heard 97 lb-in.
  14. A

The engine works great, but I'm in lockdown so I want to keep myself occupied... I have bought a compression tester and a leakdown tester, and I'd like to use them. This is my first time. For the compression test it seems the hardest part is to access and remove some of the spark plugs. I will...
  15. A

Where do you find the list of torque specs? I have a Chilton book, it's useless. Do you recommend a better one?
  16. A

Thanks a lot! The old pan is now clean as a whistle. It looks straight. When the rain stops I will place the pan against the engine to see how straight it really is. I bought a replacement gasket. It will arrive next week.
  17. A

Fuel Disconnect Tools

Thanks! I just bought one of those, will receive it next week. Fingers crossed.
  18. A

'Quick' Fuel Line Disconnects... not so quick to get off!

Thanks for the advice. I'm struggling with the larger hose from the fuel pump... I am using the Lisle 37000 tool. I just bought the tool style you recommended, I will receive next week and try it. Fingers crossed.
  19. A

Fuel Disconnect Tools

I'm trying to disconnect the lines to the fuel pump. I disconnected one, the return line, but I can't disconnect the other line (from pump outlet). I have the Lisle tools: - Lisle 37000 - Lisle 37300 Removing the fuel tank was quite a chore. I had to remove the driveline to access that pesky...
  20. A

Solved: Engine oil and filter for 4.0 SOHC - 5W-20 or 5W-30?

thanks. I changed the title. But I was looking for that tag “solved” that I sometimes see on other posts titles.
  21. A

Spark plugs

Great! Thanks for the clarification, it will make Mandy's job easier! Is there a thread advising how to access the plugs? It seems quite cramped in there.
  22. A

I removed the oil pan without issue. 10mm bolts. The inside is super clean, it's surprising. And not a single drop of oil dropped! The old gasket is really stuck, and there seems to be some extra adhesive, a white paste. How to remove the old gasket? When I install a new gasket, should I also...
  23. A

Solved: Engine oil and filter for 4.0 SOHC - 5W-20 or 5W-30?

How do I mark this thread as "solved"?
  24. A

Spark plugs

The same plug can have different model numbers. For example, "Motorcraft SP500" is the same plug.
  25. A

Spark plugs

For the 4.0L SOHC engine, the part number is AGSF-22F-M You can buy them from many places, for example RockAuto, or a Ford dealer. I like this dealer, their prices are very good: https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/oem-parts/ford-spark-plug-agsf22fm Please double check wether you...
Back