Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

PTU and Rear Differential (RDU) fill plug access (N/A V6 AWD)

I'm going to use a pneumatic evacuator and a separate syringe pump this time around. Using the hand pump was a messy PITA on the SHO plus the car had almost no ground clearance. I can crawl right under the Explorer and get to work without blocks, ramps, jacks, etc... So I may just do the PTU...
  2. M

So right above your drain plug location would be the fill plug location for the PTUs without coolers. If you don't see a fill plug, what do you see? The PTU cooler is like a small bump bolted to your PTU. It doesn't look like a heat exchanger and maybe in that tight spot it doesn't seem like you...
  3. M

Your 2016 Explorer Sport would have the PTU cooler. Do you not see a module on the passenger side of the PTU right above the drain plug with two coolant hoses running into it? There is also a temperature sensor that is the official fill plug for that PTU but it is difficult to access, hence the...
  4. M

The PTU's are different. The ones with coolers (Ex Sport/Platinum, Police Interceptor) have a drain plug, and the temp sender is the official fill port location but people choose to use the vent. The ones without coolers (Base, XLT, Limited factory units) use a fill plug only. The Ford...
  5. M

Thanks. Forums were the hot thing to use for the past 10-15 years, but more recently if you go on the Facebook groups, RDU is thrown around left and right on multiple Ford groups including 11-19 Explorers. I just did a search on one of the bigger groups and numerous hits came up. I haven't...
  6. M

Ok, but FYSA it's not "rear differential unit". It's the Rear Drive Unit and the RDU acronym is common knowledge among the Ford forums/communities.
  7. M

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Yeah those should be the Federal emissions stickers. Did they replace your stickers with the new hood?
  8. M

Yes the problem extends way back and across multiple models. This 5-year special warranty is only for 16-19 Explorers which leaves 11-15 Explorers out to dry.
  9. M

Thanks, so it's doable with a thin 3/8" drive. I looked over my notes for my 2014 SHO and I used a Gear Wrench pass-thru. I just bought a Powerbuilt Slim ratchet and its about 30% thinner than that, which was already thin. I cannot access the fill plug from the wheel house area, it's blocked...
  10. M

Standard term for the rear drive unit. But it's basically the rear differential.
  11. M

Serpintine belt replacement questions for NA 3.5 V6

Yep a 3/8" drive ratchet or breaker bar. The slimmer the better. I only swapped my belt because it was making noise during cold starts. Ridiculous since its such low mileage. Was surprised the Motorcraft belts are made in Japan.
  12. M

I did remove the PTU cooler duct so I could visually inspect the belt to make sure it was sitting in the right pulley grooves. I like to do that with each belt install on all of my vehicles.
  13. M

Did you guys get new underhood stickers with your new hoods? My dealer did not provide one for my 2018. I asked the shop about it and they said they ordered one. That was summer of 2020.
  14. M

Yes. And didn't find the info I wanted. Mostly talked about the PTUs with coolers that have a drain plug, which is worthless to me as I don't have a drain plug on mine. Just wanted simple tips on what tools they used to access the fill plugs, not a step-by-step on everything else.
  15. M

I have a 2018 XLT AWD w/ the N/A 3.5 V6, so the PTU only has a fill plug. Does anyone have any tips on accessing the fill plug of the PTU and RDU? It seems I can get my 3/8" ratchet in there but there doesn't seem to be a lot of room to remove the plugs and the ratchet together. Do I access the...
  16. M

I was able to change the belt and tensioner. That A/C bracket is right in the way but it is welded to the subframe rail. It's just overall fairly tight.
  17. M

6F55 trans drain and fill

It's probably because no one changes the trans fluid until it is too late. I'm up for my first drain and refill at 30k miles soon. My notes for my 2014 Taurus SHO was 5 quarts. I'll keep a closer eye on my 2018 Explorer. My 2017 Fusion Sport also has a 6F55 but I won't be changing the trans...
  18. M

pursuit mode

I don't think the "L" or Low Gear is the same as Sport or Pursuit Mode. On the GM 6Txx transmissions, they only have that Manual mode but if you drive it aggressively enough (like a Malibu with the 2.0L LTG) it goes into Performance Shift Mode, and behaves just like Pursuit Mode. But Pursuit...
  19. M

Pursuit mode

You know, watching a Youtube video of a person demonstrating Pursuit Mode.... This sounds exactly like Performance Shift Mode on the GM/Chevy versions of our Ford transmissions. On a Malibu LTZ w/ the 2.0 LTG GTDI, it goes into Performance Shift Mode when you drive it aggressively enough. I...
  20. M

pursuit mode

Old thread but on the 6F55, if you manually shift into 1st gear, you will be stuck in 1st gear if you punch the throttle. I found with the SHO, Explorer, and Fusion Sport that if I accidentally manually downshifted into 1st with the paddles/buttons, and am WOT (to merge onto a freeway, etc...) I...
  21. M

Pursuit mode

Reading the description of Pursuit Mode sounds like Sport Mode, at least on the Fusion Sport. In Sport mode, it will hold gears around corners. During hard braking (such as coming into a corner), it will revmatch downshifts for you. With my SHO and Explorer, Sport Mode did not have the...
  22. M

trans cooler install

On the CD6 Explorers with the 10R60, and the CD4 6F55/8F57 transverse applications (Fusion Sport/MKZ/Conti/Edge ST), there's a coolant block on the transmission that has engine coolant routed to help warmup the ATF as well as regulate the trans fluid temp. So the end result is that it rarely if...
  23. M

trans cooler install

Didn't look in that spot.
  24. M

trans cooler install

Those mountains are great to drive around, especially Tail of the Dragon and similar roads in that area. I am surprised your TFT went down to the 160s unless the ambient temps were really really cold. What engine do you have in your 2017 PIU? Is it the 3.7 or the 3.5 EcoBoost? The 3.7 runs the...
  25. M

How to: AFE Bias - How to correct your MPG readout/display

You shouldn't have to start the engine. Just hold the OK button and turn on the ignition and keep holding until the ET screen appears. Unless they changed it for 2020up
Back