Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. O

How I changed my 05's Front Wheel Bearing

It's not a bad idea to crack the bleeder valve when you push the piston in. That will allow the fluid to flow out of the bleeder instead of pushing dirty fluid back through the ABS system. If you were able to get the caliper back on and the bolts in, don't worry about it.
  2. O

The two bolts w/the larger head are for the caliper. The other 3 are for the spindle.
  3. O

I am going to second Grbullets post. I did the left side this morning. However, I already had the upper BJ and tie rod loose from the spindle. Rather than try to get the LBJ off, I pushed the axle back and had no problem getting an impact with a swivel on the bearing bolts. A few hits w/ a...
  4. O

You know, I shouldn't gripe. The Mounty has 133k on it and we've never done anything but tires and brakes. However, I've changed a rear wheel bearing and 1 front wheel bearing in the last 100 miles. I still have noise in the front end. I would feel stupid if it weren't for the fact that both...
  5. O

I'm in the middle of changing mine now. I'm about to go get the parts. I have the dealer holding a bearing. Autozone is $30 higher. Any other alternatives that you guys are happy with? FWIW, I pulled the spindle. Probably about 45 min in so far and dissassembly is complete. If it wasn't...
  6. O

I need a rear toe link

I checked rockauto. Thanks for the tip. No dice.
  7. O

I need a rear toe link

As the title says. '04 Mountaineer. I replaced the pass. wheel bearing and saw that the boot was torn before I started work. After changing the bearing, much of the wobble was gone. Unfortunately, the end of the link has worn and there is still movement and noise when cornering/changing...
  8. O

Leak in pillar, roof liner, crack on roof

There is a strip of sealer that runs down that rain gutter that covers the spot welds where the roof and body sides are joined. I wouldn't think that cracking is common, but it's certainly possible.
  9. O

2006 Explorer

Maybe you know something I don't. The current (2005) Explorer is 5 inches wider than the previous model. New ST uses same basic chassis. The frame is 10 inches longer. Could be wheelbase, could be overall length. I saw a set of 20 inch tires and wheels in the plant yesterday. Has to be...
  10. O

2006 Explorer

One of the Pre-production Mounty's has the power running boards. I guess that means it is a go.
  11. O

2006 Explorer

We will start building them in August and they should be on the lots by September.
  12. O

Hot rumor on the Sport-Trac/Ranger

They were actually discussing solid rear for the Sport-Trac a while back. I think the the Sport-Trac concepts that you have been seeing are going to be the Ranger (F100). It would seem that a midsize truck would be duplicity with the Sport-Trac.
  13. O

Hot rumor on the Sport-Trac/Ranger

I was told Friday (4/29) that the next Ranger will be based on the new Sport-Trac chassis. The vehicle will be renamed the F100 and is supposed to be a mid-sized pick-up. This jives with the recent media reports that Ford wants out of the small truck market as they see no future in it...
  14. O

2006 Explorer

Guess what I saw today???? A brand spankin' new supercharged 4.6L waiting to be taken out to the line for a prototype build on the SVT Sport Trac. The interesting thing is that has the pressure plate/clutch/flywheel. The motor has to be the exact Cobra motor. Same crank, rods, pistons, etc...
  15. O

1/4 mile tips

Take the air pressure up in the front tires to the maximum on the sidewall. Don't try to be a hero, let the trans shift itself.
  16. O

2006 Explorer

Neither. I work in maintenance at the Louisville plant. I work quite a few weekends so I get to see and hear quite a bit about the new launches. The new truck looks really good. It is Expeditionesque. The interior looks like it was lifted straight out of the F150 and the six speed auto is a go.
  17. O

2006 Explorer

I can't answer that for sure. I haven't heard any scuttlebut about it, but that doesn't mean alot. I also haven't seen any new tooling come in to allow for it. Again that doesn't mean anything though. Personally, I would like to see them. More options=more profit.
  18. O

2006 Explorer

The rear suspension is trailing arm based. Still coil spring with an aluminum upper link. The front suspension looks to be the same. I believe that it is using steel instead of aluminum though. The six-speed is a go. A launch engineer told me that they were really trying for 300 hp but it...
  19. O

2006 Explorer

Negative. We are building the Pre-Production units now and reworking some of the plant tooling. We will be building them in September. Most everything is progressing very smoothly. And by the way, Hello!
Back