Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. K

Great and easy way to remove stuck rotors

Which is why I made the comment originally the some may have seen this tip. For guys like me that don't get much time to wrench on cars this is new and I thought others that are in the same boat I am could benefit.
  2. K

Yeah whoever thought of that was pure genius. I couldn't get over how easy, not to mention. Time saving that was! Trip to the hardware store and .80 some odd cents of bolts washers and nuts and life was good. Literally took more time to put it all together than it did to pop the rotors off. I...
  3. K

You guys may already know or have seen this. I just saw it for 5 he first time yesterday. I tried it and holy cow does it make.life easyAutofocus - How to remove a rusted stuck brake ro…: http://youtu.be/pMuHKDI00rw
  4. K

After front brake job pedal is soft

So FINALLY all is good! Did a gravity bleed on the new caliper then had my wife work the pedal for a regular bleed. Went to the driver side and noticed when I had put the caliper back on I had the hose twisted. Took the caliper back off, straightened the hose out. Tested the pedal, felt better...
  5. K

On the banjo bolt. The caliper came with two copper washers. One goes on top under the bolt and one between the caliper and the fitting correct?
  6. K

Bleeding with the engine off
  7. K

Bleeder screw is at the top. I told her to keep her foot on the pedal till I said to let up. After the first time I'd open the bleeder I could feel, hear and see air bubbling out in the bottle. After that initial open and close the pedal would still be rock solid, not having any play in it. I'd...
  8. K

I have never heard that before. Rotors and pads yes but never heard calipers. Why do calipers need to be? Over the years I've had 1 or 2 cars when I was younger with a bad caliper that I've paid shops to fix and they never said I should replace both, only the bad one.
  9. K

Yup its the right side and the bleeder is on top
  10. K

If you are talking about when I swapped them out, not much at all.
  11. K

Had a couple people tell me I only needed to bleed the new caliper which is why I only did that one. Yes it does have ABS brakes. So should I do all 4 and if it's still acting up plan on the reverse bleed?
  12. K

So the passenger side caliper bit the dust as wells as the hydraulic hose. So today I replaced both front rotors, pads, passenger side caliper and hydraulic hose. I put some new fluid in an empty bottle, attached a hose to the bleeder screw on the new caliper ran the hose into the bottle...
  13. K

Issue with stuck shackle bolts

Good idea on the bushings. Did you consider just using a piece of all thread with the washers and nut so you wouldn't have to swap out bolts?
  14. K

Not insisting on saving, was just curious about the heat. I wasn't thinking taking them off the truck first but rather heating them up while on which had me wondering about safety. Just had to have a new rack put in because the old one was leaking bad, so I'm just getting frustrated at...
  15. K

So here's my question about burning them out. Started to apply a little heat from a propane torch yesterday and saw smoke, sparks and such from the penetrating oil burning. Seeing how close the fuel tank is my concern is actually starting a real fire. Also isn't there a risk of breaking or...
  16. K

totally get what you are saying there. I don't need new front hangers, those actually look good, the U-Bolts I'm sure should be replaced just because.
  17. K

yeah those are the original springs, I'm thinking that may be the better route to go. So is it worth maybe going to a salvage yard to get some replacements or buy new? I'm figuring at this point I'll probably only have this car another year or two. Body is getting rust on the rear fenders...
  18. K

The one with the nut on it, the entire thing spins when I try to loosen the nut but will not break free. One of my buddies said just go to a junk yard get some better looking springs and u-bolts and put a whole new set on with the shackles. That just opens up a whole new can of rusted bolt...
  19. K

So like most of you my rear leaf shackles on my '97 Explorer have completely rusted through. I was able to get the upper frame bolts off with no problem and get them removed. I was able to get the nut on the drivers side spring off but I can't for the life of me get the bolt out of the spring...
  20. K

Cruise control button bit the dust

Nope just old plastic and rubber that becomes brittle from age and heat and cold.
  21. K

Awesome, where did you find the write up here?
  22. K

So tonight I went to engage my cruise control and my thumb went through the pad for the on button. I've felt the plastic getting more brittle on it, well in the subzero temps today it bit the dust. I'm guessing I have to replace the entire wheel if I want to fix this or can it be done just...
  23. K

Battery hold down bolt won't budge

So the head of the bolt did have to be cut off. They put a new bolt in with the battery and they didn't charge me any extra so $99 for a battery, $15 for install, being done freezing my you know what off fighting this thing= priceless!
  24. K

You'd think so but not so much, it wouldn't crack around the bolt enough to break it free. The bolt itself wouldn't even snap off with the vice grips. Winds have picked up to a steady 15-20mph, it's friggin cold! I was ready to drill it out but decided to call Firestone, since they are an...
  25. K

So the battery in my '97XLT decided to crap out yesterday in the 0* temps. Came home yesterday afternoon disconnected the battery cables, went to loosen the bolt that holds the block in place to hold the battery down and it won't budge. Went through a bunch of different size sockets and the 8mm...
Back