Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Which X next?

I wrecked my '99 and traded my '98, so I'm wondering which Explorers should look at and which should I avoid. There's an '06 4.0 XLT rwd with 100k nearby, what should search to know what to look for? Thanks
  2. D

Advance 25% off ad? WTF?

I figured it out. SHOX2 promo is good for 25% off shocks, struts, and springs for orders over $300.
  3. D

Advance 25% off struts? WTF??

Sorry duplicate.
  4. D

Advance 25% off ad? WTF?

How come the Advance promo ad at the top of this page says 25% 0ff on Shocks, but when you apply the promo code it figures only 15% off? Does Advance think we're stupid? What's up with that?
  5. D

Dull headlight lenses? What to search?

I searched for ways to clear up dull headlight lenses but didn't find anything. Please tell me what to search for or what is the best/easiest fix for the cloudy lens problem. TIA
  6. D

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

155,000 on my ohv 4.0 4x4. Trans is starting to scare me as the OD light blinks occasionally and it is sometimes slow to go in reverse.
  7. D

Auto unlock when shifted to Park

I disabled this feature to save the lock mechanisms from excessive wear.
  8. D

door handle is all loose

If you get one from a junk yard, get the passenger side. It's had way less use.
  9. D

Starting/stalling problem

My son's '97 4.0 ohv 4wd X w/145k failed to start yesterday. It would crank but not start. He waited a couple of hours and tried again and it fired right up. Today he got up early and drove 150 miles back to town. Later in the day, it stalled while idling at a light and wouldn't restart...
  10. D

new speedo calibration: correct for 10mph offset?

I bought a working cluster from car-part.com for about $30.
  11. D

Rear inside door handle does not work

Don't get the cheapos on ebay. They don't last. I'd bet the Dorman handles from AZ are okay. I put a little grease in the gears when I replace these or have the door panel off.
  12. D

Changed the bulbs in my cluster, now my gear selector doesnt work?

I have a cluster out of a '97 you are welcome to. Maybe you can make a good one out 2 bad ones. I bought a used cluster for about $30 to replace the bad speedo in my XLT. Luckily, I was able to r&r the clusters successfully. I think the cable/string is hard to replace. I have a bulb out...
  13. D

Can I put a bigger tank in my Ex?

During the gas shortage in the '70s, I was driving a VW Squarereback with an 11 gallon tank. I put a tee in the fuel line and added a length of hose to a fitting for motor boat gas tanks. I could fit three 6 gallon boat tanks under the hood and have almost 30 gallons of gas on board. If I...
  14. D

New guy stupid question

What is the 8th digit of the VIN? X is the 160hp ohv engine. E is the 200hp SOHC engine.
  15. D

Will trans cooler help flashing O/D light?

Since my O/D light has flashed one day then quit flashing, I'm wondering what I can do to stave off a catastrophe. I changed the filter and fluid a few weeks before it started flashing. Should I add a trans additive? Should I add a trans fluid cooler? Or should I just start saving for the...
  16. D

O/D light was blinking, now it's not.

Thanks. A sticking solenoid sounds better then a failing transmission. If this is the case, is it worth just switching out the solenoid, or should I have the tranny rebuilt while the mechanic is in there? My son commutes about 300 miles every third or fourth weekend and he'd hate getting...
  17. D

O/D light was blinking, now it's not.

After arriving in town yesterday after 2 hours on the highway, the O/D light started blinking on my son's '97 4.0 ohv 4wd xlt. It continued blinking the rest of the day, but it's not blinking today. He says the truck still seems to drive normally and the O/D button still controls the...
  18. D

O/D light blinking - Code?

The O/D light just started blinking on my '97 4wd 4.0 OHV. I know this indicates a tranny problem. Does this throw a code I can have read?
  19. D

accelerator peddle fell off...while in traffic

Mostly unrelated, but the throttle cable broke on my BMW and I had to wedge a stick in the throttle linkage and drive home, slipping the clutch and running at a constant rpm. I've heard of gas pedals on our trucks breaking as yours did. I hope your fix goes well.
  20. D

Mobil 1, do yo use Extended Performance?

I'd be scared to go 15k! I'm driving 12-15k a year and might extend changes to twice a year if I had confidence in the oil. In the mean time, I'll use regular Mobil 1 and change 3 times a year, 4-5k per change.
  21. D

Mobil 1, do yo use Extended Performance?

Is it worth the difference? Actually it's only about $2 more for the 5 qt. jug, but does it offer anything? Do you extend your change periods? Thanks
  22. D

Are air filter brands important?

Are any better than the others? I've thought that STP anything was marketing junk and that K&N was overpriced hype. So what do you recommend? Thanks.
  23. D

Purge valve, solenoid, flow sensor?

I bought a purge flow sensor because it was the cheapest part and available at Advance. But I found a broken vacuum line at the canister purge valve. I repaired the vacuum line and hope I've cured my P0455 codes. I'll let you know. Thanks for all the help.
  24. D

question about sea-foam

I've heard you should change the oil after using Techron. Is the same true of Seafoam?
  25. D

Purge valve, solenoid, flow sensor?

Is the canister purge valve the same as the canister purge solenoid the same as the canister purge flow sensor? Are all of theses just different names for the same thing? I'm getting a P0455 cel and the advice on this site is to check this part. And where is it on my '97 X? Under the right...
Back