Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

Genuine Ford clutch slave part number?

@freak I dunno know about that - You have a 1997 - and the ad you posted says for the Slave you're thinking of is a 1992 Revision part... It might work, but, I'd rather have the newest revision part that is recommended by a parts re-seller that says it will fit/work :) Here's what Rock Auto...
  2. F

How to: Replace Gaskets On The 4.0 OHV Oil Filter Adapter / Mount

@grantgrabert Hey Grant, glad to hear that it all worked out! Also, thanks for adding good input to the thread, and documenting your technique to break the bolts loose between the Y Pipe to Exhaust Manifold, as well as your 15mm bolt head size. Hopefully that will help others out. As Grant...
  3. F

How to: Replace Gaskets On The 4.0 OHV Oil Filter Adapter / Mount

@grantgrabert Glad that the write-up is helping all these years later - To remove the Y Pipe from the 2 Exhaust manifolds, I used a 13mm 6 point socket on a really long extension that led it's way to a breaker bar. The breaker bar was 1/2" so I used a 1/2" to 3/8" reducer to connect to the...
  4. F

11 month old rebuilt starter died: Considering just going brand new this time, worth it?

Just sayin - Screen name is for a '98 - BUT - Signature for screen name shows a '96... Here's Rock Auto listings for a '96 & '98 OHV Starter Motors - New & Rebuilt. 1st grouping in BLUE is for NEW 2nd grouping in Orange if for USED Honestly, I don't know if BOSCH even makes NEW starters and...
  5. F

DIY Explorer 302 Headers

@97Sandbox Lots of methods, but a winner that I've witnessed is; Concentrated Torch Heat and then either candle wax OR marvel mystery oil for the capillary effect. HTH -
  6. F

How to: 4.0 OHV Refresh

@97Sandbox Just sayin' - Everybody has their favorite fuel pump on the website. I bought a TYC from Rock Auto. TYC is a mainstream manufacturer to auto & truck manufacturers, research them on their website. Link: https://www.genera.com/ The TYC was a much more powerful (PSI) aftermarket...
  7. F

Fuel filter fuel lines won't come off

Yep - these and what @CDW6212R said in Post #44 of this thread are what worked for me.
  8. F

Sticking throttle

Just sayin' If I remember correctly, my '98 OHV throttle body had a yellow sticker on it, advising that it was teflon coated so as to help prevent the butterfly getting stuck. The teflon coating may be gone due to age/wear & tear/numerous cleanings -:dunno: Also, the 2 axle holes in the...
  9. F

1995 Explorer Summer Project

@Chrisjd10 Sitting 3 years = I'd be concerned about the thermostat sticking (super easy swap-out on the OHV). Fresh Coolant also recommended. Good luck and have a safe trip!
  10. F

Beginning of a beautiful journey, 2000 Explorer SOHC

@Pekka - Dude - I love how you pixelated the license plate in Post 113 - total Operations Security -> lol ;) SISU! to you, my Explorer brother in Finnish Lapland!
  11. F

Engine throttle Pulsing Problem

@yarrumsm Here's a cut-and-past from years ago, for recent owners of these rides, like you, that are craving old school info! The following used to be a popular topic when TPS' started burning out - around 2003 The subject is Absolute Throttle Position - "The TPS is essentially a rheostat...
  12. F

Engine throttle Pulsing Problem

Just throwin' this out there - When my OEM TPS went bad, it exhibited the pulsating idle. Over the years, they get a "hot spot" on them. This is due to at idle, they sit on the same electrical contact point for years on end. Replaced it, optimized/set the voltage at the TPS, and was good to...
  13. F

Solved CA Smog was at the limit last time, would disabling overdrive help?

In my case, DMV sent me next years registration form, which included a a SMOG requirement at a STAR Station, in order for me to apply for next years tags. Sequentially, you need to A) pass smog first, and that allows you to B) "pass go" and pay for the registration tags. If you send money...
  14. F

Read through all of the eligibility points. You can only get the $$$ is if the vehicle failed smog AND still has current tags... That's why right after my Ex failed smog, I rushed to get my claim in for the $1,000 before my tags expired a few weeks later. My claim was approved literally days...
  15. F

^^^ Seriously, that's between you and DMV - I dunno. When you're notified you're EX is due for a smog test, the paperwork sez you need to pass smog first, and only then send in your registration money. The smog shop sends DMV the info electronically the same day you pass, and then DMV then...
  16. F

Sounds like you have a plan w/ the EGR and I hope it all works out for you. Just sayin' - I'll bring you up to speed in case things don't work out for you as it'll probably be a shock to your system as it's a bit different on how they treat a LS400 VS a Ford Explorer. I know from experience...
  17. F

@myf16 My Ex was never dyno Smogged in 17 yrs of ownership. No roller dyno test for EX's here in the SF Bay Area PRK - tailpipe test 100% (Same as @Fix4Dirt in So Cal). They're extremely tough up here with SMOG enforcement - where are you in Nor Cal that they're so strict? Same as you, based...
  18. F

1998 explorer starter

Wow - those photos of the starter are a 1st! Now that's the definition of a catastrophic failure - thanks for sharing!
  19. F

Camber adjustment on passenger side 2-piece upper control arm

Worth 1,000 words - Blue Teflon Pad after 20+ years :cool:
  20. F

Camber adjustment on passenger side 2-piece upper control arm

Just sayin' Given the age and mileage of these rigs, you could have a number of suspension issues that add up to one larger problem. For instance, to add to the list of problems posted by @410Fortune , the blue Teflon pads that are under the torsion bars could also be worn out. I know that...
  21. F

Rack and pinion

Just sayin' To ensure long P/S Rack & P/S Pump life, run a GENUINE 3/8" Magnefine (brand) Filter on the return line from the Factory Cooler back to the P/S Pump. Available on Amazon = $22 for the filter & $5 Shipping Carry on -
  22. F

Try my best to explain lol

Josh Then he's definitely in good hands and needs to find out what's your favorite, cold adult beverage ;-)
  23. F

Try my best to explain lol

OP - For all you know, as the newest caretaker of a 23 year old vehicle, the fuel pump might have already been replaced, and your problem might be as easy as the nylon "sock" on the pick up of the fuel pump being clogged. No one asked your mileage on your Ex, so, for example; An Ex with...
  24. F

Recommendations on replacement clutch

@GR Gold I've bought all the parts twice from Rock Auto, and had an independent shop install them for $500 flat fee. Each shop took 3-4 days, in between other jobs. In return, I got a reasonable rate. Win-Win ;) Different shops did the work both times, and BOTH wouldn't consider installing...
  25. F

Oil pan leak

Oil pan gasket replacement with the engine still in the car is right up there in the Top 10 Complexity of auto repairs. Looks easy enough and then you get into the thick of it - all the while on your back... Be thankful that you hit your goal and have no leaks - you're probably in the 2% of...
Back