Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

2022 Colorado Color Run

Hey I'm a legend too :) At that run in 1999, my 94 sport was all stock. I had just completed a rear disc brake swap, which was the basis for one of the original tech articles on this site. Shortly after, I installed a lift, tires, lockers, gears. Those were the early days and things have...
  2. B

2022 Colorado Color Run

Just tossing this out there since it looks like the tentative dates are set for September. There is a Bronco event at the same time in the Buena Vista area. Bronco Super Celebration (WEST) | Bronco Driver September 7-10, 2022 We have taken our Bronco to this event for the past 2 years. It's...
  3. B

Ranger / Bronco II V8 Conversion Advanced Adapter Transmission Plate

It was in an early Ranger v8 swap. It is for the earlier transmissions with the removable bellhousings. Here's a link to how it works. https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/pdf_documents/712541.pdf
  4. B

Brett's 4.0L SOHC Swap

I will have to look up my wiring notes for this. I've had mine wired in since the conversion and it has never had a cam position code. I believe all 94's do have a cam sensor as do some 93's. In the EEC IV, the cam sensor is used mainly as a reference for the computer to fire the correct...
  5. B

Brett's 4.0L SOHC Swap

Of course you would be able to make it clear with custom motor mounts and a spacer.... I am referencing the stock motor mounts. They will not allow the factory SOHC pan to clear the Gen1 cross member.
  6. B

Brett's 4.0L SOHC Swap

The SOHC pan would hit the factory cross member on a 4x4 frame. The OHV pan is shaped differently to go around the cross member. When changing to the OHV pan, be sure to pull out the balance shaft on the bottom of the SOHC motor if it has one. Not all SOHC engines have them, but mainly if...
  7. B

Brett's 4.0L SOHC Swap

Yep!
  8. B

Brett's 4.0L SOHC Swap

You will need to pay attention to pin locations and wiring + - when using the sensors. I used a combo of 04 and 94 sensors. MAF - use one compatible with a 93 computer. IAC - use the SOHC as this is usually tied to the intake you are using. CPS - Use the 93 sensor Cam sensor - if you have this...
  9. B

Brett's 4.0L SOHC Swap

Cool. I'm more familiar with SCORE and BITD as I work on some of these trucks. Let me know if your 93 has a cam sensor and egr or not.
  10. B

Brett's 4.0L SOHC Swap

If the C4 is bolted to the OHV now, it will bolt to the SOHC. I assume that it is using a C5 bellhousing. There is 1 bolt that is not the same on the top RH side of the motor between the OHV and SOHC patterns. Which series are you planning to run this truck in? Best in the Desert / SCORE / etc.?
  11. B

Brett's 4.0L SOHC Swap

There is a ton of wiring that needs to be changed. Mine is a 94 Explorer and I used an 04 Ranger. There are a ton of differences between 93-94 and CA and 49 state emissions. Also the SOHC motor had a number of changes between 97 to 12. Lets start with what year donor motor you are using...
  12. B

PLAN B Build

Hi Stic-O. I can give you all sorts of details on this swap. There is a lot involved for you to physically mount it in the chassis. The SOHC is tighter against the firewall than the OHV. The motor is physically larger b/c of the heads and intake, so most of the challenges are going to be...
  13. B

4405 to 1354 e Conversion

@Spudhut - the tcase you will want to use is 01-03 Sport, 01+ Ranger, 01-05 Sport Trac. Get the tcase, shift motor, 4x4 CM, and as much of the wiring from the 4x4cm as possible. Depending on the donor, the 4x4cm may be in the RH kick panel, or behind the stereo in the dash. It's possible to...
  14. B

Hi spudhut, I've been out at SEMA this week. On your manual TC swap, you can tap the wires in the GEM for the 4x4 high and 4x4 low lights. On the tcase, it should have a switch and when you pull it, get the plug and some wiring. GEM connector C282 pin 14 (GY) - 4x4 high indicator pin 10...
  15. B

Your 96 will be a little different b/c it does not have a live front axle like the 97 and later trucks. It uses a vacuum disconnect. You can either permanently lock the front diff or swap axle for a later live axle. The 01+ 4x4cm does not have a way to control the vacuum disconnect.
  16. B

Serious Explorations 20th anniversary video

Thanks for sharing some of the old memories Rick. It's been a long time.
  17. B

Hi, sorry i have not replied yet. I just saw the PM. I'll reply back to your PM with more details. For a 97, you'll want to look for a 95-97 Ranger 1354 and front shaft. These are similar to the 1st gen 1354's. I'm not sure if the 4405 motor will work with the 01+ 4x4CM from a Sport/Sport...
  18. B

I've done several of these swaps now, including the 4406e swap in my 98 V8 using the 01+ Ranger/Explorer Sport/Sport Trac electronics. This is a much simpler swap that is totally factory. The wiring integration is not difficult, it just takes patience. I would not use a 1st gen 1354 module...
  19. B

Brett's 4.0L SOHC Swap

No thunder and lightning stolen here. glad you have your swap done and all is working. I did my swap about 12 years ago now, and have racked up a lot of miles on it. I'm going to be swapping out to a v8 soon.
  20. B

Brett's 4.0L SOHC Swap

Nothing new with it. I don't drive it much anymore. I will get back on it someday.
  21. B

CHIEF Is Almost a 302!!!!!! 91 XLT SAS In the process of 302 and T-5 Swap!!

Yep, will do it on the side for folks. Although with so many aftermarket setups out these days, these are what the muscle car and street rod guys go with. Not the OEM stuff. I'm gathering all the pieces together to rebuild my sport. Going 5.0L / M5OD-R2/1356M. So was interested that...
  22. B

CHIEF Is Almost a 302!!!!!! 91 XLT SAS In the process of 302 and T-5 Swap!!

Talked with RealBuesch27 over email. Sounds like he is sticking with the carb setup on the ranger parts truck. Wiring would be simple, and probably mostly done since donor truck has already been converted. Brett
  23. B

Solved 5R55E slow engagement when cold after a full rebuild.

Update: Pressed new pump bushings in, put it all back together, installed in the truck, and all is really working well now. Thanks everyone for the help! Brett
  24. B

Solved 5R55E slow engagement when cold after a full rebuild.

Tore down front pump on the transmission yesterday. Found an obvious problem with the rear pump bushing.. There was a piece of flash caught in the bushing lube channel. By the heat marks, this appeared to seize the bushing up and walk the bushing out the back of the pump. See picture posted...
Back