Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. L

Rust hole in gas tank, safe?

I hope they did also, they charge $100 an hour. He did state that they dropped the tank while the vehicle was on the lift and lowered it down with a transmission jack to see where the leak was. When the weather clears a bit im going to lower the tank and check out the damage they are talking...
  2. L

Thanks for all of the great Info :chug: I think I am going to get the truck home first and then check out the size of the hole, I agree it does sound kind of fishy but I will never know without seeing it. Besides unbolting the tank, don't I have to remove the old fuel pump and sender...
  3. L

I know im screwed for a little bit, winter sucks for repairs
  4. L

Thanks for the replies. I never threwa code, which I guess is unusual. The tech told me they lowered the tank down with a transmission jack and could see a rust hole on the top, kind of surprissing since the tank was 3/4 full and I doubt they drained it. Their charging me $300 just for...
  5. L

With the low gas prices I was finaly able to fill my Explorer tank up to the top. Then I recently noticed a strong gas smell coming from the left rear tire below the fuel door. In the morning I noticed a smal 1" diameter stain on the driveway. Not wanting to take any chances I took it to...
  6. L

Rocker Panel Replacement

wow that kind of surprising I definately thought the angle grinder with the cut off wheel would be quicker. I have decided to buy the Sherman replacement rocker panels from rock auto they are like $20 a piece, Summit has the same ones for $55 each?? They come unfinished but I will prime &...
  7. L

Rocker Panel Replacement

Thanks for the reply, I am thinking about the ones on ebay, have to check out the rock auto ones. I am going to have a friend who is a welder spot weld them in, after cutting out all of the old rust.
  8. L

Rocker Panel Replacement

Hello, my rocker panels have rotted to the point of no return and need to be cut out and replaced, I know they sell replacement rocker panels and am looking for suggestions on some good ones. I saw the ones on ebay and on summit racing and am kind of confused as which ones would be best to...
  9. L

Front Fuel line?

Thanks very much romeoville, I am going to give this a try :thumbsup: I think it should not be a problem. I spoke to my mechanic and he told me that hose clamping metal to rubber is not a safe idea and should not be done. With that being said I am curious, at the ford factory they...
  10. L

Front Fuel line?

I've don't like going to Napa because I find a lot of those counter people are not very helpful when it comes to doing things outside the box. U end up spending money on a bunch of stuff that won't work. In a situation like this I need to come up with my own idea that I know will work. I...
  11. L

Front Fuel line?

I might have a shot at fixing this myself. Does anyone know the inner diameter of the nylon fuel line for the 1998 explorer? This would help out a great deal.... I measured it at 1/4" just trying to make sure that is correct? Also what type of crimping tool do I need to get. Sorry to...
  12. L

Front Fuel line?

Wow, this is becoming a major mess... No one wants to sell used fuel lines or take the risk of installing or making a make shift fuel line, not sure but they are not interested in taking the risk I guess. Also when they salvage the vehicle they cut the fuel lines to make removing the...
  13. L

Front Fuel line?

Yeah, I was surprised he wasn't willing to try and repair it, he is older maybe he is looking for the easy way out. Does anyone know of an online source for used parts? I have been looking but have not found that many. This is getting frustrating for a single dad who needs his car for...
  14. L

Front Fuel line?

I am trying to source the front fuel line for my 1998 sport with the V6 sohc motor, this is the line that has a quick connect metal end, on one end, that goes to the inline fuel filter and the other end goes to the engine. My mechanic called a few local ford dealers and they told him that it...
  15. L

Fuel filter replace gone bad

Well this turned out to be an epic fail. After spending about $50 on parts and about 3hrs labor over a few days I finaly found out that you cannot cut n paste into a Nylon fuel line. My plan was to use a 5/16" to 1/4" from fuel line to filter but the flair in the 1/4" side of the brass...
  16. L

Thermostat Housing - Help Please (One car)

Couple things I would check are coolant level to make sure it has enough, not enough coolant will make the heater run cool, air bubbles, make sure to run you heater on high for 30 minutes or more and lastly your thermostat, they do fail quite a bit. Also those sensors fail all of the time, I...
  17. L

In order to use the Doorman part I would just cut off the old metal quick connect and double hose clamp it to the Nylon fuel line? Would the plastic end just snap into the 3/8 fuel filter end Thanks for the all information and thank you Bill for posting the link to Napa link. I need to fix...
  18. L

Do they have them behind the counter or are they on a rack somewhere in Napa? I live in Massachusetts and did not check Napa because I do not know exactly what to ask for and did not see replacement metal ford quick disconects on any web sites, not even dorman. Im about to get this towed...
  19. L

Thermostat Housing - Help Please (One car)

I did this job about 3 months back but I had to replace the lower thermostat housing because the plastic eventually seperates and causes a leak, in you case though it sounds like you might have left out the rubber O ring gasket that sits between the two housings. Did you remember putting this...
  20. L

Thanks for the info guys I new this would be a ***** when gas was leaking all over my face and in my hair, not a fun job. Ford always seems to come up with some interesting designs for their parts. My truck has the metal quick connect clamps not the plastic one's, I cannot find a...
  21. L

After a fuel filler neck replace, I was changing the inline fuel filter on my 1998 Explorer v6, sohc this afternoon and it was really tough to get off. I eventually was able to get it off and it was quite the struggle using the lisle fuel line tool. The front metal quick connect fuel line...
  22. L

Tufoil?

I've used it for years and it works really well, gave me about 2mpg increase over not using it and it protects the engine. One of the only oil additives I will use, my Explorer has 221,000 hard miles on it and it sitll runs very strong and burns no oil.
  23. L

power steering Fluid change?

Thanks again this really helps me out alot, I can't wait to get started. Only thing is I am confused on the ATF or PSF its about 50/50 on this post, guess it doesn't matter as they will both work i guess.
  24. L

Ok, what kind of readily available power steering fluid should I use? I originally bought synthetic Mercon V from Valvoline to use but I guess I will just return it, I have heard something about the power steering seals needing the additives in power steering fluid but like I said, it was...
  25. L

Did a pretty good search on how to change power steeting fluid on my 1998 X and did not find a lot of comprehensive info so I am asking in this thread. What is the best way to drain and refill power steering fluid in an Explorer? I have read that undoing the steering cooler line works well...
Back