Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. L

Making trailer lights my tailights

I no longer own an Explorer/Ranger, but I'll chime in. I have a backrack on my '06 GMC Sierra and forever wanted to mount another pair of taillights on it. When I have my kayaks in the bed it makes my stock taillights/turnsignals a lot more difficult to see during the daytime so this seemed...
  2. L

clear headlight lenses

While I commend you for performing a search before you post, you've resurrected a thread that's a decade old. A simple google search/ebay search will yield the results you're looking for. I just checked on ebay for "1997 Ford Explorer clear headlights" and found a set for $87 plus shipping...
  3. L

Post pictures of your truck with auxiliary lights

Nice work, Sleb. Looks like a clean installation all around.
  4. L

Oem Fog lights

You could always go aftermarket. Just make sure the wattage of the new lights you choose won't overwork the stock wiring harness or else you'll have problems.
  5. L

HID/HALO question.

Actually, aftermarket and custom aren't the same thing. :rolleyes: If you're not sure what bulbs you are using currently, a good first step would be to remove said bulbs from your headlight housings. If you're still having trouble with identification, post a picture of the current bulbs and...
  6. L

Lock nuts for KCs

I know that Lightforce sells their products with lock nuts. I'm pretty sure you can buy a set of them separately. If they are the size you're looking for, I'm not sure.
  7. L

Amber LEDs for my Ranger

Good call also on mounting them inside the cab away from the elements. I had a set of strobes almost identical to these (except they were larger) and they were advertised on ebay as water-resistant. They weren't.
  8. L

Amber LEDs for my Ranger

Very nice work! I've always loved the look of behind-the-glass LED units, even more so if the rear glass is tinted like yours. If you're looking for a place to run the wires up front I'd take the a-pillar route. That whole interior piece pops off very easily and there is ample room underneath...
  9. L

Hella 500 vs. 500ff

I've had the 500s on my roof. I wasn't too impressed with them. I did have four on my brush guard which worked out a lot better, although they had the stock 55 watt bulbs instead of the 100w ones you suggested.
  10. L

Hella 500 vs. 500ff

The Free-Form Hellas will have the better light output. Hella Free-Form technology coordinates the shape of the reflector with the light source, producing a more efficient light output. Both the FF 500 and regular 500 will be plenty bright, but for light output/coverage, the FF wins that...
  11. L

Lightforce 170 as head lights?

I am thoroughly jealous. I have to get my 170s mounted before the snow flies.
  12. L

Opinion: Round or Rectangular lights on Light Bar

Round. I'd move the Hella 500s to your bumper or otherwise lower to the ground and use a long-range spotlight for your lightbar...Like KC Daylighters or ProComp Explorers. You could also look into IPF off road lights, or if you've got the bucks, Lightforce. You'll get better performance from...
  13. L

LED Style mirrors

I'd stray away from those. I've installed a couple pairs of those on friends' vehicles and after a short length of time they have crapped out or otherwise failed. They are poor quality. Besides, the shape of the housing is going to look very "out of place" on an Explorer and/or Ranger. It may...
  14. L

Hella VS KC

I'm not saying buying a super-expensive, high-end set of lights for your basket is your only option, I'm just saying you're gonna get better performance bar-none with lights that have a circular housing, regardless of cost or make. Not to mention, since you are mounting them so high you're...
  15. L

Lightforce 170 as head lights?

Keep the Hella's as your low beams. The 170 Striker (which you are interested in purchasing and the same model I own) is way too bright to be a low beam, as another member suggested. You should check out the "Light Logic" torture tests that Lightforce gives their lamps, there's videos of...
  16. L

Hella VS KC

You can't be so dead set on square housings! The best lights WILL be circular...you get better performance with a circular housing!
  17. L

Post pictures of your truck with auxiliary lights

Mackenziet, have you ever thought about adding an auxiliary fuse panel? That's a ton of wires going to your battery.
  18. L

Hella VS KC

Yeah, I just emptied it. My bad. And no, these have been sitting in my garage since I bought them in April. I haven't had the money to buy a brush guard/light bar to mount them on. My birthday is right around the corner, and I plan on putting any money I receive towards a brush guard and...
  19. L

Clear Corner Lenses

Plug this into a search engine and/or ebay. That's a good first step.
  20. L

Hella VS KC

The Hella 500's come with covers, but if you're like me and hate covering your lights because you use them so much...yet you still want some protection for them...then you should pursue a pair of Hella grille covers or Hella transparent shields. Here are some links to both: Grilles...
  21. L

good aftermarket 3rd stoplight for '96 Ex

I'd save yourself the trouble and run your wires from the third brakelight to one of the taillights and splice into the bulb wires there.
  22. L

Hella VS KC

I've owned numerous pairs of Hella 500s. Right before I sold my Explorer I had four of them bolted onto the front of my brush guard. I never put them on my roof, but back when I had roof lights they were the exact same ones you have on your truck now. Four of those baja specials from WalMart...
  23. L

Strobes

I'd stay away from any strobe kits that aren't a well-know name brand. You're just asking for it to crap out on you. I've had dismal luck with no-name brands like the one you showed before. Just my two cents.
Back