Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

'99 Ex Sport sohc Turbo buildup underway

update on my setup Just an update on my setup. I haven't posted in a long while. Back when we last talked, I ended up changing the vent line routing... The one from the back of the engine still uses a pcv valve, one i picked off of the shelf of my local auto parts store. It's check valve...
  2. J

PCVOn Woes I still haven't completely exactly done what you showed. I would like to thank you for your detailed description and pics. I did manage to take the rear line and redirect it into a homemade catch can, and then to the intake pipe, pre turbo, post MAF. The valve cover line still has...
  3. J

Rotary Hoist Installed - Any Advice on How To Lift my Ex?

I've finally finished installing my (used) two post asymmetrical lift. Can anyone advise me on how to hoist the truck? I'm not comfortable with it and don't want to get crushed! Info I've gathered from the net has told me: -For my type of (Asymetrical) lift, generally position the...
  4. J

Thank you Jakee. I'm not disagreeing with your setup at all. In fact, I'm going to use your method #2, as I trust in it. Yes, I tried your second method (albeit I admit I only created one vacuum port on the intake, instead of two as you had done, due to lazyness). The bad oily/gassy smells...
  5. J

How to: 1st Gen Gas Tank Fuel Pump Access Panel

answer for scrivyscriv yes, its a two door sport. I used strips of 3" wide sheet metal and self tapping screws to close it up. I banged it smooth with a hammer. Then I sealed it with silver hvac tape, its airtight. It turned out nice in the end. As for reference points of where...
  6. J

Thanks Jakee. I'm absorbing what you have shown. I have heard about hobbs switches. I wouldn't mind adding one to my setup anyways, and adding it to as my second Analogue input on my X3 datalogger. I'm going to research them, and then decide this weekend. My turbo has never made any real...
  7. J

making progress Well, just a little update here (if anyone cares!). The truck has the bigger fuel pump and 42#ers in her and turbo all connected. Downpipe is just straight pipe right now, about 6' long exiting under the middle of the truck. Sounds too loud but ok for now. I put in a tune...
  8. J

Nozzle holder for fuel injectors

injector seat part name? I just broke one of these "seats" too? Did you ever find the proper name and where to buy them?
  9. J

How to: 1st Gen Gas Tank Fuel Pump Access Panel

gas tank access panel for 99 2-door sport Here is my pic for how I cut open, with grinder and tonnes of sparks, the access door on my 99 sport. The hardest part was removing the fuel line. I gave up on my PLASTIC connector kit after about 3 hours, and used a tiny tiny tiny screwdriver to...
  10. J

Thanks Jakee Thanks for the advice Jakee. I took it for its first drive (in several months!) and saw the boost gauge climb up slowly to about 3-4 psi, in 2nd gear, moderately accelerating to about 35 mph. When I would hit the brakes right after those "runs", I saw the boost slide up a tiny bit...
  11. J

Turbo Won't build boost. Any experience with Holsets? Now I'm worried my turbo is too big for my application. It is an HE351CW, and I think that my gas 4 L engine is too tiny to push it. When I plug up the exit of the compressor with a homemade cap/pressure gauge and rev the engine, i...
  12. J

My back is better. I finished welding the exhaust. Aside from several pinhole leaks on welds, and a few flanges that I guess need a squirt of red exhaust silicone, its done. I have tried running the truck. It doesn't spin the turbo at idle. I assume my exhaust leaks too much. As soon as I...
  13. J

Thanks Jakee. Now more questions... I have made some progress in this turbo install. Work was really bad lately and I've been struggling to keep our company afloat... Getting back to my dust covered truck. Its been on jackstands for months now! I have the blow off valve installed right...
  14. J

I’ve started my turbo build. Here is what I have done, and where I am now. The truck is still up on jacks, and in pieces. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don’t have huge power goals, more so I just want to have the novelty of having a turbo on my truck right now, with all factory...
  15. J

See pic: Can the rear oil (galley) plug be used for oil return from a turbo?

More progress made. Yes, I should really talk to James, he has done some amazing things with his truck. So far, I have not decided on what to do with tuning. My truck is in pieces, and I really should make the call on tuning now, so that I can put my 42#'s in and get this over with in one...
  16. J

Question Megasquirt & Our Automatic Transmissions

more than one year! Lol. Over a year. How time flies! Well, I'm still unsure which way I will go. I really am impressed with the things I've seen on this forum with respect to tuning done by others (Henson, etc). The SCT pro racer package seems like the best thing out there. I just...
  17. J

still no luck TurboCat, I would be grateful if you could post a pic of that oil return. I searched your old posts and noticed that you hadn't gotten around to posting that particular pic yet. I have searched the timing cover, and the only place that I could envision the tapping or bulkhead...
  18. J

Cobraguy, as shown in the picture below, there isn't enough space to put the return bung anywhere, eespecially such that there is at least 1" clearance above the top of the oil level. I will be spending the day tomorrow just on this objective, so any advice/help from others on this forum...
  19. J

Thanks gijoe for the response. Please see the below excerpt about these engines (upside down view)... Do you think that there is enough meat to cut and tap a drain plug? To even get this tapped, I think I will have to drop it from the truck. I was looking under the truck the other day...
  20. J

I've seen and read about the rear oil galley plug on the rear of my 4.0 sohc. Is this an area of pressurized oil? Even if it is pressurized, is it a good idea to connect the return side of the turbos oil line to it? The turbo would then be higher than the return line... I've looked at other...
  21. J

Southern Ontario Members...

I'm in Toronto I'm from Toronto. I love this website. Use it weekly if not more often. A meet could be fun, maybe mix it with some other bigger venue. I've been farting around with piecing together a remote turbo setup similar to l8psiExplorer's and some other peoples too. There is a lot to...
  22. J

Help: Plastic on rearview mirror won't come off

i figured it out ok. I figured it out. I had to use excessive force to remove the plastic pieces from the top - both the rectangular piece and then the plastic clip on the top of the glass mount, in that order. Then I wedged a thin homemade tool as I show above and it depressed the tabs on the...
  23. J

Injectors

injector died One of mine died too. About a year ago. It took a while for me to diagnose, i noticed that listening to it with a piece of pipe allowed me to hear it make a more faint ticking sound when compared with the other 5 injectors... it eventually died completely and the truck ran...
  24. J

Help: Plastic on rearview mirror won't come off

If anyone can help me on this, I would appreciate it. I've been stuck for hours on this and I'm pretty sure it (and I) will just snap soon. The rear view mirror on my '99 sport has the autodimmer and autolights features on it too. I need to remove it since I'm trying to sneak an led guage in...
  25. J

trailer wire hookup

1999 ford explorer sport trailer wiring connector It took me an entire day of frustration to find this: REESE 15241. 1995-2001 Explorer w/OEM tow package. 98-99 ranger w/OEM tow package. 98-01 b series w/OEM tow package. I had eventually found it at Canadian Tire for $21 Every hitch...
Back