Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

4R55E no downshift when coasting -EXP 96

Hi I have and old explorer which i bought like 13 years ago. It actually runs fine but is not my primary car anymore. Its a XLT 1996 4.0 OHV 4WD. It has the 4R55E gearbox. The odometer stopped registering miles at 115,x.. miles, but i guess is now near to 160,000. Transmission has been...
  2. M

Vehicle Speed Sensor Driven Gear

Hi, first of all my truck its a 96 Explorer 4 door , V6 OHV with the 4r55e and Control Trac 4 Wheel drive system with the rotating knob. i have read recently both threads about vss driven gear...
  3. M

I want my 4x4 back! Engages but no power to front driveshaft. Help!

I have the same exact problem with my explorer 96 4.0 v6 4wd auto since the last 6 years. You turn the 4wd knob from 2wd to 4wd and simply gets nothing, and turn knob to 4wd low and i simply get 2wd low, so shift motor its fine. Im in the same boat with you, just cant get the front axle to get...
  4. M

How to: The Comprehensive Brown Wire Mod Thread

Question? Having an Explorer 96 V6 OHV with the 4405 t-case. Teoretically, if one or both transfercase speed sensors are bad, you wont have power being transfered to the front at the 4WD AUTO position, because the TCC clutch coil wont detect the diferent speeds of both driveshafts...
  5. M

Explorer 1996 only 2WD and 2WD Low - V6 4.0 Controltrac

Still fighting this problem. I bought a new TOD Relay. Installed. Still the same. No 4wd in any position. Applied directly 12 volts to brown wire FROM AND EXTERNAL POWER SUPPLY to the harness from the transfercase and got front driveshaft locked. Could not move by hand. I t appears that im...
  6. M

A year away from my original post, i decided to give another try, since it was not repaired. Removed all the dashboard to try the brown wire mod,cut the wire that goes up and left, and tried to apply directly 12 volts, like the BWM thread said. No luck, got a blown fuse inmediately at the...
  7. M

Overdrive off button not working

Hi all. 6 months ago i was driving my explorer normally at the town,when i looked the transmission shifter with the od off button was not working.At first i thought the bulb wasnt working,but after a few miles driving at highway speed i was in overdrive (like normally should...)but i cant...
  8. M

Today has been my day off, and i tried to find what is the problem with my 4wd system. I read this: " 95-96 Your control knob should say 2wd, 4auto, 4low. First, we need to narrow it down to a transfer case issue, or a front axle issue. Step 1) Jack up the front end and place it securely on...
  9. M

Well, some years ago i did not posting something here....since my explorer has been a very reliable vehicle for the last years, i rarely have a problem, other than routine maintenance. My truck is a 4 Door Explorer 96, V6 4 liter, Automatic transmission, 4WD. Dad had the truck over a...
  10. M

Pics of Sub Boxes

I have a very basic system.Still building it. Sounds Good. Sony RA650CDX MPQ5X0 DBD Soundstream BX-12 Planet Audio 100X2 UsAmps XT2000D Kicker C128 I have the amp running at 4 ohms (subs are wired in parallel) 75 rms each he!
  11. M

OK Im Tired of Bad Gas Mileage..

Ok another update Hi Guys, long time no see...i have an update. I started to measure better my fuel consumption (Odometer in zero/fill the tank/drive some miles/fill up again/register miles traveled/drive more miles/fill up again/etc) and here are some conclusions. August 1.- Went to...
  12. M

Hi, here is an update: I changed the rear pads and the sway bar links.I filled yesterday and reset the odometer.I let you know guys what happened. I was considering using in my next oil change 5w20 or 5w30? Will that oil weight damage my engine?yeah, i want better fuel economy but i dont...
  13. M

Hi guys! thanks for all the responses: I´ll try to get a decent syntetic down here (it´s impossible to get amsoil).If i cant get it i´m thinking to put in my next oil change Mobil 1 5w30 Energy conserving,maybe that will help the mpg a bit. I wil try removing the crossbars when i dont need...
  14. M

Hi, since my dad had this Explorer i think we have never ever get great gas mileage.I remember with his calculations getting like 16 mpg.Now i drive the explorer and the mileage is worse! Im Getting right now 13 mpg maximun in city or highway,no matter how i drive, and thats without the A/C...
  15. M

Oil pan? Drain plug?

hahaha, thanks, i was busy installing a subwoofer box yesterday, so i did not wanted to crawl under the car. But well, tomorrow i will be doing air-oil-fuel filter change and oil change too, so i´ll have enough time to look under the truck...and a fuel bath :mad:
  16. M

Oil pan? Drain plug?

Which size is the wrench needed for the oil pan drain plug ? im too lazy for now to get under the truck... Monday i´ll be changing the oil too....
  17. M

Check Engine Light - 1996 Explorer

Check your catalytic converter and exhaust system: It´s still good (no cracks,leaks)? Does it smell like rotten egg ? It is clogged ? have a helper with this: accelerate the truck in idle and see if the cat is glowing red (like a turbo engine). This normally indicates a very clooged cat...
  18. M

Pics of Sub Boxes

Old setup, i really miss that amp.... Yeah, those are cheap 10's getting 300 wrms each. Sounded pretty good. Actual setup ? nah, i burned everything....
  19. M

Change your Power Steering Fluid, DUMMY!

Can you explain this procedure to me, Sir ? i am having the same problems that you had with the steering of my explorer, and, yes, the p/s fluid is black. Mine is a 96 v6 4x4 with 102,x.. miles. Edit: im sure its not leaking, at least visually.. Any help would be very appreciated...
  20. M

Factory JBL sub Amp...

Yes yes, i have searched the topic and read the sticky at the top of this page, but i really did not find a suitable answer to my question. Here`s the problem. Yesterday, a friend which had a explorer 4 door 95, had the JBL premiun sound with the CD changer, and with the subwoofer , too, but...
  21. M

Noisier exhaust and P0420 After tranny removal...

Thanks for the reply. I removed the muffler from the cats and saw inside....it looks clean, or at least i think so. No carbon buildup or something similar. I checked the 02 sensor near the end of the cat, and cleaned a little bit, but it was looking good. Well, i reinstalled everything, tighten...
  22. M

Noisier exhaust and P0420 After tranny removal...

Well, i had my tranny repaired due a leak in the bellhousing (it was the front pump seal) and was in the shop 2 days. Before that, i was getting ONLY the P0401 , which i think is for a bad dpfe sensor. After the transmission repair, i noticed a strange noise in the exhaust system; it was louder...
  23. M

willing to take the gamble...

Ok, i have been reading a lot about automatic transmissions. Well, my transmission has a leak between the engine and the transmission. I went to the mechanic and he said it was probably the front pump seal or something like that. As many of you know, even if its a 10 bucks part to replace, labor...
  24. M

Slow to engage...4R55E

Ok, i`ve checked and i think i found the problem. The leak is coming from the seal between the engine and the transmision. I have inspected in the bellhousing if there are any broken parts but i guess is the main seal. So, what i can do ? do i need to change that seal ? i know i know, its gonna...
  25. M

Slow to engage...4R55E

Hi.Yesterday i was driving my truck, parked it and went to buy some things. When i came back to the truck, i observed some ATF in the floor. I looked under the truck and noticed there were ATF , relatively under all the truck (this is, transmision, t-case, muffler, gas tank, cats, everything. I...
Back