Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. N

Drivers side air vent not blowing

Nope, nor have I fixed it on my current Explorer. I actually forgot I had posted about this again when I got my current truck so sorry for revising such an old thread. In my other post, someone mentioned a partially opened blend door being a possible culprit. My blend door is definitely broken...
  2. N

Removing trans/ how to test xfer case?

Anyone with experience removing a trans from an AWD explorer, I could really use some advice. If like to get this thing figured out. Thanks
  3. N

Removing trans/ how to test xfer case?

Hey guys, my truck wont move after a loud noise upon acceleration. I initially thought it was the transfer case since the truck rolls in park. Took out the xfer case and as far as I can tell its working. The front and rear shafts spin when I turn the output(?) shaft. No crunching or weird noises...
  4. N

Trying to diagnose transmission prob. Truck won't move

I have a 97 AWD v8 explorer. My wife accelerated from a stop and heard a very loud snap and shatter sound and the truck wouldn't move. If you shift it from park you hear a grinding sound. Any year you out it in has the same result. The truck rolls freely even in park. That made me think the...
  5. N

any idea what this clicking noise is? (Video)

Video 2: Video 3:
  6. N

Is this fluid the right color?

I just read on a Chevy Blazer forum where a guy had a similar situation I have. His transfer case vent tube was leaking fluid also. When he opened the fill plug, his Tcase was also over filled. Turns out those trucks have a problem where the transmission rear seal goes bad and the fluid leaks...
  7. N

Any idea why it look the way it does? I dont know the history of this truck. Thanks for the info!
  8. N

I have a post about locating a leak somewhere in the transfer case area: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357943 Im trying to find the source of the leak but I am also confused by the color of the fluid. My trans fluid is red but this stuff is a clear-ish black. I was told...
  9. N

What is this tube and could it be leaking fluid?

My transfer case seems to have a leak and I cant tell if its from the seem where the two halves meet of if its from this tube. There is what looks to be fluid sprayed above this tube which is open on top. The front of the vehicle is to the left of the pics. Thanks in advance 1997 Explorer. V8 AWD
  10. N

Rear main seal leaking

I used Bars in mine and its no longer leaking. Awesome.
  11. N

Way to tell if Torsion bars have been adjusted?

cool I'll check it out. thanks.
  12. N

Way to tell if Torsion bars have been adjusted?

I want to do the TT adjustment but I noticed that the bolt heads have signs of being adjusted before. (A little rounding on a couple edges). I dont want to do damage by over extending things. Is there any way to tell if they have been adjusted already? Or could I loosen them all the way back...
  13. N

Need stereo to run stock cd changer

Not sure which one came in the '97 but this is like the one that was in my '95 I dont see any CD Changer controls though. Anyone have a pic of a stock unit from a '97 with cd changer controls? Thanks. My aftermarket stereo was stolen last night so its time to get a replacement. If anyone has...
  14. N

Need stereo to run stock cd changer

My explorer came with a crappy aftermarket cd player that broke. I have a stock cd changer in the truck that id like to use. If I pick a stock cd player from ebay, which one will work with the cd changer? Thanks
  15. N

Power door locks don't work

Does the button on the driver's side work but the rest dont? Cause that happened to mine the other day. The lock out switch got pushed and when I set it back to normal mode, it hadnt fully clicked over so I thought the passenger side switch was broken. when I realized that only the drivers side...
  16. N

recording of noise when cranking wheel

what ever ended up being the problem? Mine does this too when I turn the wheel left and right
  17. N

Yay I can finally open my doors from the outside! ha

Both of my front doors had the infamous broken yellow clips. Picked up a couple from the Ford dealer for $5 each. I feel like a normal person now not having to reach for the inner handle from the rear doors! And theres a broken one in front. Easy fix!
  18. N

Rear main seal leaking

did it work?
  19. N

Second Explorer with Drivers side air vent not blowing

Awesome, thanks for the tips. I'll check those things out and see what I can find. How random is that? 2 explorers in a row with that prob. Is it common?
  20. N

Second Explorer with Drivers side air vent not blowing

So I had this problem with my 95 explorer and posted here but never got an answer. I have the same problem with my 97 so I'm thinkin there must be something in common here. My drivers side vent only trickles air out of it. The open/close switch is in the open position. I removed the guage...
  21. N

which lift gates are interchangable?

So I could put a '98 or newer lift gate on my '97 if I also bought '98 or newer tail lights? Always thought the newer body style lift gate would look better but figured it wouldnt fit.
  22. N

will it hurt to remove the front drive shaft to disable AWD?

cool. Something to consider I suppose. Thanks for the input guys.
  23. N

will it hurt to remove the front drive shaft to disable AWD?

Just bought a 97 v8 XLT with 190K miles and I have a lot of whining from my transfer case. I'm pretty sure its from the xfer case because it makes the same sound as a 4x4 does in 4 Low. Whines during acceleration as well as coasting. So I thought maybe I could just pull out the drive shaft or...
  24. N

Unusual A/C Problem 97 Explorer XLT

I am having the exact issue. A/C is ice cold when set to MAX A/C but warm when the knob is set to Normal A/C. The A/C clutch engages on both settings. I thought the blend door problem resulted in warm air no matter what setting you had it on. The door is basically not closing (or opening, I dont...
Back