Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Passenger Side Ball Joint Adj. Bolt

Thats my last option. Itll probably snap off when I try and take it out though.
  2. M

Does anyone know where I can get this bolt from? Tried the part store and they looked at me like I was crazy. The ford dealer also looked at me like I was crazy because they don't sell the 2 piece control arm anymore.
  3. M

Well I replaced my passenger side control arm yesterday. I managed to snap off the adjustment bolt on the side of the control arm. Is this a special bolt? If not then whats the size of the bolt?
  4. M

Wheel hop/locking

So basically need a transfer case? Well that's not good. I was just reading that even though the wheel bearings look fine they could still be the problem?
  5. M

Wheel hop/locking

So what could cause the wheel to lock up? What can I test? Need to do something soon because the Explorer isn't really drivable.
  6. M

Wheel hop/locking

There was a check engine light on. My sister's husband unhooked the battery so it reset. However the check engine light was always on for a different problem. Could the shift motor on the t-case be trying to engage itself? I know that its always "auto" 4x4 so maybe the front tires are...
  7. M

Wheel hop/locking

I dont have a scan tool to read the 4x4 codes. Front end does look fine. Cv joints aren't split, the wheels don't budge when in air.
  8. M

Wheel hop/locking

Skipped over your post somehow. Well it only happens sometimes. Also the 4x4 worked great last year and hasn't been touched been touched in probably 5 months. My sister uses this Explorer and she has a 4 year old and is about to have another child. She is worried about driving it until it...
  9. M

Wheel hop/locking

Anyone?
  10. M

Wheel hop/locking

I have a 98 Explorer XLT 4x4. I've been having a problem recently with it. When I turn the wheel while driving it feels like the front wheels skip or lock up. It makes a load banging noise and the steering locks up. Once it does turn it makes a grinding noise. Doesn't really feel safe to...
  11. M

Motor Oil?

That's what I told my dad, why switch with this many miles now. Thanks for the quick responses guys, oil change tomorrow.
  12. M

Motor Oil?

Well we have a 99 Explorer XLS with the OHV v6 with about 120k. We have been using 5w30 synthetic for our oil changes, but someone recently told my dad that using 5w20 would be better. Question is should we stick to the 5w30 or switch to 5w20? Any benefits? Thanks in advance. Pete
  13. M

Runs real rough when cold....

Those were the exact codes that came out. 171 and 174.
  14. M

Runs real rough when cold....

Well I'm posting this for my sister. She has a 98 Explorer XLT. 4.0 SOHC V6 4x4. When you start it cold it has a high idle and runs like it has a misfire and it chugs and shakes she says. It takes quit a while for it to actually warm up now also. Once it does warm up it drives normal. Her...
  15. M

Running rough

Ford dealership said Cyl #1 has no compression. They said that it seems to have valves working and seating. So all I can think of now is rings? Would it be easier to just swap motors or tear this one apart? Would a SOHC bolt right up to my Explorer?
  16. M

Running rough

So I broke down and took it to a shop. They checked it over and said there's nothing wrong with it. I think I'm going to have to make an appointment at the local ford dealership to see what's going on with this damn thing.
  17. M

Running rough

Ok did a lot of checking. There is no way spark is the problem. Fuel pressure is about 60 at idle at the fuel rail. Need to check the injectors now, but dont really know how. Anyway to check the iac? I changed the fuel filter and it seemed like it ran just a tiny bit better, just barely...
  18. M

Running rough

Plugs and wires were done about 2 years ago.
  19. M

Running rough

Going to work on it tomorrow. Any tips would be great. Maybe even a link I missed that would help me would work.
  20. M

Running rough

Well the other day I was driving and when I came to a stop my Explorer just started shaking really bad. Had some loss of power also. No cel or anything. Get it home and a half hour later when I'm checking it all I start it again and now it has a cel (Cyl #1 misfire). Today I checked the cel...
  21. M

99 Explorer OHV Dipstick?

Ok well the guy that changed my valve cover gaskets ended up breaking the plastic off of the oil dipstick so now I have to use pliers to get it out. Im gonna go to the junkyard tomorrow to pick one up. Now my question is, are the OHV and SOHC dipsticks the same or do I need a special one...
  22. M

Washer Pump

Two wires. What should I be looking for?
  23. M

Washer Pump

Well I found this weird. I took the pump out and ran wires from the battery straight to the pump and it worked. I plugged it back in and nothing. I checked the plug with a tester and that seems to work too. Dont know whats going on now.
  24. M

Washer Pump

Well when i tried to clean my windshield i held the button to release some washer fluid and nothing came out. I ran wires to my washer pump from the battery and it is working, but nothing comes out. Anyone have this problem before?
  25. M

Check Engine Light Came On

Wow thats crazy that the check engine light would come one b/c of that. I tried it and now the light is off. Well see if it stays off. Thanks Guys.
Back