Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. badge49

Did my transfer case just fail?

Just had this same issue come up with my rig over the last few days. I literally just got back from the shop, which said the transfer case needs a new fork and may need a new drum. An important note: that whine/grinding noise is a mechanical gear connection that separates when there is not...
  2. badge49

Flipping Ford 8.8 for Trailer Axle?

Thanks guys, still deciding on which way to go, but at least I know it can be done.
  3. badge49

Flipping Ford 8.8 for Trailer Axle?

I picked up a sweet little trailer that I'm building for off-road use. It needs a new axle with modern hubs. I want to mount a Ford 8.8 under it so I can have all the extra parts on hand if they were to ever break on the Explorer. Now here is the question I can't figure out: Can I just flip...
  4. badge49

please help me stuck in 4x4 ?

If you pull the 4x4 shift motor from the transfer case you should be able to stick a finger in there and move the selector to neutral or the equivalent. The motor that selects between 4-hi and 4-lo works by a worm screw that can fail to catch when its teeth wear. A replacement motor can be had...
  5. badge49

Add-a-Leaf Install: Step By Step "How-to"

Nope. The single AAL will support the arch your original springs while its installed. Adding additional leafs to a leaf pack that is spring-under will only lower you by the thickness of that leaf (1/4" or so). Since the AAL is not flat, you'll most likely gain a little more than an inch of...
  6. badge49

Add-a-Leaf Install: Step By Step "How-to"

Just installed my AALs today! I went the easy route and left the springs on the truck; just jacked up the axle and replaced the center pin. The new leafs gave me a bit of rake (about 1.5 inches), but now I can tow without the sag! My thanks go out to everyone who posted in this thread, it was...
  7. badge49

Fire Extinguisher Install

Looks nice and clean! I mounted mine similarly. Since it doesn't get used (thankfully) it became a convenient spot to wedge gloves and glasses next to the window. I like the axe too, needs a halligan above it!
  8. badge49

Quick '95+ Hub & End Link Questions

PB Blaster and propane torch were what I was thinking too. I have an extra hub laying around somewhere, just a real PITA to swap out, again.
  9. badge49

Want a 1 or 2 inch lift, keeping it cheap though

The shackles can be bought at PepBoys for around $20. The torsion twist is free. Use the search function on the Forum for the TT lift instructions. That will give you about 2" lift and allow 31" tires. The cheapest lift after that is a body lift.
  10. badge49

Quick '95+ Hub & End Link Questions

Today I replaced my rotors with R1 Concepts cross-drilled and slotted rotors... great stuff at a good price. Had no problems at all with their parts/workmanship. Anyway, as soon as I got the truck on jack stands I noticed my right front hub had play in it. The hub bolts are tight and...
  11. badge49

swing away tire carrier.

Not much has changed since I built the thing. Just got back from 5 days off-road in the NV Desert and it still works years later. Here's the link: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203426
  12. badge49

swing away tire carrier.

Frank - I built mine with parts from the local pick-n-pull. The bumper is a James Duff and I made the tire carrier with parts from the tire carriers off a Bronco I, Bronco II and Chevy Trail Blazer. I used a basic arc welder and its lasted 5 years with no plroblems.
  13. badge49

Carputer

I got one of those kits for the kids in the back seat. It came with wireless headphones and there is actually a built-in DVD player attached the rear of the screen. Paid $100 like 3 years ago at WalMart. Its cool and all, but I dont use it much since my netbook is more practical than my...
  14. badge49

Carputer

I did that I built a 10" screen into the radio bezel a while back. Fits well and the radio can be relocated to the slot below if you move the temp. knobs. Got my screen cheap from WalMart. Took a while to make, but it looks nice and I can plug any AV accessory into it from my center consol...
  15. badge49

WTF??? My odometer just quit!

Pulling the instrument cluster is pretty easy. Check and make sure the rectangle plugs are all secure on the back. Be careful with the gear select indicator cable if you have an AT.
  16. badge49

Electrical Hic-ups?

Fixed! I thought I'd give it one last look... Found the main pos. power cable was worn through against the lower EGR tubing. It only short circuited every once in a while because the EGR tubing has that fabric heat shield around it. Thanks for looking, ExplorerForum is great, mods can delete...
  17. badge49

Electrical Hic-ups?

Im pretty stumped on this one... I'll be driving along, under various conditions at various speeds, both towing and not, and for no apparent reason my truck has an electrical hic-up. It happens sparratically once or twice every 50 miles or so. My radio and all lights completely turn off...
  18. badge49

slide out tool box

Go to Galls.com to get an idea of what law enforcement and firefighters use. I've seen the setups in person and they're awesome. Way durable.
  19. badge49

mystery switch

Use a volt meter to see if those wires have power running to them?
  20. badge49

Rocker panel trim

I took my white ones off a long time ago for clearance issues. (They're the same as that pic, but white.) They come in two parts each, the running board and the front end/corner piece and are held on by plastic clips. You're welcome to have mine if you want to pay shipping from CA to CO. May...
  21. badge49

Screwing through sheetmetal...

Looks great! Did you take any pics of your bolt locations when you had the plastic trim off? I was thinking of doing something similar to this.
  22. badge49

OEM Radius Arms

For a SOA application, would a lengthened set of those fix axle wrap?
  23. badge49

OEM Radius Arms

Maybe I'm using the wrong part name. This is what I'm refering to as a radius arm. It's from "pimmpedout97x" thread (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182301).
  24. badge49

OEM Radius Arms

The other day I saw a 2nd Gen. Eddie Bauer with OEM rear radius arms. If you took that OEM setup and did a simple SOA, would those little radius arms hold up or bind too much?
  25. badge49

I'm looking for information on performing a 5.0L to diesel conversion.

Search the site, I saw a Ranger with a Cummins in it posted up not too long ago.
Back