Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. O

Can a bad PCM make a tranny fail?

Is there anyway a faulty PCM (powertrain control module) can make a 5R55W transmission fail? Such as the losing high gear and destructing the high gear band? The engine is running fine still and the problem originated when I was cruising down the highway and all of a sudden lost OD and 5th...
  2. O

Ford Factory Rebuilt Tranny Failure at 16K Miles

Dealer put the new transmission my XLT. But there is something wrong with it, that is all the specifics I have at this time. Tomorrow I will learn if they corrected the problem or must but in transmission #3.
  3. O

My Explorer has the factory installed Class III hitch btw. I hope the new transmission resets the warranty...i.e.3 more years/100k miles. We will see. Exproblems...I hope your tranny is trouble free. I had no warning at all. Cruising down the highway at 60 mph and then BANG!...no OD or 5th gear.
  4. O

About 2 years and 16000 miles ago I had my Ford Dealer install a factory rebuilt transmission in my 2002 Explorer. Last week, while on a road trip I lost overdrive and 5th gear. The dealer in the closest town said they would need to remove the transmission and go from there. I had my elderly...
  5. O

How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny????

2 years ago I bought a Ford Factory Rebuilt tranny for my 2002. 16000 miles later, last week in fact, the tranny died. It is at the dealer now, probably the tranny will be replaced again. However this time it will be under the 3yr/100k mile warranty. I am a bit surprised that a factory rebuilt...
  6. O

2003 fish tailing

My right rear camber rod failed and was causing a similar swerving on turns. I bought the part from Ford, $130, and installed it myself. Part of the problem showed up when my RR wheel was toed out waaay too much. The RR wheel would not hold its alignment anymore. The rear will need to be...
  7. O

Rear.. tie rod end? alignment rod?

My right rear toe link has gone bad too. Lots of play in the bellows joint that bolts on the chassis. Mine is the earlier version, vehicle built in 6/2001. I'd like to change it myself but don't want to be crawling under the vehicle with the RR wheel off.
  8. O

Rear Wheel Negative Camber

I'm glad I found this thread, tomorrow I am having my squatting Explorer looked at. That camber kit is pretty neat.
  9. O

Front Differential Oil Change

That's exactly what I did. Suctioned out as much as I could get...then refilled with Mobil 1 75W90.
  10. O

Replacement Audio for 2003 Explorer

The CD platter is located in the radio on this model. Is that what you are saying you can replace? If so I need to do it also. Where did you buy the platter? Thanks!
  11. O

Changed T-Case with Castrol Mercon V, bad?

I've had that same Mercon V fluid in my xfer case for a long time now and all is fine. yours will be too.
  12. O

Rear Blend Door Actuator Question

I replaced my rear actuator with a Doorman 3 or 4 years ago and it just failed this week. How much does the Ford actuator cost?
  13. O

Suggetions on a front wheel hub assembly

I bought all 4 of mine from RockAuto.
  14. O

Diff Plug Thread Sealant – After the Fact

I recently changed the rear differential fluid and didn’t know I was supposed to use Teflon tape or RTV to seal the threads. Now I have an irritating slow seep that leaves spots on the garage floor. Is the plug thread ¾” NPT? I was thinking to buy a PVC pipe plug so that I can do a quick plug...
  15. O

How to: 2002 Explorer rear wheel bearing replacement (pictures)

I replaced all four bearing in my 02 Explorer. Expensive, yes, but my highway mpg has gone up to 22+.
  16. O

How long will new clutch pack last?

You might want to change your diff fluid and put in new friction modifier before you replace the clutch packs. I have read where that has cured quite a few shudders.
  17. O

Interior lights stay on

Why are you guys removing the door panel if the break is in the wire in the rubber boot? I fixed mine a while back by sliding the boot away from the wire far enough to fix it. It is broken again, because again, the puddle lamp has stopped working. Has anyone bough a new wiring harness yet? It...
  18. O

Oil Filter --very strange

First oil I did on my Explorer I had the double gasket whammy. Oil everywhere.
  19. O

Another failed transmission story... and question.

I replaced the transmission in mine last year too. now I am replacing all four wheel bearings. I hope this is all I need to do to it for awhile. I should trade it in on something sensible like a Fiesta.
  20. O

Differential Fluid Replacement

I bought a suction gun, kinda looks like a grease gun without the grease spout. Sucks the old oil out pretty well from the fill hole. Refilled with new semi-syn oil. Wasn't hard at all, I've done it twice so far. Also change your transfer case oil with Mercon V, it is easy to do. What kind...
  21. O

How I changed my 05's Front Wheel Bearing

I just ordered the Motorcraft hubs from RockAuto. $164.23 each delivered using a 5% off code. These include new bolts too. I'll be glad to get them installed and "hear" the quiet again. :thumbsup:
  22. O

4x4 does not work

This is what I bought for mine. Post 172
  23. O

And 4L2Z1104AA appears to be the part number for the front hub for the 4x4. 4L2Z1109AA is the rear hub.
  24. O

OK then. It was described as a "kit" so that threw me off. RockAuto is $344.45 with shipping for two. That sounds the best so far.
  25. O

What part number did you order from RockAuto? Did the 3 bolts come with it? I see something called a MOTORCRAFT Part # HUB67 for $167. Is that it?
Back