Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

Replacing Jackshaft & Left cam cassette tensioners...and more?

Good day, Okay, a few key points... You should always use the tools that hold the cam in place... I say this cause I get a lot of grief from those that believe it is a must to do this job. I did not use the tools to hold the cams in place... Since the tensioner was shot, there was a...
  2. G

Timing Chain Pictures!?!

The only thing I hear is the slight valve train noise... the normal stuff that means everything is working... I think you only need the new cam tensioner as it seems to go away when warm... Once the oil warms up and builds up a bit of pressure to keep the cam tensioner in place all is good...
  3. G

Timing Chain Pictures!?!

Good day guys and gals, I have finally gotten my 98 back together... I was asked if I had to lift the motor to get my main oil pan off... I did! I had to lift the motor over 1.5 inches AND I dropped the front axle until the CV joints were sitting on the lower control arms... MAKE NOTE: if...
  4. G

Timing Chain Pictures!?!

I totally agree that you should have the tool... I only removed one cam sprocket, and didn't touch the crank or cam while I had the bolt out... Technically, they should be lined up when I put the sprocket back... the fine tuning is already marked for me... Since I didn't replace the cam...
  5. G

Timing Chain Pictures!?!

If you are asking if I pulled the motor to do the work, the answer would be no... I did all the work with the motor in place, but the removal of the radiator allows plenty of room to work...
  6. G

Timing Chain Pictures!?!

OK, here are all the pics I have thus far... not including the ones above... I took this EGR tube out of the intake when I did the cam tensioner, this was easier since I could get to the bolt that kept the bracket in place. Just squeeze the tabs, and these (there are two)...
  7. G

Timing Chain Pictures!?!

Other posts I have read stated that it is impossible to remove the pan with the axle in place... Honestly, I don't know... But I think I will find out in the next few days... I am taking the Jack shaft bolt off now, but it seems like it isn't moving... Or it is, but it doesn't seem like it...
  8. G

Timing Chain Pictures!?!

I replaced the driver side cam tensioner and the noises went away... Then one day, it was very loud and not the sort of thing you want to hear a good bit from the house... I babied it home and parked it until the weekend (the one that just passed)... Found out what it was on Sat (late) and had...
  9. G

Whats my engine?

No question is dumb... Well, there is only one dumb question, that is the one you don't ask... If you have this double tube intake coming off the throttle body (missing in this picture), then you have a SOHC... It will be under a cover with four screws... If your engine doesn't look anything...
  10. G

Timing Chain Pictures!?!

Just got back from the Stealership... This is the new updated part... We can only pray the plastic holds up on this version... Total with gaskets came to $77 and change... I did not get the other side of the two guides... I will look into the price of it when I go back to pick up the cover...
  11. G

Timing Chain Pictures!?!

Got it!! Here are the pics I have up til now... The alt and bracket is easy to remove (3 bolts)... Ya gotta do the normal stuff, like removing the air breather and tube... I removed the Throttle Body, just to have that much more room to work... This is the alt and bracket out... With...
  12. G

Timing Chain Pictures!?!

Thanks much!!
  13. G

Problem with rear window latch button

I had this happen to me when I first got my X... I will have to pull the inside panel off again to remember exactly what I did to fix it... I think it was an arm that stuck out over the button... that arm releases the latch... If that arm gets bent forward from useage or the button being beat...
  14. G

Timing Chain Pictures!?!

Good day all! I tore apart the front of my 98 SOHC this weekend and my Jackshaft tensioner was in peices... I am up to seven including the metal bracket... I have many pics of the whole project thus far, but I don't know how to post pics... Anyone have a pic of this tensioner as a complete...
  15. G

Timing Tensioner? Confused.

The easiest way to tell if you have the new front tensioner is to look for it. Right behind and to the drivers side of the CTS is the tensioner for the drivers side chain. That "diesel" sound could be the loose chain hitting the inside of the cylinder head. Mine was really loud when I got to...
  16. G

Dealer won't perform Recall?

I think I just passed 145K and I am in the process of doing my 00M12 kit right now. I think I was pushing my luck with the chain tensioner because I started hearing it a month ago, and this is my wife truck... I did the research and told her to park it when I found out how serious it was... It...
  17. G

New to board... just got the 00M12 kit and

Thanks a bunch! I did a search, but that one got by me... I didn't have to remove the ECT, like it said, but it told me what I needed to know!! Thanks again! Bill
  18. G

New to board... just got the 00M12 kit and

I have a few questions. The tensioner is straight forward... Pull the old, throw into recycling bin and replace with new, updated version and new copper gasket. BUT in my worthless "FORD MANUAL" on CD, it doesn't go into where the long plastic rod goes, OR I just haven't found it... Does the...
Back