Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Y

Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration.

Wow, this thread seems to keep growing and growing. I have a 2011 Ltd, and a smell was there during heavy acceleration for the 1st 20,000 or so miles. Whatever it was, eventually burned off and it went away. The last time I smelled it, was when a newer explorer gunned it past me to merge into my...
  2. Y

Foul Smell in Cabin From Vents / AC

I have a 2011. Noticed the smell when it was new. Haven't noticed it in the past 18-24 months. It eventually just goes away.
  3. Y

New Navigation Card? (A4)

It appears the new map version has an auto zoom feature that is dependent on speed. That is what you are noticing. Check your zoom settings and toggle up and down. You will notice that (auto) will appear on some of them.
  4. Y

Holy Crap That Was Fast

Checked the Sync site. Said I needed the upgrade to 3.5. Followed the link. Ordered the A4 SD card. Showed up 24 hrs later (Memphis to Ottawa Canada). Downloaded the update to a USB drive. Installed it. All in just over 24 hours. Way to go Ford!
  5. Y

Rattle from driverside dashboard in cold, at highway speeds

Noticed it for the first time this week, but its been -18F here for the past 5 days. If its still there when it warms up a bit, I'll have the dealer look at it.
  6. Y

Paint Issues - Non Hood

The tri-coat white is one of the hardest colours to paint and to match up with the rest of the car. Proceed cautiously.
  7. Y

My 22" Rims-Your Opinion

Well, they say opinions are like a$$holes (everyone has one), so here's mine. I'm not a fan of bolt or stick on stuff like bug deflectors, the plastic over the side windows, mudflaps, floorboards etc. The lines of the OEM explorer are what sets it apart from the others and is the reason that...
  8. Y

Things to look for when picking up Explorer

I would focus mostly on exterior and interior finishes (the things that a dealer could say happened after delivery). Things like dents, scratches, loose carpet or upholstery. Everything else is covered under warranty. Drive the car for a month and keep a notepad in the car to write down any...
  9. Y

REVIEW: I picked up new 2013 Ford Explorer this past Saturday (3/31/2012)

"The XC60 is actually crossover" The same people that want you to believe that IKEA makes quality furniture, also want you to believe that the XC60 is actually a crossover. LOL :D;)
  10. Y

Navigation Experience

Thanks for the observations, I've noticed a few things as well in the short week since the update. As you had noted, there is a lag between when you would like to say something and when you can say something so it understands. I find that the lag was worse in the previous version so Ford has...
  11. Y

REVIEW: I picked up new 2013 Ford Explorer this past Saturday (3/31/2012)

"but you're comparing apples to staplers." Is exactly what I thought about comparing the EX LTD to an XC 60. Isn't the XC 60 just a station wagon vs the EX which is a midsize SUV? Martin V
  12. Y

Brake TSB - want new rotors

Seems to me that the dealership made more than good with the offer of the component warranty. I would take their offer. Even with new pads and rotors, you would be needing both before 70,000 miles. martinv
  13. Y

high pitch sound after shut down

+1 I have it too. It a very high frequency noise. Some may not be able to hear it. I'm not loosing sleep over it. Martin V
  14. Y

Unexpected high odometer

Peter, Both my 04 Explorer and my wife's Highlander are spot on! Martin V
  15. Y

Unexpected high odometer

I think there is definitely an error in how the speedo is calibrated on these vehicles. Maybe we could get the members here who have a GPS to check if there is a difference between the reading on the speedometer and the reading on the GPS. If enough of us do this, it will give us an idea whether...
  16. Y

Unexpected high odometer

Based on my GPS, my speedometer reads about 2-3 kph faster than my actual speed when running the 20" stock tires, and reads 4-5 kph faster when running the 17" stock tires. Really noticed it when I put the 17" winter tires on and set the cruise at 120kph. I was being passed like I was in the...
  17. Y

Highway MPG

Ditto for me. ............mv
  18. Y

Uploading v2.11 problems from thumb drive

You could try pulling fuse 29, or disconnecting the battery to see if something resets. If not, you'll likely have to go to the dealer. Good luck..........................mv
  19. Y

DRL (Daytime Running Lights)

I'm from Canada, so the DRL's are mandatory. On the 2011 EX, the DRL's are the parking/turn signal lights as others have mentioned. However, what has not been noted is that when the vehicle is put in gear, these lights are extremely bright. They have two levels of brightness. One level for the...
  20. Y

TPMS Sensors

Peter, I have the 20's on my LTD, and have noticed when I was using my handheld GPS, that the truck was traveling 1-1.5 kph slower than the reading on the speedo. Seems like the truck's speedo is set up to read more accurately for the Base or XLT set-up with the smaller rims. Martin V
  21. Y

Tires

Check the owners manual. You may have a factory road hazard warranty on the tires.
  22. Y

Media indexing

Ipod's are cheap. Why not buy one for each vehicle.
  23. Y

V2.11 MFT Update Available on SYNCMyRide.com

This is great. Mine took between 35-40 minutes. A few minutes for the nav to sort itself out. A reboot or two and all is well. The time saved from not having to go to the dealer is what makes this totally worth it. Great stuff Ford!!!
  24. Y

2012 Ford Explorer Tire Size

I'm in Stittsville. I'll check with Kanata Ford where I bought the truck. At least you've given me a local price that I can use to negotiate. Thanks. BTW, did you price getting 18's? Martin
Back