Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

8 cyl loom

Dang these old eyes. On the passenger side, the loom down under the alternator, can someone tell me how to unlock it. Thank you.
  2. M

Key out windows work

98 Mountie, 5.0 AWD. 109k miles. I pull the ignition key out and the elec windows still work. Suggestions plez.
  3. M

code 3 on 98 Mountaineer

Tried some Techron, still stumbles. Engine cooling now, for wife to try to reach the 3 plug and wiggle it some. With 43k miles on the platinum plugs and 109k on the original wires, I may just do a swap out.
  4. M

code 3 on 98 Mountaineer

Code 3 shows a misfire on cyinder 3. Where would you start? Next step?
  5. M

Any advice on the best oil filter?

Same vehicle here. Went to syn around 90k miles. I use a Motorcraft or if a top name if on sale with an oil deal. Wix, Purelator Pure 1, NAPA gold. All good. I researched this once on Bobs the Oil Guy. All the above names are excellent. The hard part for me is breaking the 3000 mile oil...
  6. M

Reliablity of AWD V8?

OK, here is the skinny. I got mine with 68k miles 4.5 years ago. It now has 102k. The only thing I have had to do was replace the Cam Position Sensor on top of the motor....see the sticky on it. I also was lucky enough to find a manifold bolt that fell out before any damage occurred. But...
  7. M

2000 XLT V8 with idle problems. Please help.

Definitely clean the MAF first. This should be done yearly IMHO. Very easy. Use an electrical spray cleaner and be gently on that little wire sensor.
  8. M

seafoam and oil viscosity

Seafoam and MMO are 2 of only 3 additives I use. Years of solid work. Highly recommended. After a couple of thousand miles, your oil should go down. This is the additive package in the oil burning off. Normal. When I am about 1/2 qt down, I like to add MMO, knowing an oil change is...
  9. M

Which oil to use for a 2000 explorer with a 5.0 v8

NAPA full synthetic...which is Valvoline Synthetic. On sale here every 6 months or so, and I buy a year's supply. $3/qt. Not bad. M/C oil filter. Since my 98 Mountie only gets 250 highway miles per week, I usually change the oil every 6500 miles or so. I spent a couple of weeks on Bobs...
  10. M

Squeaking noise when turning the steering wheel

Easiest way to check to see if squeak is the ball joint: Have someone in car. Put your finger tip on the ball joint. Have them turn wheel. You will "feel" the squeak. Listening for it will take forever.
  11. M

Parasitic drain tip

I just completed my first attempt at this diagnosis. For newbies like me, take note. Here is the way to do it. Disconnect the neg battery cable. Attach a jumper wire to the cable and post. You should hear a "click". You have just reconnected the circuit and that click is the computer...
  12. M

85 mill amps reading

98 Mountie, 5.0 AWD, 100k miles, 2 yr old battery. Southern Mississippi where it has been very cold for days. Single digits. Noticed battery not holding charge. On the parasitic drain test, the reading was 85 after disconnect, and 1 hour after disconnect. During the later test, I heard a...
  13. M

5.0 awd problems in the snow

A decade of OTR driving in a big rig is behind this observation. Just as many SUVs go off the road as 2wd cars. You have to drive an AWD or 4wd with the same caution on ice like any vehicle. Yes, 4wd can help. But, too many see it as a "magic thang" that will prevent the vehicle from...
  14. M

Annoyingly loud creeking noise?? Help please!!

Been here. Hard to find squeak with long tube to ear. Have someone get in car and turn steering wheel. Put your finger on the lower ball joint. Feel the "squeak". that is it. If your seal is broken, get a needle grease appier and inject grease. Done.
  15. M

Helpful thread, for squeak, squeal, chirp noise from V8 and OHV v6 engine compartment

18k miles later, my Dorman Cam Snyc gear is fine. Forgot I replaced it.
  16. M

"New" 1997 Mounty 5.0

Make sure all exhaust manifold bolts are in place. Clean the MAF.
  17. M

Crappy ride... Or am I too picky?

My 98 Mountie rides like a chuckwagon. If you find a softer ride, plez post.
  18. M

Very Squeaky Front End Suspension

I fixed my two squeaks by spraying silicon into the bushings; and, having someone turn the wheel as I placed my finger on the lower ball joints to find the location of the squeak. You will feel it. I used a needle grease nipple and refilled the ball joints. Hope this helps.
  19. M

97 Ex 5.0 Squeak

Knob: Please put your post in the sticky on this topic. This is a common problem.
  20. M

Is maaco okay???

iffy. I would only use them to put a cheap paint job on a car I was selling.
  21. M

97 5.0 AWD front end noise

I have a 98 and had the same problem. Turned out to be the lower ball joint. Get underneath and check if the grease boot is broken. I used a needle greese gun adapter to put grease back in. Also, use the touch method to fine the problem. Have someone turn the wheel while you put your finger...
  22. M

Belt squeal...

Make sure you have the correct Dorman part number for your year. Did a Dorman sychro swap on my 98 a year ago Sept. Good to go.
  23. M

Oil Additives

Best place to research all additives is Bobstheoillguy.com.
  24. M

Camshaft position sensor

I replaced mine almost 18 months ago using a Dorman part and have had no problems. The Dorman rep was very helpful; as I was sent the incorrect part. As an aside, I was worried after installation that the part did not match up exactly with my scribe mark. No problems, and I don't think about...
  25. M

seafoam, Does it work?

I use every 6 months. Was afraid to try it for 18 months; but after I did my first, I was hooked.....BUT.......with 800k miles??? Wow. You might let loose some gook and block the oil screen. Congrats on that many miles. Your Ex owes you nothing.
Back