Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Heavier Oil to reduce cold OHV clatter

Did I say that it would repair worn parts ?
  2. R

Heavier Oil to reduce cold OHV clatter

A can of Engine Restore quieted my lifters.
  3. R

1993 explorer coolant leak?

I'm not talking about at the same second, they both fail. In my EX, the gas gauge was not working, and the pump was singing a bad song. I replaced the whole thing, and what a difference. That's all I'm saying. Have a good evening!
  4. R

IS true. If they are the same age, they will fail concurrently.
  5. R

Gas gauge not working is a sign of imminent fuel pump failure, as the sending unit is probably bad.
  6. R

What are the numbers for NORMAL

1. It's sounds like you have air in the system...do a search on "burping" the cooling system. 2. I'm not sure how accurate the gauge is, but mine has run consistently just below the "R". When it's real cold out, and the engine is cold, the gauge will fluctuate a few times as the thermostat...
  7. R

Pinging noise in engine, 1993 Explorer, 4WD

For the record, I have been running mine on 20-50 synthetic for the last 11 years. It has about 245,000 miles on it, and runs great. Highway mileage is about 22, city about 17. Nothing has "clogged up".
  8. R

Pinging noise in engine, 1993 Explorer, 4WD

I strongly suggest trying a can of "Engine Restore" into the crankcase before tearing into your top end. One can fixed my lifter noise. And switch to 20-50 syn oil if you're not there already.
  9. R

Brake problems

It is not at all hard. Just be methodical. Do you have a Haynes manual, or comparable manual? The booster has to be "bench bled" before it is installed, you just need a good vise to do this. The booster is simply a job of unbolting, remove, replace and re-bolt. Just make sure the actuating...
  10. R

Brake problems

I can guarantee you that if the M/C and Booster have never been replaced, you don't need to "check" anything. Just go ahead and replace them. And while you're at it, since you have already done new cylinders in the rear, I would strongly recommend you replace the front calipers as well. You...
  11. R

Brake problems

And if you hear a hissing sound when you press the brake pedal, you probably have a leaking booster, which would pull power from braking action.
  12. R

Rear Brake Question

I bought my Ex brand new, and it definitely did not have paint of any color in the areas like your brakes.
  13. R

Replacement Center caps

You pay the shipping, that's all.:) Just send me a PM with your name and address. I will ship them USPS and enclose the shipping cost receipt, along with a self-addressed envelope for you to send the reimbursement to me. Does that work for you?
  14. R

Replacement Center caps

I have two...pretty good shape...do you want them?
  15. R

Leak

It's probably the rear main seal of the engine, the 4.0 is notorious for this. It's an easy fix...just separate the engine and transmission, pop out the old seal, drive in the new one, and you're good to go! LOL:D Seriously, I have simply put up with my leak for the past 12 years or so...
  16. R

Possible Stuck Valves - Old Farmers Trick?

I have certainly heard of this, and I have done something similar on a 75 Chevy Impala with the 350 that had been neglected because of oil changes. However, I did not use diesel, but a product at the auto parts store. This would have been in the mid-80's, so I don't remember what the product...
  17. R

Looking at oil options

Yes, that's the product. I used one can only. I use 20-50 to minimize oil usage. Also, it's an excellent hot weather oil as well, but I use it year round. And from what I understand about how they rate multi-viscosity oils, the first number is the flow rate, and the second is the heat...
  18. R

Looking at oil options

I have been running 20-50 Syn in my Ex for the last 10 years with no problems. And, about 6 years ago I started getting a lot of lifter noise, so I put in a can of Engine Restore, and the noise went away. Even after more oil changes, no more ticking.:us:
  19. R

factory service manuals

How much $ ?
  20. R

2 questions. Shocks n rotors.

Shocks: Bilsteins, hands down, lifetime guarantee. Rotors: PowerStop/PowerSlot/BrakePerformance In other words, not what you can buy at AZ or other parts houses.:thumbsup:
  21. R

please help if you can ?

Sounds like Josh and I are on the same trail. I would also wonder if you have a vacuum leak.
  22. R

please help if you can ?

More info needed. Under what conditions does the car die? Have you checked the pressure at the fuel pressure regulator. The FPR could be bad, and the fuel pump could be bad.
  23. R

Is it a cracked head?

It could very well be that your lower intake manifold bolts are loose...a common issue with Gen I's.
  24. R

Factory front mount tranny cooler?

Yes, my '93 Ex came with a tranny cooler because I ordered the towing package. And I am convinced that a major reason my transmission is still trouble-free at 250,000 miles is because of that cooler, along with good maintenance, adult driving, and 2WD.
  25. R

What is the best aftermarket fuel pump??

The best? That would be Motorcraft, hands down. RockAuto has it for $310.:thumbsup:
Back