Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Canadians? Daytime Running Lights Question

I am going to install a DTR module on my US 94 which looks like it has the correct harness plug on it located near the left side headlamp. If you have a factory DTR module, please either explain to me how it is mounted, or post up a photo for me. Thanks!
  2. S

How to: Ford Explorer - Ranger Radius Arm Bushing Repair

My experience: I replaced the right side only so far, using a Motorcraft bushing. My bracket had two rivets. I pulled the inner fender forward and tied it up to keep it out of the way. I ground and drilled the rivet heads. That part wasn't so bad but driving them out was near nightmare because...
  3. S

Intermittent rough idle on warm start....

OK, my hot start problem was similar to this. Hot start rough idle after it had sat for 10-20 minutes, worse in hot weather, not so bad in cold weather. The only thing that made sense to me was that the Air Charge Temp Sensor was getting heat soaked from the hot engine and cooled back down once...
  4. S

Who makes the good rotors nowadays? 1994 4x4 with abs

I don't necessarily. It's just a kit from Rockauto. Make life easy? Reliable rotors? Powerstop doesn't know good brakes from beans for a 94 Explorer? No idea, just random shopping for a reliable setup, it was mentioned up above in this topic and still available from Rockauto.
  5. S

Who makes the good rotors nowadays? 1994 4x4 with abs

Has anyone had any experience with this Power Stop kit from Rockauto? Looks like basic smooth rotors and ceramic pads. http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4660230&cc=1119631&jsn=514&jsn=514
  6. S

Ranger Wheel Size/Bolt Pattern

Thanks, that should do it.
  7. S

Ranger Wheel Size/Bolt Pattern

I have a situation where my daughter's truck is half a continent away and it needs new tires. I'd like to help her make a deal on some used tires and wheels, show up at the seller knowing that they will fit, bolt them on and drive away into the sunset. Her truck is a 89 standard 2wd, 4cyl...
  8. S

How to: Prevent a Fire Hazard!

From these photos it looks like you're able to remove the debris that's been sucked through by the blower, but is there anything else that collects the stuff for example directly under the air intake cowling at the windshield? I'm wondering if there is a collection box under there with a drain...
  9. S

EGR Solenoid Testing

I have a 89 2.3L that I'm trying to troubleshoot. This motor has a EGR solenoid on the passenger side of the engine compartment, fed by a red vacuum line from the motor, and a green vacuum line which feeds the EGR valve diaphragm. It has a single wire connector with red and black wires...
  10. S

Coolant Hose Clamps

Hi, does anyone know where to buy those nifty squeeze-together clamps for the smaller coolant hoses? The ones I need right now are for the coolant reservoir tube, but down the road I want to find some for the heater hoses too (using a couple spring ring clamps right now until I can find the...
  11. S

A/C Compressor Clutch

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I have tried to charge the system before but it seemed to not want to take much of any gas. Any tricks other than hooking the can up to the port and opening the valve?
  12. S

A/C Compressor Clutch

My A/C has always been a bit on the not so cold side. Today I turned it on while the car was idling, and watched the compressor clutch cycle. It runs for about 5 seconds, then off for 5 seconds, and repeats. This seems like it's cycling way to much in order to build pressure. Any ideas on this?
  13. S

Which Optima

Update: I bought the Optima 8002-002 34 Redtop. It fits fine, original cables and with the plastic adapters that came with it the stock hold-down fits as well. Thanks for the input.
  14. S

Which Optima

Sorry, I forgot to add that I do indeed have original cables.
  15. S

Which Optima

Anyone have any trouble getting the cables to reach the terminals? My positive lead is a very close fit for length as it is on my stock sized battery. Did your Optimas have any trouble with those center-mounted terminals?
  16. S

Which Optima

I'm looking online for a Red Top Optima, and wondering if anyone has experience with the different sizes of them and how they fit into the 91-94 battery tray. Looking at the different sizes and specs on the Optima web site it looks like the 25/35 battery would be just right. Other ideas?
  17. S

BEST PLUGS for a stock 4.0 OHV...?

You are either too hilarious or too insane to ignore. WTHeck are you talking about with your badass laser plugs?:rolleyes:
  18. S

BEST PLUGS for a stock 4.0 OHV...?

I just put in a set of Motorcraft SP486 plugs which I thought were the latest platinum design, to replace my Motorcraft 42PP plugs. On the 42PP plugs, I can clearly see a small piece of platinum welded onto the ground electrode, nothing on the SP486. My understanding is that the 42PP had...
  19. S

Heater Core

Maybe not more rows, but perhaps wider rows on the factory one I took out. The tubes were flush on one side and set away from the core frame on the other. On the replacement, the tubes were inset from the frame on both sides. Perhaps only 10-15% loss of surface area overall.
  20. S

Heater Core

I just replaced the heater core in my 94. I bought two different cores, the first one had a loose pipe, the second one from a different supplier seemed fine. However both of the replacement cores seemed to have at least one less row of tubes/fins than the OG one that came out. Is this just the...
  21. S

Where to Buy New Radiator

94 xlt A/T. Anyone have any thoughts on where to buy a new radiator? Do the chain parts stores have any less than desireable suppliers, or should I stick with a Ford unit?
  22. S

Rear hatch handle removal/replacement?

You need to pull the door panel, and it will be obvious from there what to do next
  23. S

1st Gen XP or Sirius PlugnPlay Install

Please let me know if you have any good ideas for how to install one of these portable units in the dash, perferrably up high so it's easy to see. tks
  24. S

Early DPFE Source

Thanks, I took a shot at Autozone, hope for the best.
Back