Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. E

Brake Analysis - What will Ford say?

Good info - hopefully I won't get "rotored" :)
  2. E

Great, thanks for the advice. We'll see what Ford says. Any idea of rough guesstimate on price?
  3. E

I'm taking my '99 XLT 4WD into the Ford dealership next week to fix a rattle and get a factory recall (seat bolt) fixed. I have 69,000 miles and have never done one thing to the brakes, and figured it would be good to know the condition of the brakes. I've never heard any squealing, they work...
  4. E

opinions on the sylvania silverstars

Agree - the Silverstars provide negligible extra brightness.
  5. E

H.I.D. Kits are now ILLEGAL and BANNED in the United States.

I'll buy that - good point. It would be nice to find a reference to actual text, just so we're not speculating here. But the mismatched lens idea makes sense.
  6. E

H.I.D. Kits are now ILLEGAL and BANNED in the United States.

This makes no sense. If the banning criteria = bulbs with no filaments, then how is that different than stock HIDs from BMW/Lexus/etc, which also have no filaments? That can't be the only criteria. Put another way - why aren't the aftermarket kits DOT-approved?
  7. E

Door speakers and MTX Amplified ThunderForm

Take head?!? I'll buy that!
  8. E

PIAA super whites

I didn't notice a difference either with my PIAA superwhites, unfortunately. My current Silverstars may be better on high beams, but that's not saying much either. Considering the Silverstars are cheaper - that alone makes them the better buy.
  9. E

blue looking headlights?

My Silverstars are the same as my PIAA Superwhites. Both are probably whiter than stock, but neither looks brighter IMO.
  10. E

I installed my Silverstars tonight, and...

Ha, me too! Old ones are good ones. Nonetheless...anyone have any idea what's illegal about those lights?
  11. E

Umm - isn't Illeagle a sick bird? How about a little more detail, like what exactly is illegal?
  12. E

What are these "clears" you refer to??
  13. E

ipozestu, I took a look at your web page - very nice! Good reference. I now understand it's not the actual harness that brightens things up, rather, it's the direct supply from the battery.
  14. E

Whoa! Don't everyone reply at once...! :)
  15. E

...I have to say they're slightly better than my PIAA Superwhites (which were somewhat better than my stock headlights). About the same on low-beams, and better on high-beams. Maybe it's just me, but I still don't notice an extraordinary improvement in brightness or illumination. Basically...
  16. E

Heavy Duty Headlight Wiring Harness Installation

I am curious to know how you measured this. Call me skeptical, but I find it hard to believe that a larger harness provides less resistance, enough to increase the voltage flow to your lights, thus making them brighter. Even if you increased your voltage to the lights by 1/10 of one volt due...
  17. E

Angel Eyes

Did those fit right behind the '99 foglight glass lens? How did they attach? Where did you mount the switch? DETAILS, please! :)
  18. E

My experience with Procarparts.com

I never ordered from them, but I called them so ask about availability of some taillights. I swear I was talking to a bunch of yucks in a SoCal taco joint. That was enough to frighten me from ordering from them!
  19. E

Dome light - gradual dimming "theatre dome effect"

I understand, and I'm not saying you can't do it, but...theory doesn't always equal practice! Most switching transistors can't handle large current draws (and remember there's more than 1 interior light), so either you have 1 module with a fairly large power transistor that you need to heatsink...
  20. E

Dome light - gradual dimming "theatre dome effect"

You could? How about actually building a few first, and then offering them for sale... :rolleyes:
  21. E

Silverstar vs. PIAA vs. Nokya

To me, blue lights don't look anything like HIDs, so why would you want them? The clear, focused intensity of HIDs just isn't there, and surely the blue coating filters out useful light. To each his own, I guess, but I think they look cheap. Although I'll admit today's blue lights are an...
  22. E

I guess I can't complain too much about the lows, as long as my fogs are on too (which they always are). But I really think the highs are abysmal! I guess that's why people here add a lot of aftermarket lights. :)
  23. E

I have the PIAA superwhites and I'm not impressed. They look nearly the same as stock. High beams still suck. I just bought a pair of Silverstars and as soon as it warms up a bit I'm going to install them. Overall I'm disappointed with the Explorer's lighting - our 2002 Camry does a better...
  24. E

Is it me, or does the red Altezza light look anemic?

I thought about adding Altezzas about a year ago or so, but I saw so many of them - plus those that I saw had a sickly pink-red light - so I decided not to. I'm now considering LED taillights from Ledtronics. The one thing that I don't know about is how they light up "less brightly" for...
  25. E

Is it me, or does the red Altezza light look anemic?

This isn't necessarily those on Explorers, but any Altezza. I think the red tailight looks pretty weak when it's "on". Most of them seem to have a slight pinkish tinge, and the light looks a lot more dim when compared to regular taillights. Anyone agree? Why is that? These are on...
Back