Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

Why are the speedometers in all three of my Fords off?

I've got 3 Explorers, and the two with 17 inch tires (05 and 06) are both off by 3-5 MPH (they indicate higher than GPS). The one with 18 inch tires is spot on. Possibly Ford is using the same settings for both 17 and 18 inch tires. Cheers, Gary
  2. G

Vehicle dies on accessory power or whatever you call it?

Sounds like the battery is about to fail. Replace the battery and see if that fixes the problem.
  3. G

help with Tire Monitor Fault

update I got the TPMS-19 relearning tool from Rock Auto and went through the procedure for TPMS relearning. It worked like a charm and got rid of the "Tire Monitor Fault". So, if you get the same error, try the relearning routine before replacing any of the sensors. Cheers, Gary
  4. G

help with Tire Monitor Fault

I just bought a 2006 Explorer EB 4.0 4x4. It has 66k miles and runs great except that every time I start the vehicle I get "Tire Monitor Fault" (which I clear with the reset button) and the low tire pressure light blinks for about 10 seconds before extinguishing. I have inflated all the tires...
  5. G

Whistle sound when A/C is running

my 05 4.0 does exactly the same thing. Always has and I've never had a problem with the AC.
  6. G

2005 Explorer 4.0 XLT AdvanceTrac RSC - PROBLEMS???

I've got an 05 Explorer and it's been bullet-proof. Far and away the most trouble-free of the third generation years.
  7. G

Low mileage 05 or higher mileage 07?

I have an 05 XLT sport (66K) and an 08 Eddie (42K). Both are excellent vehicles and both have been trouble-free. The 05 feels a bit more truck-like than the 08. Both have the V6. I'd save the $$ and go with the 05.
  8. G

Tire Howl

I seem to be getting the same thing. One cold morning I had my TPM go off, so I inflated all of the tires to 35 PSI. After that I started to hear a howl, starting about 30 MPH and by the time I hit 45, it goes away. I have Bridgestone Duelers, and plan to check/reduce the tire pressure on a...
  9. G

Tow Package??

Yes. If it has the tow package, it will have a "large" (2") square receiver in/under the center of the back bumper and to the left of that will be a circular socket with a spring-loaded flap. If it does not have the tow package, it will have a "small" (1") square receiver in/under the center...
  10. G

starting problem

I'm just starting to have the same issue with my 05 XLT. It happens once in a while, and always after it's been sitting for a whole day. I looked up TSBs on the 05 Explorer and found one #051016 that indicates "no start/hard start on cold soak - 4.0 L engine". I can't find any details on the...
  11. G

need some advice

Hi All, I am in need of some advice on Gen 4 Explorers. I've got a Gen 3 Ex (2005) and it's been bullet-proof so far. My wife's vehicle is about done, and I want to put her in an Ex. I know that the Gen 3 Ex's showed improving reliability with each year, and the 2005's have so far been...
  12. G

2005 XLT new to me

The only thing I'm aware of with the 05 Explorer is the fuel sending unit and gauge sensor. Apparently some 05's (mine included) have the fuel gauge all of a sudden read empty. It's the sending unit that is mounted on the top of the tank. Fortunately the extended warranty took care of this...
  13. G

Low Oil pressure

I have a 2005 Explorer and if I turn the key to "on" but do not start the engine, I get "low oil pressure" on the information center. It clears as soon as I start the engine and I bet this is the normal response for this condition. I wouldn't worry. Cheers, Gary
  14. G

05 Explorer Info Needed

50 mph (with deceleration before contact) and that's all the damage you have? That's exactly why my daughter drives a 05 Ex. Gary
  15. G

look what the dealer did to my Explorer!

it's back on the market..... Folks, Just for the sake of completeness, I wanted to let you know that the dealer who trashed my Explorer has now fixed it up enough to put it on it's own lot. I won't mention the dealer by name, but the truck is listed on Autotrader.com. The zip code is 48864...
  16. G

a question about the factory towing package

Hi Folks, I'm the guy who had his Explorer dropped from the lift at my local (idiot) dealer. The long and short of this story was that I have a very nice replacement Explorer, but now I have a question about it. The first question: Is there any way I can get the original equipment list...
  17. G

the new ride Well, folks, after all the irritation was done and I got the check from the dealer, it was time to turn the page. The new ride was a great deal and the people I dealt with on the replacement (Central Ford Truck in Lansing, MI) are outstanding folks. The new ride is shown below...
  18. G

got a replacement Thanks for all of your interest in this mess. I really agree with many of your comments. By the time I made it to the dealership this afternoon, they managed to dick me around for two hours before cutting me a check for my destroyed truck. Fortunately I was not upside...
  19. G

a relatively happy ending Folks, I spoke with the General Manager of the dealership and he immediately agreed to buy my truck for what it was worth when I drove it in. Can't ask for better than that. I can't say that I'm happy, but I couldn't have hoped for a better outcome. Now, it's...
  20. G

here are the pictures Thanks for the advice folks. Fortunately, nobody was hurt. I'm going to get a shark of a lawyer, then give the dealer one chance to give me a new truck. I'm still in shock. Anyhow, here's the pictures. This truck was in immaculate condition at 7 AM, and by 2:30 PM...
  21. G

I took my 2005 Explorer to my local Ford dealer today to have a small leak in the rear differential repaired (under warranty). The service writer called me six hours later to tell me that they had dropped my Explorer off the lift!!! What would you do? I'm definitely going to get a lawyer...
Back