Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Add 3rd Row Seat to a 3rd Gen

If you install the 3rd row seat, don't forget to change the side panels with the ones with the built in cup holders! :D
  2. J

2002 Rear D-Pillar Fading?

All of mine are doing the same thing (B, C, & D pillar). It looks like the clear coat (for lack of anything else to call it) is coming off.
  3. J

'02 3.73 LS differential howl

I agree with TECH. My '02 howls too. Come on Ford. Rear diffs aren't new technology. They've been around for years. BTW, is there a fix for this problem???? From what I'm hearing, a rebuild isn't the answer, especially if you use Ford parts again. :rolleyes: :mad:
  4. J

Transmission concern

Just curious. What "tells" the transfer case to engage when in AUTO mode?
  5. J

Transmission concern

Sometimes under moderately hard acceleration, my transmission feels like something is trying to engage and disengage. I'm wondering if it's the transfer case, and if it is, what's causing it. Under normal driving conditions, it doesn't occur. Any ideas? Thanks.
  6. J

Blinking Check Enginge Light without Codes (2003 V8)

A blinking light usually means a mis-fire. Had one on a Probe, turned out to be a bad plug wire....pull the plug wires and visually check the part of the wire that is down in the valve cover. My Probe had a cracked boot that was arching over against the side of the spark plug well.
  7. J

4x4 shift module??

Located behind glove box door, bolted to the blower housing.
  8. J

2002 explorer help w/ 4x4 please

The 4x4 module on the 02's are notorious for failing. I've had mine replaced once.
  9. J

What's the best brand of 5w-30 dino oil?

IMHO, Valvoline. ;)
  10. J

Outside Door Handle "Slack"

You can buy replacements pretty cheap on ebay. Get one, drill the rivets out on the old one, and bolt the new one on using a short SS stove bolt and a self locking nut (the type with the nylon insert). The hardest part is getting your hands up in the door and reattaching the linkage. It's...
  11. J

Wings West spoiler

Has anyone ever installed a Wings West spoiler on the back hatch of a '02 and up Explorer? Pics? Thanks. ;)
  12. J

Problem with exhaust...please help...

You should be able to take it to a exhaust shop and get a new piece welded to your cat.
  13. J

leaky abs -

Check with your Ford dealer. I bought a rebuilt unit for my '92 for about $120. When my RABS valve went bad, I had back brakes, but the fronts didn't work right. As far as bypassing the RABS valve, I'm not sure (someone else can answer) but it may also act as a proportioning valve???....I...
  14. J

HELP! Replaced my X-fer case a month ago, now CLUTCH is going... i think...

Pull your vacuum hoses off of the tee on the driver's side of the engine and check if there's ATF in them. You may be low on fluid due to a bad modulator valve.
  15. J

Mud Flaps...what Is The Best Fit

I've seen Ford splash guards on eBay that look like they would look good, but have yet to find any that will match the color of my painted wheel lip and lower body side moldings (platinum). Guess I'll try the dealer next.
  16. J

looking to buy 93 XLT, pros and cons?

I owned a '92 XLT for 11 years. Problems: 1. Fuel sender...easy fix 2. Vacuum modulator...fairly inexpensive repair by a tranny shop 3. Brake pads every 30K or so. 4. RABS valve...actually replaced it myself, not hard to do. 5. A u-joint here or there. 6. Master cylinder. 7...
  17. J

OK who's fixed their own emergency brakes?

If it's a frozen cable, it's pretty straightforward to replace.
  18. J

Platinum body moldings

I have an 02 XLT with the Sport pkg. that among other things, came with painted wheel lip & lower body side moldings. I'm looking for some touch up paint for the moldings, I believe the color is called PLATINUM, but can't seem to find that particular color in most auto parts stores. The only...
  19. J

Transmission Drain Adventures

Not knowing any better, I yanked the transfer case off the back of a manual tranny in a '88 Ranger without draining the tranny first... geez, what a mess. :eek: As far as autos, I take them to a tranny shop for a filter and fluid change. :D
  20. J

4X4 not working on 2002 XLT

Open the glove box and press the retaining tabs inward to allow the glove box to swing down and out of the way. The module is bolted to the blower housing and is black in color. I took a picture of mine, as soon as I figure out how to insert a pic, I'll update this post. Check all of your...
  21. J

Fogged up windows

Try driving around when it's cold with 4 people in the car and everyone is talking! :D
  22. J

2002 XLT 4X4 not working

It could possibly be a bad 4x4 module, which is located behind the glove box. I had to have mine replaced shortly after I bought my used '02. The symptoms were the same as yours, absolutely nothing happened when the buttons on the dash were pressed.
  23. J

Dual Exhaust

Summit Racing has it for around $815, but that's still too expensive!
  24. J

Dual Exhaust

Borla has one: http://www.borla.com/applications/lookup.aspx/2002/Ford/Explorer/XLTStainless_Steel_Cat-Back_System/140007/ but it's around $800!!!! :eek: :eek:
  25. J

'02 4X4 Eddie Bauer Rear End Issue

O.K.....my '02 XLT has a very slight "whine" at highway speeds, if you turn the radio down, but my question is........ Is the rear axle actually self destructing, or is the noise caused by an improper backlash adjustment, etc.? I have 35K on mine, I'm assumming it's nothing more serious than...
Back