Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Bits and pieces of plastic.

The broken plastic part does not look like the story I have to pass on but here it is anyway. We were the second owner of a 1993 and the emergency brake problem did show up with it. There was a recall on the problem. When you applied the parking brake the pedal would go all the way down and...
  2. D

Change spark plugs

Okay, let us just keep life simple. Use the same numbered double platinum on both sides and all issues are covered.
  3. D

Change spark plugs

1993 Explorer at 94,000 miles put new plugs in. The stock plugs in cylinders 1 2 3 were Motorcraft AWSF 42PG. Cylinders 4 5 6 were Motorcraft AWFS 42P. Replaced with Autolite AP765. Next plug change out the grounds on 1 2 3 were eroded some. Passing on a post explaining why. OEM Motorcraft...
  4. D

At my wits end. Water pump just will not come out - 3rd attempt..

Not my story but will add it to the list. A true shade tree mechanic that had the ways, means and knowledge welded a nut to the bolt not wanting to come out to get the job done. Good luck with your removal problem!
  5. D

Solved 1993 Ford Explorer XLT Temperature Gauge Dead

Temperature Gauge Reading Low I assume the problem is the thermostat staying open but does anyone have resistance readings for the sensor. Engine cold with air temperature around 60 degrees I get a reading of around 400 ohms. What checking I have done lets me know with heat the resistance...
  6. D

Part # PCV valve to Intake (Hose)

1993 Explorer pcv valve grommet Any input for a source of a pcv valve grommet? At Ford the price is in the $15.00 range. I did get one from the automotive parts Help rack years ago and it was not a good fit. I think that was Doorman 42049.
  7. D

94 Eddie; Carbon from exhaust; carbon fouled plugs...

Black Smoke 1993 Ford Explorer A later date but maybe my story will help the next guy. Problem: Vehcile running real rough, low power and lots of black exhaust smoke. At idle to keep it running you had to give it more gas. Having trouble codes checked at local auto supply showed no...
  8. D

Shudders when I accelerate.

Shudder or vibration is a good way to state my situation. On my 2 wheel drive going from 35 mph to highway speed it was more noticeable. It made you think you were on a very rough road. By the advise of two transmission service centers I replaced the universal joints. The back one was bad...
  9. D

How to: 1st Gen Gas Tank Fuel Pump Access Panel

Thanks for the pictures and information step by step. It sure would help also to have reference points by dimensions on where to make the cuts. Where to make the cut from the top and bottom and left and right. 1993 XLT. Thanks, Don
  10. D

Seat Belt Receiver Removal

On my 1993 I did it my way. I didn't remove the seat or the console. My way may take longer but less is tore apart. Work slow and patient. Unplug the seat belt switch. Position the seat and seat back to aid in getting the job done. Remove the number 50 torx head bolt that holds the back of...
  11. D

Audio Problems

I'll have to think about what you are telling me. It could be I have more than one problem, but the fact is the system I have is all stock. I think it is getting worse with time. Could the problem be the amp and my test methods are not good enough for me to beleive that is the problem? When...
  12. D

Audio Problems

With a 1993 Explorer with stock JBL sytem all speakers make a popping noise when using the multi function volume -/+ switches in any mode. As far as I can tell this system only has one speaker in each door. At low volume there is static and no audio. There is some distortion in the front...
  13. D

Wheel Bearing Question

Dust Cap Both fronts were repacked not too far back but if I remember this was happening before. This is at the dust cap where the grease comes out so may just put a new cap in place. Thanks, Don P.S. I have now replace the dust cap with a new one and at this time all looks great...
  14. D

Wheel Bearing Question

On the front drivers side of our 1993 Explorer 2 wheel drive a small amount wheel bearing grease comes out around the grease cap. This is just a small amount but does make it to the outside onto the wheel. Does anyone know the cause of this and the cure?
Back