Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. E

Alternator VS old battery

I've got a 5-6 year old battery that may need replacing, I just want to confirm some symptoms before I replace the battery and kick myself for not replacing the alternator as well. The other night, I had the headlights, defroster (AC compressor engaged), heater blower motor running, and wipers...
  2. E

MAF issue???? or idk

Which harness connector was bad? I have an 94 Eddie that runs rough at idle but smooths out at speed. I tried cleaning the IAC valve and didn't help much, I'll try it again when I get time off from work, I'll replace it if I have to. She has over 196K and just did the plugs and wires, and when I...
  3. E

Where to get MSRP for my 17 year old EX?

Solved! Thanks for all the replies Thanks for the info, I've moved to maine and they calculate off of the MSRP, I was happy to find out that I was charged the bare minimum today for excise tax, about $80 for the year. AND I didn't have to apply for a Maine title, 1995 and newer cars need to...
  4. E

Where to get MSRP for my 17 year old EX?

I need to pay excise taxes where I am living and need an accurate source for an MSRP for my 194K+ 17 year old EX. I just don't want to be hosed by the tax collector. Would a Ford dealer have that? Or an on line source, like KBB, NADA, etc? Thanks! :thumbsup:
  5. E

Solved Your Stock Auto/Manual hub info - Ranger / 91-94 X

Minor question I swapped my autos for a set of Warn manuals and have had no issues at all, except one. I have the factory alloys and they fit fine over the hubs, BUT the steel spare tire does not!! Anyone else have the same issue? Thanks!!
  6. E

4x4 not working

PLUS ++++ 1,000,000 for replacing the auto hubs for manual. I learned about 4x4 on my dad's 1974 toyota land cruiser FJ40 and he had manual hubs. ALWAYS worked and never any doubt that they were engaged or disengaged. Now my '94 EX has Warns and totally eliminated the summer time clunks and...
  7. E

03 Mounty passenger side valve cover HELP

4.0 V6 From what I've read here, it's not something I'd want to tackle. Thanks for all that replied. If it were something easy like just replacing the cover, I'd do it, but it sounds like there's more to the issue than just a broken valve cover.
  8. E

03 Mounty passenger side valve cover HELP

So, my buddy's 2003 Mounty has a cracked valve cover, he said it was running rough and Check Engine Light came on, opened the hood when he got to a gas station and found that the rear corner(near the firewall) of the valve cover had a 3 inch hole in it. The engine turns over and the timing chain...
  9. E

94 explorer-starting problems

Check POS & NEG battery cables On my 94, I had to replace both POS and NEG battery harnesses 3 years ago. They were so corroded that I couldn't be jump-started. Bought a new battery, got home OK, then the next morning went to my Ford dealer and bought a complete set of cables, at the time, $120...
  10. E

Silly question?

94 no warning light either I found out the hard way :banghead:. I ran outa gas ONCE, won't let that happen again. My sender in the fuel tank is garbage right now, so the gas gage on the dash shows full on startup, then slowly drops to E. So I have no way of telling, besides calculating miles...
  11. E

Fan belt tensioner BROKE!!

Well, not really. Last week I looked under the hood for an odd noise that what coming from the fan/fan belt and lo and behold, the belt tensioner worked itself loose from its mount, but not completely, and was holding on still. WTF, I said, how did that happen?!?! Fortunately, I caught...
  12. E

'93 Chevy 1500 4x4 pickup charging woes

Thanks for the reply! We might have time to do a bench test before the storm hits, all day yesterday, the forecasters **said** that it would start snowing here by 5a, NOT!!!!! It's now 10:30 and the sun's almost out!! Well, thanks again for the reply.
  13. E

'93 Chevy 1500 4x4 pickup charging woes

Buddy of mine has a rather used '93 Chevy 1500 P/U with a Meyer's plow and it's got a weird charging/starting problem. It won't start in the morning sometimes, central CT can be a little chilly this time of year, so we thought that it was a crappy battery that's causing the non-start problem...
  14. E

Broke my outter door handle, now I'm locked out.

adding my 2¢s Locked my keys in the Ex the other day.......stupid me...and friend showed up with a slim jim. He was able to open the door, but in the process broke the plastic clip that links the key-lock cylinder to the metal rod that links to the power lock actuator. Fortunately I was able to...
  15. E

Can you install factory fog lamps on explorer without exsisting fog lamps

I too am curious While shade-tree wrenching lately, I noticed there are 2-wire connectors behind my bumper, one on either side, just sitting there. I'm guessing that those might be plugs for optional OEM Fogs, just like my tow harness in the rear. I was able to find a Ford OEM trailer light...
  16. E

Weird light problem

Mark, How aggressively did you clean the connector? I unplugged mine and hit it with contact cleaner and reconnected it and still nothing. I'll try again with a tooth pick or two. Thanks again for the tip. Greg
  17. E

Odd series of problems

Thanks for the replies Unfortunately, there is NO dip stick for the tranny !!!! WTF??? Have to bring it to a mechanic or dealer to check fluid level. He tried it again last night and it drove fine, weird. We'll see how it does today. Thanks again!!:thumbsup:
  18. E

Odd series of problems

On a friend's 03 mountaineer had a battery and alternator go bad in one day. Bit of background: Original battery, 7+ years old finally gave up the ghost. Drove it home and lights didn't work, except for the fogs (?!?!?!?) and then wouldn't start. AND the alternator was toast, since it was...
  19. E

Weird light problem

They're 194's
  20. E

Weird light problem

new bulbs, still no light Thanks for getting back to me, but still having issues. I tried new bulbs, nothing.....argghh. I'm wondering if an aftermarket trailer harness is the cause. I'm also using a Ford OEM trailer harness that just plugs-n-plays into the stock harness behind the bumper so...
  21. E

Weird light problem

I have had no trouble with my EX's lighting system, but last night I notice I have no license plate lights.....?!?!??! I checked the bulbs and they're fine, I think. Anyone else have same weird problem? All of a sudden, they stop working.........I checked all wiring and found no faults, even...
  22. E

Clicking sound when accelerating???

Had similar sound Hello!! On my Ex, I had knocking under acceleration and climbing hills on the highway, I too thought it was a lifter. I cleaned my MAF (mass air flow) sensor and changed the spark plugs and wires. What a difference! Lost power regained!! The MAF is located after the...
  23. E

Help with rear shocks

Hello All!! I'm planning on replacing my rear shock on my Ex, and hope that I will NOT have the same issue as I did when I replaced my fronts. I broke off the lower stud!! D'OH!! NAPA came to the rescue with a replacement lower shock mount kit. Had to saws-all off the stud on the radius...
  24. E

How I changed my 05's Front Wheel Bearing

Got a slide hammer and puller flange, and it popped right out!! Finally!! Got the new assembly on now and am minutes away from a test drive!! Woo Hoo!! Thanks again for all the helpful hints and great write up Shawn!!
  25. E

How I changed my 05's Front Wheel Bearing

Help! Cant get hub assy off of knuckle!! Great tips and a very helpful thread!! But, I've gotten the 3 bolts off holding the hub assy onto the knuckle but can't free the assembly!! It seems there's some glue or gasket material holding the assembly to the knuckle. I've got a hub puller and have...
Back