Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 9

Spark plugs

Go Motorcraft. Anything else will eventually lead to misfires. Make sure to use Motorcraft wires too. The Ford DIS system does not like aftermarket ignition parts.:)
  2. 9

ECM may be fried...

Just a quick update, I was over at the parents' house for fathers day and decided to take a look at the dash to make sure all of the lights came on. All of the check lights come on except for the check engine light. So, when I get a chance I am going to test for voltage at the PCM. Seems that...
  3. 9

ECM may be fried...

Thanks for the help everyone. She will turn over all day but no start. I am going to bust out the voltmeter today and start probing...
  4. 9

ECM may be fried...

Thanks for the reply. I should have added that I checked all of the relays, fuses, etc. to make sure none of them blew. All of the fuses check out ok. I swapped out relays from one system to another and no joy. Thanks for the help.
  5. 9

ECM may be fried...

First off, hello to all. Have not been on here for a long time. Gave the X to my Dad and he just bought a new(to him) 03 X sport with 36k on the clock. He said I could have my 93 back so I am pumped. I love this truck. The problem is that I started it to let it cool down inside and after a...
  6. 9

93 Explorer A4LD, No OD!!!

Brooklyn Bay, Tires are stock. Truck is completely stock except for the custom purple front fender.:D I hooked our shop NGS tester and monitered all of the sensor inputs and all are within spec. I have 1,2,3 and TCC lockup, just no OD. I am going to dig into it a little bit over the...
  7. 9

Thanks Mr. Shorty for the reply. What's funny is that my stepdad has not even noticed that the overdrive is not working.:rolleyes: I only knew about it when I drove it to work to install the radiator. I'll update later when I get a chance to check all of the electrical connections. Anyone...
  8. 9

Whew, it's been a long time since I have been on here(over a year). Hello all! Ok, I know that this is a well worn subject. I have searched the threads but have not seen a same situation as mine. I gave my X to my stepdad so he could have something reliable to drive until he retires. He has...
  9. 9

Steering box issue??, Long post!

Hello all!! It's been AWHILE since I have been on the site. I think that I may have an issue with the steering box on my 93 Explorer 4x4. Shouldn't say mine, I gave the truck to my stepdad and he has informed me of a vibration/pulling to the right on the highway. He has had some work...
  10. 9

Continunig rough idle

Check your intake gaskets for leaking. These trucks will leak at the #5 cylinder and cause a rough idle condition. The way to check is to pull the spark plug and check for a white build up on the plug. If you see this, then either the lower intake gasket is leaking or the head is cracked. I...
  11. 9

HELP! 04 Explorer ECU/PCM/ECM problems

I am assuming that you went to the dealership with some sort of driveability problem relating to the transmission. It is possible that you have a PCM issue, but I also think you have a internal tranny issue. Solenoid shift packs are notorious for going south on 5R55E/N/S/W tranny's with...
  12. 9

Help diagnose please *videos*

Timing chains/tensioners. Do a search of the forums and you will find out all that you need to know. Not an easy fix since the truck uses 5 different chains, some in front(where they should be) and some in the back(the "duh" part) which require the engine to come out of the truck to fix. The...
  13. 9

$20 Custom build cold air scoop on stock air intake system! Is this ok or even legal?

This thread is interesting. Crazy, but interesting. As far as the long highway jaunt then a cel, have you tried cleaning the maf? My 93 did the same thing as yours. I'd be on the highway for about three or four hours, then a cel with hesitation and chugging. I cleaned the maf(thanks to this...
  14. 9

Another 4.0L OHV Build Thread (with 95TM heads)

That X sounds awesome!!:cool: Seriously, that is the best sounding V6 I have heard, and I have been in the car business for about 10 years now, and have owned everything from a 70 Olds Cutlass with a high compression 350 to a 02 Mustang V6 with a X pipe, magnaflow mufflers, and 2.5" mandrel...
  15. 9

Auto Trans pan gasket leak.

It is possible that the shop was quick to just replace the pan gasket without really checking out the transmission for any other leaks and call it a day. If that is the case then I agree with you without arguement. However, it is also possible that by fixing one leak the transmission developed...
  16. 9

That's TwoTone, not woton. You said it yourself, this is a learning website. Since you have much to learn when it comes to transmissions I would not go blasting away at the first trans shop that tells you the leak is not coming from where you think it is. I run a Lincoln-Mercury service...
  17. 9

As someone with plenty of automotive know-how, a few differnent torque wrenches, not knowing the phrase "I would have done it myself but...", and very few excuses, I would suggest taking the explorer to a different shop. You obviously don't know much about what you are doing.
  18. 9

Total oil drip!

Check the lower intake manifold gasket. If it BLEW out completely on the highway then it could have leaked the oil out pretty quickly. These gaskets are notorious for leaking at the back of the engine just below the valve cover gaskets, looking like the valve covers are leaking badly. Of...
  19. 9

Anyone have a spare axle nut

I have lost the drivers side single hump locking key that holds the axle nut securely in place. It is back together now(I live a 1/2 mile from work) but I want to get one before too long. I cannot get one anywhere(if the parts guy even knows what I am talking about) and you can only get the...
  20. 9

Starting Problem

More than likely, if you are getting fuel(fuel pump engaging for two seconds) spark(vehicle starting in the first place) you probably have a problem with bleeding off fuel pressure. This could be caused by a defective regulator(the piece that sits on the fuel rail just behind the upper radiator...
  21. 9

94 Explorer with Starting Problems

Sounds like the fuel pump has taken a dump on you. It probably has an internal fault that is causing the intermittant problem you are describing. A bad fuel pressure regulator would not cause those kinds of problems. The truck would instead be running badly and pinging all of the time. If...
  22. 9

Modulator Changeout w/ Resulting Problems Musings

I also replaced my modulator on my truck with no problems about 1 1/2 years and 20K miles ago. I will say that my modulator was seaping, not leaking, tranny fluid into the intake. It seems that successful modulator replacement depends on how quickly the problem is discovered. Good luck to...
  23. 9

It's New Engine Time.

"Dealing with the dealer is not a pleasant experience." I will be the bigger man here and apologize on behalf of all Ford dealers everywhere, all 4000+ of them, for your experience with THIS particular dealer. Your statement is a rather broad generalization for ALL dealers, as opposed to...
  24. 9

It's New Engine Time.

I know that Jasper remans have a good warrenty and all, but the engines they sell are not all they are cracked up to be. I am an assistant service manager at a local Ford dealership. One of the techs' friends has a 91 X with a two year old Jasper rebuild in it. The engine is leaking out of...
Back