Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

EGR Tube Help

Well, since I had 43 people look at the post and not one was able to answer, I thought I would now answer the question myself. Maybe it might help someone else out. Talked to the mechanic the works on our company vehicles and the only thing he could think of was a crowfoot wrench. He did...
  2. B

96 XLT tapping under the hood

Also check your EGR tube close. Mine did that for a while when it heated up. Which side of the engine did you hear the noise from?
  3. B

EGR Tube Help

I have a 1997 Mercury Mountaineer which I am replacing the EGR tube. 10mm for the EGR and 27mm for the tube nuts. The stock unit was a bendable piece and the new one that I recieved was a solid unit. Now to the question: If I install everything loose at first for alignment purposes, how do...
  4. B

Trim Panel Retainers

I have been looking for the interior door panel retainers on the second gen explorers/mountaineers. The dealership printed me out a diagram that had the part number of "N808672-S". I have not been able to located this part number from any of my sources. Does anyone have the updated part...
  5. B

-Your Explorer-

1997 Mercury Mountaineer AWD 5.0ltr (302) Purchased for $3300.00 Milage at the time of purchase = 86940 Milage now = 109472 Purchased on 28 Feb 2006
  6. B

Door Innards

Not sure what you are looking for, but I generally go to the dealership and ask them about a part I am interested in and they print me a diagram that shows all the parts related to what I am asking about. Are you talking about problems with you drivers door not wanting to lock/unlock with the...
  7. B

Upper Control Arms

Bump
  8. B

Upper Control Arms

I have read all of the "sticky" about changing the upper control arms. The question I have is concerning the Moog products. On the old Parts America web site (now called Orilley.com) has the driver and passenger side UCA, but the passenger one is listed as a "Problem Solver"? What does that...
  9. B

-Your Explorer-

Mine: 1) 1997 Mercury Mountaineer, V-8, AWD 2) Paid - $3300 (Worth over 6) 3) 86940 (Feb. 28, 2006) 4) 106140 (Apr. 1, 2009)
  10. B

speedometer 5 mph off

Fords are notorious for being a couple of MPH off. I have a 97 Mounty, but I am running 31 x 10.5. At 45 ... it is about right. At 53 ... I am running 55. At 62 ... I am running 65. Tested with a Garmin GPS unit. I drive a F-250 for work (with the Garmin) and it runs about 2 MPH off most...
  11. B

shocks

I too have posted this question and have done some research on the site along with manufacturers sites. It all boils down to one thing. What have you used on your other vehicles? Which of those did you enjoy? and Which ones seem to last the longest? I have used Gabriels (still not sure I...
  12. B

Shocks?

That is the part I enjoy about the Explores/Mountaineers is they do not ride like a luxury car. They are SUVs that tend to ride more like a traditional truck. It sounds like the Monroe shocks are all the same. I put a full set of Monromatics on a Corsica. They were good for the first two...
  13. B

Shocks?

I know that I am revisiting an old subject, but I just want to ask. I have been looking at the Monroe Sensa-tracs (maybe even the loadhandlers) and the Bilstein HDs. I might do a little off roading but it is light. My main concern is towing and street handling. What would everyone suggest?
  14. B

Speedo Gear

Sorry about this question. I now the rule of search first, but I do not have the time and I have already spent about 1 1/2 hours on it. I have a 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with the 3.73 Open gears and 31x10.50's. I need to know what speedo gear to put in to correct the speedometer and the...
  15. B

Front Mount Hitch Receiver

Check out bageco.com. I thought I saw one for the 2nd gen Ex.
  16. B

Poor handling help???

Mine is doing the same thing. From everything I have been reading about this problem ... try replacing your shocks. It sound like the shock is not moving as fast as it should be moving (ie. keeping the tire on the road). I would suggest a good set of shocks. The type will depend on what...
  17. B

Back Pressure

Will this apply to the V8s?
  18. B

Rotors

I need to replace my brake pads and rotors. I have been looking at the Raybestos products (PG Plus rear rotors and SuperStop front rotors) and Satisfied Ceramic brake pads. Has anyone used these products? Does anyone have any comments on them? This seems to be the best product for the price...
  19. B

Back Pressure

I have seen alot of posts about exhaust and the back pressure. Single in/duel out, duel in/single out (stock on mine), ect... What is this motor happy with? It is a stock 302, but I do not know how the computer messes with things. Should I stick with headers and a cat back system, or is...
  20. B

ProComp ES9000 shocks

I find this post interesting due to the fact that I want the information also. No one has answered the question. What shock can you use to replace the 5th shock when lifted. Ford put it there for a reason and I do not want to just remove mine. I'd rather find a replacement when I lift my...
  21. B

BFG All Terrain

Are those the KO's? I have been looking at that tire because the specs on them are great. I just don't like what everyone is saying about the mud issue. I do not what to go to MT's. Is there maybe another tire out that has specs close to the KO's but do better in the mud?
  22. B

Flushing Components?

I have a 97 Mountaineer. The compressor/clutch is out of my A/C system. I have been reading the sitckys and other posts and I am confused on how to "flush" parts of the A/C components. A second question. If I were to buy the proper tools to charge an A/C system, would the documentation...
  23. B

A/C System

Thank you for the post. I guess I am not searching the forum enough. I have never seen an A/C section.
  24. B

Do I need a new battery?

I agree with ma96782...have them tested. Autozone will even test those items on the car. It will even test the charging system if you ask. I would suggest the Autozone battery myself. But I do work at one part time.
  25. B

A/C System

Bump
Back