Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Thanks for the info

After 13 years with my 2002 Explorer XLS 4.0 I'm moving on to a new vehicle. I've learned a lot of great information here and put it to use many times. I sold my Explorer to a family to let their new driver have some wheels and bought a 2015 Ford Edge SEL. I'm already in love with the Edge...
  2. J

Wanted Harmonic Balancer best choice to buy ?

I just replaced mine with the Dayco from Rock Auto. I was not a fan of the greenish/blue one offered by Dorman. I am happy with my choice and you can not beat the shipping speed.
  3. J

2002 XLS rear head rests

Can anyone tell me how to remove the head rests from the rear seats of my 2002 Explorer XLS. I want to remove the entire head rest and height adjustment rods. They do not just pop off if you pull up hard. There must be some sort of retaining clip/spring to depress to release the whole thing...
  4. J

2003 Inner Tie Rod Question

The tools are the way to go and you can usually borrow them (with a deposit) from most auto parts stores with the parts purchase.
  5. J

2002 Ford Explorer XLT Spark Plugs Question

The proper plugs for your vehicle are listed on the info sticker under the hood of your Explorer. My recommendation would be to have someone help you change the plugs as it seems your knowledge is limited in working under the hood of a vehicle. Some of the best learning is done by having a...
  6. J

Benefits of P235/75R16's over 70R16's?

You have 16's on your XLT? I thought the XLT jumped you to 17's as the stock tire for that package. None the less, if you go to the P235/75R16's you will need to buy 5 since your spare is going to (or should) match the tires you have on the ground right now. Our Explorer 4x4 systems are very...
  7. J

04 Explorer alternator fit an 04 Ranger??

Just go to www.rockauto.com and see if the same part number comes up for your Ranger compared to his Explorer.
  8. J

Valve Cover Gaskets '03 4.0L

I replaced the valve cover and upper intake gaskets on my 2002 XLS 4.0 and did not have to remove anything related to the injectors or fuel rail even on the passenger side. It takes some patient wiggling but it will come out and go back in. The "pillow" you are referring to is actually a heat...
  9. J

Towing Capacity of a 2002 Ford Explorer V6

According to my owners manual (I have this very same engine/rear combination in my 2002 XLS) you can only tow a combined weight of 3632 lbs. I would have thought the Eddie Bauer had the 3.73 limited slip rear.
  10. J

engine oil level?

Five quarts of oil in the 4.0 liter will straight up be what the engine calls for.
  11. J

e brake adjust/fix

No drum to remove. The rear brakes are disc for the main stopping and a drum style set up built into the rotors for the parking brake. Typically the shoes separate and render the parking brakes inoperable. Pull the rear rotors and see if your shoes are shot and replace them if they are.
  12. J

Seat Belt Retractors Slow

After reading through this post and having the same slow retraction on my 2002 Explorer XLS seat belts, I went out and sprayed some silicone on the part of my belts that never really comes all the way out. I pulled the belts on as I would when actually using them, and then pulled the rest out...
  13. J

No heat, gauge flutuating

Had a very similar thing happen with my 2002 XLS 4.0 and it turned out to be the Temp Sensor mounted in the T-stat housing. I also had to replace the upper and lower T-stat housing as it was very deteriorated and was leaking fairly undetectable (until I looked really hard).
  14. J

2005 Plug & Wire Replacement

I suppose Ford did at least one good thing in the 2002 model Explorer 4.0 as mine has a space of about 2.5 inches between the back of my alternator and the front of my passenger side valve cover. There is actually a heater hose running in this space and no reason what so ever to remove anything...
  15. J

Need help -2002 Ford Explorer XLS will not start.

Remove the hose from the throttle body inlet and give it a shot of carb cleaner and try to start it. If it fires for a few seconds and dies I would go with a fuel delivery problem and start with the relay/fuse.
  16. J

Any clue what this may be?

That bag is a heat insulating bag. It is supposed to help keep the air in the intake cooler. I don't know if it works or not. When I replaced my valve cover gaskets I put it back.
  17. J

Does my '02 Explorer have this connector?

Don't mistake having a tow package with having a trailer hitch. The fact that your hitch receiver is only the inch and a quarter size and your light connector is the flat four pin means you do not have a true "tow package" A true tow package would include the 2" receiver and the 3:73 gear set...
  18. J

Opinion: "fix" it, sell it or part it out?

Just my opinion but I would first find a better deal on the rebuild and then do it. I have a 2002 Explorer XLS 4.0- 4wd that has 119,000 miles on it that are all mine (bought it brand new) I will keep fixing my EX as long as I own it. I have done many many repairs that you read about here but...
  19. J

unknown fluid leak.

If it is hot out and you are running your A/C then it is just condensation dripping. Mine leaves quite the puddle when it is hot and humid. This is a normal condition and nothing to worry about.
  20. J

05 Explorer Door Lock Problem

You are going to be told to do a search for broken wires in the rubber boot in the drivers door. I won't tell you to search but I will say that is what it might be. Have a great day and good luck.
  21. J

Rack and pinion leak

My first thought/idea would be for you to find another shop. Let us know how this turns out.
  22. J

Alternator

Quick way to find out would be to go into an Auto Zone or other parts store and ask to see an alternator for a 2001 and then a 2002 and see if they mount the same way and have the same electrical connections. If they do then maybe, if they do not, then definitely no.
  23. J

Help Identifying Coolant Line

I just went out and looked under the hood of my 2002 4.0 liter Explorer and I can tell you that is a refrigerant line. The coolant lines are higher up and have hose clamps on them.
  24. J

White residue around the plastic thermostat hosing

The absolute best fix for this problem is to replace it all. Both upper and lower housing, o-rings, thermostat and the coolant temp sensor with a new o-ring also. Just go to the dealer and get all the parts and save yourself headaches later. This is the voice of experience...
  25. J

02 Explorer low coolant temp and random stalling

From my Haynes manual: The coolant temperature indicator system consists of a warning light or a temperature gauge on the dash and a coolant temperature sending unit mounted on the engine. The Cylinder head Temperature (CHT) sensor (V8 models) or Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor (V6...
Back