Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

1996 Xlt 4.0

As far as the tranny is concerned, it really depends on the vehicle and its uses by the previous owner(s), but as an x owner with over 175k on it, mine sounds very similar to what you're looking at, and for having bought it with 172k miles i've been very pleased. Tranny lags a touch, but not...
  2. F

I Need Help Again!

remove it, degrease it, mask it, rough the paint, repaint, polish...voila
  3. F

Cross your fingers for us...

but dont even consider talking to a lawyer that approaches you about the accident...go to one you friends/family recommend...and also since the accident wasnt your wife's fault the other company is responsible for renting you a car to use until they 1) repair your x or 2) cut you a check oh...
  4. F

carputer idea

i chose the via for its size...remember this is going in the center console...,ability, power usage, and operating temp oh and at mp3car.com they come highly recommended by a large grp of people
  5. F

carputer idea

i'm thinking about going caseless, well kinda, since i wanna mount it in my center console i think i'll make a u-shaped lexan plate, and cut out the lexan i dont need for mounting so the thing can breath. i'd prolly then mount a small metel rail samwiched beteen the lexan and components which i...
  6. F

carputer idea

that's where i've been doing my homework, i thought i'd throw the idea out here...oh and i'll be changing the slot cd rom to a slot dvdrom
  7. F

carputer idea

should be fixed now, thx
  8. F

carputer idea

here's what i've picked out so far plus i'd add a small(7-10") touchscreen lcd and an odbII reader to plug into my vehicle. the only software on this thing would be whichever gui interface for the touchscreen, the o/s, the odbII software, gps software and use it as storage for mp3's. oh and a...
  9. F

limited bumper cover over XL bumper????

bump...i wanna know too....and yes i've been searching
  10. F

How Much Does Your Wheel And Tire Combo Weigh?

since we're talking about unsprung weight, anyone know what the cobra r's (or something comparable) weigh with a decent street tire on them... I'm looking to lose a little weight in this department while adding the looks of sporting 17's or 18's thx
  11. F

The Alternative Fuel Dilema

the thing to do is...go solar, not on the x but on your house if you own one. if 1,000,000 houses went solar it'd be like taking 850,000 cars off the road, sooo if you went solar thats .85 cars off the road, figuratively speaking. And since you live in cali, there are huge rebates offered to...
  12. F

Ac Fan Quit Running???

if it blows only on high...its the fan resistor or if you have the auto climate control its an electronic unit that replaces the fan resistor located on the passenger side firewall. if it doesnt blow on any speed its most likely the fan control relay located behind the passenger side headlight...
  13. F

Intake kit add ons

I bet you could use dynamat or one of those other brands of interior insulation, most of it has a reflective surface on the outer...insulation is insulation
  14. F

How Do I Know If I Have A Factory Alarm System?

the factory alarm kinda sucks anyway. Sure it works great if you have it and someone unlocks your door manually and opens the door, but does absolutely nothing if someone breaks a window out....as i found out recently....thankfully i have a dog and she went nuts in the backyard when she heard...
  15. F

-Your Explorer-

1. '96 XLT, 4dr, 2wd, automatic, 4.0 OHV, Leather, power everything and a 10 disc changer 2. $1500 (+~700ish catching up on maintenance issues) 3. 169,000 4. 173,500 runs great and i plan on driving this engine into the ground and then maybe another, just wish it got better than 20mpg hwy
  16. F

Hesitation after startup

thanks guys for the quick response, I'll be sure to take your advice as soon as i can find a day off. And yes, the truck hesitates in both drive and reverse....idles fine, but the idle drop associated with being in gear pulls it a little low....but once it surges for 5-10 seconds it runs like a...
  17. F

Hesitation after startup

Few months ago I bought a '96 Explorer xlt, 2wd, 169k mi loaded to the gills...$1500. Since I bought it i've been catching it up on maintenance issues, new plugs and wires(looked like the first time they'd been changed), o2 sensors, filters and fluids, fixed a cosmetic item here and there and...
  18. F

Rear Door Lock Removal...pita!

anyone know any easier way to do this or does everyone just agree its a p.i.t.a.? AF
  19. F

Rear Door Lock Removal...pita!

Picked up my '96 xlt 2wd about 2 months ago at a great price (1500) from a guy who had used it for a business vehicle. Its got 170k mi but runs great..just had some little things that needed tidying up and fixing, like the d side rear door lock. Found one cheap, got the door panel stripped...
  20. F

Blower wont work....i NEED MY A/C!

I had the same prob about 3 weeks ago although i dont have the electronic climate control. I had a motor that would work occasionally although rarely. Checked both fuses(inside the door and under the hood) and was almost set that it was the resistor block (which yours doesnt have, but thats...
Back