Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. FarmTruk

'92 Explorer is falling apart.

I think all First Gen owners have a bit of a masochistic streak in 'em.
  2. FarmTruk

How long does it take for your explorer too get warm?

Mine begins to put warm out the vent in about 2 miles down the road. Heat is never a problem. Gauge reads cold to very cool (not hardly to the "normal" range. I suspect my temp sender (sensor?) isn't giving correct data, or maybe an out of calibrate gauge.
  3. FarmTruk

Dupli-Color Paint Job - How To Thread

That turned out really nice. The color match is dead on.
  4. FarmTruk

Volvo 850 turbo wagon diversion

holy cow! You deserve an atta' boy for this. :D
  5. FarmTruk

Temp and Heat Issues

hahahaha... You ain't the only one with cooling issues now. My radiator is due for a r&r. Noticed this evening it's leaking at the tank/core seal. awesomesauce.
  6. FarmTruk

Steering Wheel Recondition/Replace Options

I've used leather Wheelskins with great results on a couple of vehicles. Takes a little time to install, but with just a bit of patience, it gives a VERY nice feel, and makes the grip a bit beefier as well (a good thing, imo). I took some duck tape and wrapped the areas where the OEM...
  7. FarmTruk

Hello from Texas

Howdy from NC.
  8. FarmTruk

2011 Ford Explorer!

Still have yet to see one on the road in my neck of the woods.
  9. FarmTruk

Temp and Heat Issues

A water pump is a very simple mechanical device. The impeller is connected directly to the pulley via a shaft. If the pulley turns, the impeller circulates the coolant. In my experience, I've never had one that failed to circulate the water. Only those that leaked around the bearing. I...
  10. FarmTruk

Spark Plug Gapping Question

true this. Never expect the "pre-gapped" to be right. A feeler gauge is ridiculously inexpensive, and a must have in any self-respecting DIYer's toolbox. "Trust, but verify." - Ronaldus Maximus
  11. FarmTruk

202A spec without navigation! How to get?

<--- loves his Garmin Nuvi :)
  12. FarmTruk

Seat Replacement

Well, the leather didn't seem to hold up much better. I'm thinking of something along the lines of MBZ MB-Tex. Holds up VERY well, and near indistinguishable from real leather. The bolster needs a lot of padding too. There seems to be a burr-edge on that bolster's metal frame that just...
  13. FarmTruk

Seat Replacement

I'm going to talk with a local trim shop this spring. See what they can do. Maybe get it close to match in a heavy vinyl, rather than the $pendy leather.
  14. FarmTruk

Seat Replacement

My X's driver side seat is in poor condition, too. The left-hand bottom bolster is shredded like cheddar. Metal frame parts are visible. :-/ Typical for Ford leather of a "certain" vintage. It just doesn't hold up well to daily use.
  15. FarmTruk

Temp and Heat Issues

:) I flushed my X's cooling system this past late fall. It'd been heaven-only knows how long since I'd last done it. After using a bottle of radiator flush cleaner, it took a LOT of water thru the system before it even began to look moderately clean. I didn't do a specific HC flush, as...
  16. FarmTruk

Temp and Heat Issues

I've gotten bad t-stats brand new right out of the box. As such, I now bench-test any new t-stat before installing. Dropping it in a pan of water, bringing it to boil and back to cool. Checking the temps when it opens/closes with a kitchen thermometer. Perhaps the heater core is blocked...
  17. FarmTruk

Oil Change "trick" or smart technique....

x2 on both counts. pre-filling the filter saves your engine severalo precious seconds when it restarts from "dry-starting". By doing this, the oil pump doesn't have to fill the filter before oil begins to circulate to the expensive bits. I've heard of diesel being used to "flush" a...
  18. FarmTruk

Regearing the front differential - possible solution

Yep, re-gearing ain't cheap. Those parts/install prices you posted sound pretty ballpark based on my experience.
  19. FarmTruk

1993 Explorer

Will the front hubs fit thru the center cap holes on those ST wheels, without machine work?
  20. FarmTruk

Temp and Heat Issues

If it's not low on, or loosing, coolant, a T-stat stuck open seems most obvious to me.
  21. FarmTruk

How often do you Floor Your Ex

I pretty much stopped "flooring" it after a couple of episodes where my throttle stuck wide open in city traffic. That was an off the scale "pucker" experience. But I was able to discover that stock X braking system will overcome stock 4.0L OHV. Barely.
  22. FarmTruk

wandering when in 4X4

Are the tires the same size front and back?
  23. FarmTruk

Just Joined!

Howdy from NC.
  24. FarmTruk

New to the Forum!

Howdy from NC.
  25. FarmTruk

New hello!

Howdy from NC. A1 first post. Keep it up, and you'll be fine. :)
Back