Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

3rd Gen Ford Explorer V8 Under-Drive Pulley and Electric Fan Installation

That's a great write-up, thanks for the info. How has gas mileage been since the electric fan and under drive pulley install? My wife and I just bought her an '05 Eddie Bauer with the 4.6L and I'm looking for ways to maximize fuel mileage because I know how heavy her foot is, especially...
  2. M

5R55W Solenoid Block Replacement

I have to say gentlemen, this is one of the best written and updated tech threads I've seen in about 9 years of posting on auto forums. Awesome job! I used the original posters procedure to do the solenoid pack replacement today (actually my brother did the work as I'm 3 weeks removed from...
  3. M

won't start help

It could be any number of things. Intermittent issues with the ignition, a crank position sensor going bad jump right to mind.
  4. M

magnaflow exhaust vs. MAC

I love Mac exhaust stuff. I had a Prochamber on a 2003 Mustang GT along with a set of Flowpath mufflers and it sounded absolutely awesome if you like loud, rowdy and obnoxious. After that I had a Mac catted H-pipe on a 2004 Mustang GT with a full Mac catback with 2.5 inch rolled tips. It...
  5. M

2003 explorer xlt 2wd cruise control won't engage

I'm having the same problem intermittently. Any idea where I can download a copy of that TSB?
  6. M

5.4 question

Actually the intake overall is a pretty good design. The engines have been around for well over a decade and the aftermarket has been very hard pressed to come up with a design that even offers minimal improvement over the OE part unless you're boosting over 13 psi or spraying more than a 150...
  7. M

5.4 question

So your oil pressure gage read low and you continued to drive it?
  8. M

engine swap

Sounds more like you need a new source for motors. I know for a fact that it's not a design flaw or some inherent problem with that engine that is causing the premature failure of your second one.
  9. M

engine swap

The 5.4L block is a bit taller and wider than the 4.6L. I'm sure it can be done but I'm not sure of the amount of fabricating that it would take to do it right. Rods are knocking? Were these brand new motors, rebuilts, junkyard motors or what?
  10. M

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

Holy cow this is a long thread. I perused the last 10 pages or so of it. Looks like there's some really good ideas in it. aldive, could you post up a complete list of all the best combination of mods that you've done from a fuel efficiency viewpoint please? I saw several posts about new...
  11. M

engine swap

The 4.6L engines are actually very durable engines. What exactly has gone wrong with the 2 that you've gone through?
  12. M

Cold Air Intake and new exhaust

What are the good brands of UD pulleys for the 4.0? I'm not at all new to modding vehicles as I've had a pair of SN95 Mustangs but I've never modded my Explorer. I always kept it as the untouched vehicle until now. I saw a pretty well done explorer that had a mild lift, 2 inches maybe, a...
  13. M

Considering Purchase of 04 XLT... BUT

Any kind of stuff floating on top of the coolant or build up visible inside the radiator.
  14. M

Power Inverter Install How-To

That's a good looking install man. Something to think about though, unless the 100 amps is a long time trip rating on that breaker, then you won't be able to power the full 1500 watt peak load without tripping the breaker. 1500 watts of DC, which is the big concern with the breaker, works...
  15. M

Cold Air Intake and new exhaust

Did you guys notice any increase in gas mileage with CAI and exhaust mods? I'm looking to pick up a little bit, I know I'll never see even 25 out of my 4.0, but every little bit would be nice to have since my wife and I put 25K a year on it.
  16. M

Be sure to do a compression check also. Pull the dipstick and see what condition the oil is in, if it's jet black and reeks of hydrocarbons, run away, this is probably the norm for how the previous owner maintained the truck. Open the radiator and shine a light in there. If it's full of mung...
  17. M

Alternator / voltage regular problem

I just got done dealing with battery and alternator problems of my own a few weeks ago. I looked into rebuilding the OE one but I don't have a soldering iron powerful enough to solder on a new diode pack. However the voltage regulator is easily removable once you have the alternator off. I...
  18. M

5.4 question

If you want hardcore tech info on how to build a rock solid 4.6L check out www.mustangmotorworld.com We've got a couple of guys on that site that have built 10 and 11 second NMRA engines.
  19. M

5.4 question

There's plenty you can do to beef it up. Start with finding a good machine shop to line hone the main journals and chemically clean the block. Have them mill the deck to make them true and do the same with the heads. Invest in a high quality set of main and rod bearings, this is not the place...
  20. M

5.4 question

I know the 5.4L is a bit taller and wider than the 4.6L and that causes swap issues in Mustangs. However the Explorers seem to have a bit more room in the engine compartment so I'm not sure if that would be a problem or not. The 4.6L and the 5.4L are identical motors for the most part so...
  21. M

1) If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But be aware for any problems that it may cause and jump on it immediately 2) A MAC Flowpath muffler should make that thing sound real nice. Every 4.6 motor I've ever heard that muffler on sounded awesome, including both of mine.
  22. M

Full transmission fluid change

I went about it a little differently. I measured the amount of fluid that came out and then replaced it with the recommended amount. Instead of using that process involving the nipple, I disconnected one of the tranny fluid cooler lines at the front and used a squeeze bottle. It was time...
  23. M

harmonic balancer issues

The other evening I was driving my 2004 V6 XLT home on the highway and it just up and died on me, refused to restart. I ended up having it towed and long story short, a tech at the dealership found that the harmonic balancer had walked around on the crankshaft and knocked the crank position...
  24. M

which supercharger

Actually the KB's don't make an incredible amount of noise unless you really stick your foot deep in the loud pedal. At idle and low speed it sounds more like a power steering pump going bad. I used to love creeping up on people and nailing the throttle in my Mustang. The faces were quite...
Back