Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

4WD indicator goes out with headlights on.

I had a similar issue, but the O/D indicator light was going out when the parking or headlights were on. O/D was working, but indicator was not lighting when headlights on. I also had weirdness in the module where the temp/compass are displayed. This area would not dim regardless of the...
  2. T

1996 XLT odometer not working,speedo OK.

I didn't need the other gear (the black, non worm one), and the place I linked is $10 cheaper. Was $29 shipped. I agree is seems expensive for what it is, but cheaper than a new cluster or paying a shop $100+ to do it.
  3. T

1996 XLT odometer not working,speedo OK.

I just replaced the worm gear in mine today. Definitely follow the instructions on therangerstation.com page. I found this thread a few weeks ago and decided to tackle it without checking back. I ended up removing the spedo needle (definitely don't do this - keep reading...) and the odometer...
  4. T

Visor Question

I added a Homelink visor off eBay to my 1997 XLT. The wiring plug for the vanity light was different. The factory visor had a one plug wire for power only. The Homelink one had a two wire plug for power and ground. I stripped the plug off and attached the ground around one of the mounting...
  5. T

1996 Explorer will not start

sounds like the same behavior I had when my crank position sensor went out on me.
  6. T

backspacing/offset between 2ndGen and 3rdGen?

Am looking at replacing the 15x7 rims off of my 1997 XLT with some 16" rims. I like the look fo the 2002+ wheels, but think the offset/backspacing may be different enough to require spacers. Any solid info on specs or problems I'll run into? Thanks in advance. tw
  7. T

interco questions?

I've ahd the 31 x 10.5 trXus MT on my Jeep for over 2 years. They are a fantastic tire for someone that has to use it for DD, but doens't want to sacrifice offroadability for trail use. Mine have pulled great in rocks, wet rocks, mud, snow, you name it. I shoudl get between 25 and 28k miles...
  8. T

differences bewtween 2wd and 4wd front shocks for 2nd gen?

Are there any length differences between the 2wd and 4wd front shocks for a 2nd gen Ex? I'm looking to replace my Edelbrocks with OME but the tech at ARB only lists them for 4wd vehciles. My Ex is a 2wd, and since Edelbrock lists the same part numbers for 2wd and 4wd, I think I'll be OK using...
  9. T

Altezza vs. Pure white tails, also questions on billet

I just got rid of my full clears. I had them on eBay and sold them local for $100. They do show up form time to time. They look really good on a white X.
  10. T

2002 XLT Arbitration Hearing coming soon. Please advise

If at all possible, make the effort to go in person. It will be easier for you to deal with any "challenges" they give. More importantly it will show the seriousness of the situation in your mind. Although the arbitrator is suppose to look only at the facts, a personal appearance will give...
  11. T

V8 towing dissappointment :(

check the manual to see what it says about towing with OD on. I know the SOHC manual specifically states to leave OD off, but that may be a 4.0 thing and not applicable to the 5.0 engine/tranny combo. Supposedly, towing with OD on is hard on the torque converter. -tw
  12. T

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

Al, Did the Apten economy program pick up enough mileage gains to justify the extra cost of Premium fuel on a per mile basis? I live in GA where gas is pretty cheap and it's generally a 20 cent premium for 93 octane. At current fuel prices, I'd have to pick up about 13% fuel economy to...
  13. T

Amp on 97 Expo

rear cargo area on the passengers side. Pull the big plastic panle off and its up toward the back of the rear seat. -tw
  14. T

What have you paid for a transmission rebuild?

tranny life I've got 151k on my original tranny. It still pulls smoothly and shifts firmly under a heavy right foot. I have a 97 XLT 2WD and have changed the fluid using Mercon V every 25-30k miles using a power flush, not a drip and fill system. I've already got the $ set aside for a...
  15. T

cloth seats + cold dry weather = shock!!?!!

thanks for the responses. I'll try the dryer sheets and anti-static spray. I'm guessing there must be some wool in the carpet since the "leather" people are having a problem too. I'll stick with cotton and wool clothing and continue to deal with it... I'm alergic to polyester :-) -treywylie
  16. T

cloth seats + cold dry weather = shock!!?!!

I have a '97 XLT with cloth seats. Once the weather cools off and the humidity is low, I find myself gettinig a pretty decent shock when I touch the lock button or the door frame. This is made worse when I have shoes with rubber soles on them, but I can get shocked pretty easily in the winiter...
  17. T

U HAUL AGAINST EXPLORERS!!!!

I've sent letters to UHaul and Ford expressing my concern over this decision and letting them know that my business will go to other companies in the future. I know it's not Ford's fault here, but an SUV that can't rent a tow dolly or trailer from the most popular rental company diminishes the...
  18. T

look at this explorer

I'd have to agree that it spends a lot of time on the street as a roving billboard. Look at how little tread depth is left on the Swampers. If someone muds regularly, I'd think they'd have deeper hooves on that thing. JMO
  19. T

does anyone know how to bipass the factory amp

I have one for a '97 Premium sound that may work on a '95. If it will work, I'll send it to you if you cover shipping. I got it with a new HU purchase from Crutchfield and didn't need it. -tw
  20. T

Wireing a new amp up to a factory head unit

shameless self promotion: do it the right way by buying my stuff! http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=84291 -treywylie
  21. T

HELP! SOS! XPLODER WON'T START!

Crank Position Sensor? Mine went through 3 of them before my dealer figured out that Ford had left the dust seal off of the plug and every 25-30k miles, it was failing... :rolleyes: Same symptoms, good battery, good fuel, spark, etc. Dang sensor left me stranded 50 miles from home twice...
  22. T

ignition hot wire color? - '97 XLT

An update for anyone using the search. Yellow/Black going into the radio harness provides 12v with Ignition in Run or Acc. Easy fix and the Valentine 1 is now hardwired and ready to do its thing. -treywylie
  23. T

ignition hot wire color? - '97 XLT

Hi all, not really a stereo question, but it was a toss up between this forum and Performance Lighting... Figured the question was a better fit here. I'm going to hardwire my Valentine 1 radar detector and am looking for a "hot with ignition in Run" wire. Looks like Yellow/Black for the...
  24. T

What OBA Comp. Are You Using?

I've got a used ARB that I use in my TJ. Works great for tires less than 33's. I'm running 31's and it takes me about 2.5 min per tire to air up from 15 to 28. Duty cycle on the ARB is 45 min, plenty of time to air up a few vehicles. Nice and compact and very durable. - twylie
Back