Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Metal in orifice tube

I just wanted to follow up with my results. I finally got around to finishing this job up a couple weekends ago. Had some delays with a new guage set I ordered, anyway the results were very good. I replaced everything in the system except the condenser and that I flushed with two cans...
  2. T

Orfice tube size and color?

I just did an R-12 to R-134 conversion on my '93. I went from a red orifice tube to a blue one. The results are very good. The outlet airtemperature is in the high 30 to low 40 degree range.
  3. T

Metal in orifice tube

It looks like a stiff compressor is normal when they are new. http://www.acsource.net/acforum/viewtopic.php?t=4569
  4. T

what tool?

On my 93 both ends of the condenser connections require a spring lock tool. The bolt on the back of the compressor (again my 93) is about 10 to 12 mm as I recall. You'll probably need a set of metric 3/8 drive sockets for this job and the set will contain the size you need.
  5. T

Metal in orifice tube

Yep, not sure what's up with the compressor that won't turn over by hand. The instructions with the compressor said put all the oil in it so that's what I did. I'll probably short the low pressure switch and bump the starter a few times to see if that turns it over before going much further...
  6. T

Metal in orifice tube

Thanks for the tips guys. I've seen the variable orifice tubes - probably a good idea but I don't know of a local source. Anyway I went with the blue one. We'll see how it goes. Most of my driving is on the highway with this truck so I'm not too concerned about idle performance. I got...
  7. T

Metal in orifice tube

Thanks for the response and the link - it helped out with some other questions I had. Still don't know about the orifice tube for sure. I'm going to ask around some more before I finish up. I'm guessing blue for 94 - Ford went back to red in 95 but by then I wonder if they optimized other...
  8. T

Metal in orifice tube

Mark: Just want to confirm something: you wrote: _____________________________________________________________ Ford Conversion Notes: My '94 Explorer (w/ factory R-134a) used a blue orifice tube. I’ve heard that previous years (R-12 systems), used a red orifice tube. Normally......I...
  9. T

Metal in orifice tube

Thanks for the replies guys. That's what I was afraid of. I did a bit of a flush today on the condenser with alcohol and compressed air - not much stuff came out. The lines look pretty clean at both ends. I'm fairly well set up to work on A/C - I have a gauge set and the venturi type...
  10. T

Metal in orifice tube

Here's a picture of the orifice tube with all the gunk in it. I cleaned it off and took a closer look - it seems that most all of the debris is non-magnetic and pretty soft. Like a seal or something but not sure. I would really appreciate the advice of someone more experienced at...
  11. T

Metal in orifice tube

I really have no idea how long the orifice tube was in there. I've owned the truck for about 15 months so at least that long - beyond that I don't know. It looks pretty bad - I'll try to post a pic.
  12. T

Metal in orifice tube

My 93 Explorer (R-12) had a leak in the A/C which I traced to the evaporator. Using a leak detector with the probe in the blower motor resistor hole it gave a strong positive leak indication. Although when I removed the evaporator there weren't any visual signs of a leak. Maybe I'll try to...
  13. T

Remove head with exhaust manifold?

No I don't mind at all. They only charged me for the crack checking and milling, total for both heads was $95. They cleaned the heads and my intake manifold too - but didn't charge me separately for it. If you want the breakdown between the crack check and milling let me know and I'll dig out...
  14. T

I finally got this job finished up. I also found a leak in the head gasket on the other cylinder bank. Cylinders 3 and 6 both had water leaks. Took the heads to a machine shop for crack checking and fortunately none were found - they milled the heads flat and I dissassembled the valves and...
  15. T

Head upgrade??

You can see the pictures here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189302 Wow I just checked the price on lifters and I see what you mean - my old ones weren't making any noise so they are staying put. I'll check the pushrods real close and replace the valve stem...
  16. T

Already did the mop up and WD-40 thing. I'm thinking along the same lines for the other head - pull it, check it and replace the valve stem seals. Only bad thing about taking off the left head is that I need to pull the A/C compressor first - hopefully I'll be able to unbolt it without...
  17. T

First the head comes off with exhaust manifold just fine: And I think I've isolated the problem: But the good news is that it looks like the gasket: What do you guys think? Clean it up, check for warpage, get it magnafluxed and replace the gasket?
  18. T

Head upgrade??

Thanks guys that's helpful. I'm not pulling the motor, so the cam is out of the picture. Tonight I got the heads off and it looks like a head gasket not a cracked head so I may get off cheap. What else while I"m in there? lifters? pushrods? etc.
  19. T

Head upgrade??

I've got water in the #3 cylinder of my '93 4.0L - so I'm in the middle of tearing it down and thinking ahead (no pun) a little bit. Assuming I find a cracked head I'll need to replace - why not upgrade a bit? I've searched around for 4.0L performance heads and come up blank. Are there any...
  20. T

Thanks for the reply Shamaal - I think I'll give that a go tonight. Seems easier than continuing to fight the manifold bolts. The bolts at the ball joint connection came out very easy - but of course I could get an impact wrench them! Even if I take the inner fender liner out I still don't...
  21. T

Any reason I shouldn't try and pull the heads with the exhaust manifolds still attached? I have a water leak into the number 3 cylinder and am finding the exhaust manifold bolts difficult to get out. It looks like the head will come off with the exhaust manifold still attached - am I...
  22. T

R-12 in R-134 conversion? - Noisy compressor

Thanks Glacier - that's very generous. I"m going to sit tight for now since it seems to be doing fine.
  23. T

Thanks Glacier - when I recharged it I didn't add any oil. The leak was slow over time - it was a leaky schrader valve. I was kind of thinking the same thing about looking for an oil charge - don't know if they still exist.
  24. T

Brooklyn thanks for the reply - I've had my own personal stash of R-12 for many years. :) Like I said I'm not sure it was converted to R-134 I'm just guessing. I think it's pretty unlikely someone would convert it without changing the fittings etc. but you never know. I edited my...
  25. T

I had a leak develop in my 93 Explorer. I quickly found and repaired the leak, pumped down the system and refilled with R-12. But just as I was adding the last can my compressor started making noises - it quickly got worse and I shut it off. It is blowing cold air but not as cold as it...
Back