Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. L

Cylinder 6, new sparks & coils. Still misfiring!!

Just to clarify, the coil that you bought is a DG511 not a DG508, right? I've seen a number of places show both for the 4.6l 3V.
  2. L

Resonant sound from new K&N intake

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure it was normal, and not a symptom of some other issue. The power issue I have tracked down to a couple of misbehaving ignition coils cooling system issues from a leaky radiator.
  3. L

Has anyone used the INNOVA 3160 Diagnostic Scan Tool for troubleshooting before? Is there a better tool for less money?
  4. L

Dual Straight Cat Blacks

I was trying to do something like that, but all the custom exhaust places that I went to said there wasn't enough room on the passenger side to do it because of the gas tank.
  5. L

Thanks anyway, but that info is wrong. I have more than enough experience with CAI's, catback, cams, and ECU tuning on a Dynojet proving quite the opposite. The Explorer (like any other mass produced vehicle) is nowhere near "fine tuned to drive and have the best mileage with the factory set...
  6. L

I know the growl and sound increase - every one of my FI vehicles (V8's, V6's and turbo 4's - all Ford) I have converted over to a CAI of some sort, and this sound is just not normal. Way too loud, and right at 2200-2500RPM. Never had that before. I'll contact Torrie, and see what he has to...
  7. L

New mod installed - K&N FIPK 57-2573. I seem to have these symptoms: 1: Loud resonant howl at 2200 to 2500 RPM at over ?30%? to WOT. -- I can feel it in the floor and firewall. -- Mostly happens when warm, and is more prevelant when using a SCT tune. 2: Power seems to be down from the...
  8. L

Solved Another thread about exhaust manifolds replacement on 4.6 v8.

Shoulda gone with long tube headers as long as you were replacing them! :D Good Job!
  9. L

06 Explorer Questions

My 06 Mountaineer does have the TPMS, so I would expect that you Explorer does too. For the rough running, do you have the V6 or the V8?
  10. L

2 out of 3 DC jacks are dead

It's possible that the connectors to them have gotten dislodged. Take a look at the backside of the outlet, and make the connections are good and tight.
  11. L

RS5000 shocks

My replacement shocks suck. They are the Monroe Reflex shocks, put in about 10K miles ago, and they are way too soft, have been from day 1. The body lean is bad, and going through lane avoidance maneuvers feels almost dangerous. I want something nice and stiff, so I want to get the...
  12. L

Climate Control on Steering Wheel intermittent and crossed behavior.

My 2006 Mountaineer is having the same problem now. Has anyone had this fixed yet?
  13. L

2006 4.6 Liter V8- Cam problems

Hey JP, What makes the shop feel that a cam needs to be replaced? How is the driveability of the truck right now? Like the others have said, it's very rare to have a cam go bad.
  14. L

Lower performance when the engine is at operation temp.

Just a stock paper air filter, replaced about 5K miles ago. No turbo or supercharger (yet :D ) so no intercooler.
  15. L

Would a ScangaugeII be a help in diagnosing this?
  16. L

By sluggish, I mean it just doesn't feel eager to accelerate like it does when it's cold. I feel like I have to drive it like I'm mad at it to get it going. Unfortunately, I don't have a better metric to go by. I have not cleaned the MAF yet - but that is a good idea. I'll try that...
  17. L

No - I have to get an ODBII monitor. I was thinking Torque for the Android. Mileage stayed about the same after the tires (once I ran the math). The old tires were about 29" in diameter, and the new ones were 30.5".
  18. L

I have an 06 Merc Mountaineer, with the 4.6l 3v V8. When I start it up in the morning, the performance is good, responsive. But after the engine gets up to temp, it feels sluggish. It has 128K miles on it, and it's been this way since I got it at 95K miles. I'm not sure if it's the...
  19. L

06 mountaineer - seized engine

If your Mountaineer is in otherwise good condition (no rust, everything else is working good), I would just get the engine fixed/replaced. The reason that I say that is, if you get another used car for about the same price as the engine (~$4000), you're going to possibly be getting another...
  20. L

Tires question

I love my Kelly Signature Safari's in the snow - they have been great! I also upped the size to 265-60/18, and they look much better than the little 235's. http://www.kellytires.com/en-US/tires/safari-signature
  21. L

lift kit

Truxxx or Traxda. Search this and modified forum for more info. http://traxda.com/ford-lift-and-leveling-kits/ford-explorer/06-10-ford-explorer-2wd-4wd-sport-trac-mercury-mountaineer-front-and-rear-lift-kit-102010.html
  22. L

new explorer, questions

Anyone who didn't have the time/money/interest to fix it. :D
  23. L

What to do...

You should read the sticky entitled "Maximum Traction Solution - 4th Gen" at the top of this forum. Member The Electrician here wrote that article, and I belive that it will help you immensely.
  24. L

Cat back exhausts for the Explorer/Mountaineer

Hello All, Does anyone know of performance minded cat-back system for the Explorer/Mountaineer 4.6 3V V8 that exits in the stock location, rather than exiting on the side? The Gibson that I saw exits on the side, and I'm not a fan of that.
  25. L

Check out this custom Ranger!!

That dash center reminds me of an Edsel grill. :) Beautiful truck!
Back