Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Ford really does not care about "Quality is Job One"

As long as it doesn't squeak/creak/rattle, I could live with a minor panel misalignment.
  2. R

My Explorer is "eating" rotors

Hi! My '00 XLS is going through rotors like they are going out of style. On May 17th my front left caliper seized. The dealer replaced the caliper, turned both front rotors, and installed new brake pads under warranty. 4 weeks later a severe vibration developed when I would slow down (the...
  3. R

Tires out of balance?

Hi! This may seem like an odd question, but what are the tell-tale signs that the tires on a vehicle are improperly balanced or just simply out of balance? I had new tires installed a couple of weeks ago, and ever since then the ride quality of my Explorer seems to have worsened. I am...
  4. R

New Style Clear Tails...

Hi, I have been waiting for what seems like an eternity for carbon fiber altezzas for the Explorer. In the meantime, though, has anyone seen these? They are really kind of sharp looking. I have never seen anything like this on any vehicle. What do you all think? Dead Link Removed...
  5. R

Costco tires...

Hi again, I spoke with a BFGoodrich representative today about the Kirkland Signature AT tires. He was able to tell me that these are NOT manufactured by BFGoodrich. Costco merely contracts out a BFGoodrich facility and uses their own materials and designs to manufacture tires with the...
  6. R

Costco tires...

I have been watching mine over the past few days and they seem to be wearing okay after all. Initially Costco put 35psi in them, and I took them down to 31psi. Thinking they were riding rough, I took them down to 29psi to try and soften the ride. The ride was softer but also somewhat bouncy...
  7. R

What PSI do you run?

I used to run 28psi on all four corners when I had the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires on my Explorer. I run 30psi all around now that I have switched to a more aggressively treaded all terrain tire (the Goodyears have a relatively mild tread pattern compared to other AT type tires). I tried 28...
  8. R

Depth of tread on KO's?

New tread depth is 16/32 for the A/T KO according to bfgoodrichtires.com . A tire with 85%-90% remaining should be somewhere between 13-14/32.
  9. R

Costco tires...

Hi, Just a quick update. Have driven about 100 miles so far on the Kirkland Signature AT's and am starting to have some wear concerns. I am already noticing wear on the outside tread of both front tires. The odd thing is it is not uniform, it is only in spots. I am going to watch them...
  10. R

Costco tires...

Hi, I know this thread is pretty old, but just wanted to chime in. Today I went to Costco and had a set of the Kirkland Signature A/T tires installed on my Explorer (P235/75/15). The whole set, mounted, balanced, installed was only $295. I replaced my Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires which only...
  11. R

Common problems by year...

2000 Explorer XLS...13 months old/17K miles Have had to have the B-pillar realigned and refinished, and the body seams re-welded. Took Ford 5 tries to properly diagnose and repair. All repaired under warranty; cost Ford ~$2,000. Rear wiper does not fully sweep glass. As long as I...
  12. R

Upgraded headlight bulbs

I was considering putting Sylvania Hi-Visibility (9007HV) bulbs in my '00 Explorer, but have been hearing that Ford uses cheap fixtures that will actually melt when anything other than standard halogen (9007) bulbs are installed. Has anyone had their light fixtures melt when using different...
  13. R

My Exp still has Firestones!!! What should I get to replace them?

I have had the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires on my '00 Explorer since the day I bought the truck new. They are very quiet on the highway and perform wonderfully in snow and rain. The wear has been outstanding. After 17,000 miles they still look almost new.
  14. R

Unresolved problem-opinions welcome (long)...

Got my truck back... Hi, Just wanted to let you all know what the dealer did. After keeping my truck for 17 days, they were finally able to resolve the popping noise. Turns out the B-Pillar was misaligned and the body seams were not properly welded during vehicle assembly. So, the dealer...
  15. R

Update... My truck has been at the dealer for the past week while they take their 6th shot at fixing the popping noise in my driver's door. I checked in today, and the dealer indicated they contacted Ford directly. Apparently Ford has had other reports of Explorers with this problem, and...
  16. R

Good morning! These are fantastic suggestions!!! Thanks so much to all for taking the time to respond. I am going to give my dealer one more shot at fixing the noise (and suggest they look at what you guys provided). If they can't get it fixed, then I am going to either go the Lemon...
  17. R

The torsion bar sounds like a step in the right direction. By chance is this something I could crawl under the truck in my driveway and visually inspect? If so, where should I look and what does it look like? Also, I agree that being a pain in the butt is the probably the best way to get it...
  18. R

Yes, the dealer doing the warranty work is the same dealer from whom I purchased the truck. I have also heard that sometimes if a dealer cannot solve a problem after numerous attempts, they will work with the manufacturer (in this case Ford) directly and offer a replacement vehicle as a means...
  19. R

Hi! My '00 Explorer XLS 4x4 has a loud popping noise somewhere in or around the driver's door. I took the truck to my dealer on 9/20/01 to have the problem diagnosed and repaired. Well, it has now been back 5 times for the problem with no resolution. In fact, last week's appointment ended...
  20. R

I want a new car!!!!

I owned a '00 V6 Camaro for a year and a half. It was fun at first but quickly grew to be an inconvenience more than anything. Very little cargo room. Constant worrying in the winter months about snow or black ice patches. Insurance was high, even for someone 25+ ($1200 annually) with a...
  21. R

Last minute door panel removal tips?

Hi! I am going to pull my driver's side front door panel tonight to try to eliminate a nasty clunk that has developed (and put some Dynamat in the door panel for good measure). I have downloaded the removal instructions from the General Explorations forum, but have a couple of additional...
  22. R

Front end noise.

I have the same noise! I haven't taken it to the dealer yet, though. I still can't tell if it is coming from inside the driver's door or from the front suspension. But, it is getting more constant so the dealer should at least be able to "duplicate the problem". I have also heard that...
  23. R

How many miles per tank?

Averaging 325 miles per tank in mixed driving. Never done an all highway cycle, but I would anticipate 375-400 miles on a tank.
  24. R

A/C causing rough idle & elec. problems

Hi! My parents are having an odd problem with their '00 Mountaineer (4WD, 4.0LSOHC, 15K miles). Thought maybe someone could offer some ideas. Occasionally while driving with the A/C (auto A/C) on, the truck's timing will start to flutter. It feels like you are driving on a rough road...
  25. R

Slapping/clapping noise

This is an idea to pursue as well. I have noticed that both front doors have acquired a constant "ticking" in them as of late (again random depending on temperature). It could be there are some loose components rattling around in the doors. It is a nuisance to have to deal with such things...
Back