Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

Low level fuel light

My wife ran out of gas in our 2003 Ford Explorer XLT the other day. The low level light never came on. What would cause the low level light not to come on? And yes, she does plan to do a better job of watching the fuel level in the future! :)
  2. G

Doesn't sound good...'03 Explorer 4.0

Yikes...my original motor blew 6 months ago and this motor is its replacement from a junkyard...I have a year warranty but wonder if they won't replace it as long as it's running.
  3. G

No...mine seems to sound like a diesel for a little while and then disappears.
  4. G

Sounds like a diesel...
  5. G

This is what I'm hearing upon start up. Any ideas? https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23868340/EX.mp3
  6. G

Used motor maintenance recommendations

The intake manifold gaskets were bad. Replaced them and the cel and codes are gone.
  7. G

"How To" replace L.R. door latch, actuator, and door ajar switch on '03 X

Thanks for the write up....I just replaced my rear passenger actuator this afternoon.
  8. G

Door Lock trouble....need help

Yes...that is the noise coming from the door that is not working...
  9. G

Door Lock trouble....need help

I have a 2003 Explorer XLT. I cannot lock or unlock my passenger rear door with the keyless remote. All of the other doors will lock and unlock. I took the inside of the passenger rear door off and when I press the keyless remote to unlock the door, this is what I hear ( I pressed the remote...
  10. G

Clunk when stopping and turning

Check your sway bar end links. The bottom bushings on mine were gone! It was metal on metal.
  11. G

I have been researching this for a while on different threads on this site...My explorer is now starting to miss a little on idle...I also heard that too much oil can cause the p0171 and p0174. I checked the oil and it is a little over the second hole on the dipstick. Any thoughts that this...
  12. G

Thanks for the reply. I'm not an experienced mechanic, so the possible list that you mentioned is a little overwhelming. Suggestions where to start? I really don't want to go to the Ford house if I don't have to...thanks again...
  13. G

Now I'm getting a check engine light Now the check engine light has come on...the Explorer is not exhibiting any hesitation or rough idle, etc. although it does run about 900 rpm when in drive at a stop light. I had the check engine light read at Autozone and I am receiving the p0171 and p0174...
  14. G

I just purchased and had installed (local garage shop) a used 4.0L V6 motor with 80k miles in my 2003 Explorer. My other one died (timing chain failure) with 133k miles on it. I'm wondering what recommendations everyone has about maintenance on this motor since I really don't know how it was...
  15. G

This doesn't sound good :(

Motor is blown... :( Vehicle had 140k on it...I may be moving on with another vehicle...thanks for all of the suggestions...
  16. G

Yes...I have the 4.0L V6 Any idea as to the cost of repair if it's the timing chain or tensioner?
  17. G

Hello everyone, My wife was driving her Explorer today and the car started jumping and hesitating and the check light came on. She was close to our home so she immediately headed home and got it in the garage before it died. I came home tonight and this is what I'm hearing...yikes! I can't get...
  18. G

another no start :(

Iac Possibly a bad IAC. I have a 2002 Escape that wouldn't start and it ended up being a bad IAC. Put a new one in and it started right up.
  19. G

How to: Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex.

Thanks BigRondo Just finished the blend door actuator replacement this afternoon. I can't say thanks enough for the excellent write up with pictures. A friend had come over to help with another project I was doing today and he saw my tools and the write up and said, what are you doing? I...
  20. G

Sorry the .mp3 is not working for you...it does for me...I can hear the door thump, thump, thump...not a quick clicking noise. If I turn the air to hot and put the fan to max, I hear a thump and then I've got hot air...
  21. G

Not sure... Yesterday I started hearing this when I switched from cold to hot on my '03 Explorer. It's not the quick clicking I've heard described in other posts. What do you think? https://files.me.com/rpbc/viat7m.mp3
  22. G

Sway Bar End Links for 2003 Explorer

Have a clunk noise up front and found one of the bushing destroyed on passenger front side sway bar end link. Replace both sides since they're originals even though the other side looks ok? ...and do I need a front end alignment after replacing? Thanks...
  23. G

How To: Replacing Upper Ball Joints on a 3rd Gen 4x4 [Pictures]

Torque specs on this? Doing mine tomorrow!! EDIT: Found this on AutoZone site for 2WD... Upper control arm nuts 111 ft. lbs. Ball joint nut 41 ft. lbs. Did mine today...thanks for the great write up...this site is such a great resource....
  24. G

2003 Explorer with a 4.0L has a misfire.

Well...I hope the O2 sensors work for you. I did all you did plus a fuel pump before I took it to the Ford house...let us know if the sensors fix it for you...
  25. G

2003 Explorer with a 4.0L has a misfire.

Sorry...I didn't, at the time, know it was an O2 sensor causing my problems...you can google it and there are sites that show you how to test the O2 sensor. This is where I was in the process of trying to figure out what was wrong and took it to the Ford house and they found out what was...
Back