Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Leftovers

bump..
  2. B

Leftovers

I traded in my Explorer a few months ago on a new pickup and found a couple of left over parts in the garage this evening as I was attempting to clean it out. So I thought I'd give you guys first dibs on the parts. I'm not really trying to make anything on the parts, but offer me a 20 (or...
  3. B

AntiFreeze in Trans....Huh?

Check out this thread here... Great! Now I've got Chocolate Pudding in my Underpants! Seriously, it's not what you think. I actually started the thread a while back because I found lots of coolant in my transmission. After a new radiator, about 50 quarts of ATF and a couple of Homer 5...
  4. B

Need advice on what woofer to choose

Sounds like you should stick with the 8's. The JBL GTO8 has a shallow mounting depth (something like 4 3/8") but the Infinity Reference is just a hair deeper and should fit fine. My two cents on audio gear is spend a few extra bucks and get something worth hanging on to. Don't waste your time...
  5. B

Need advice on what woofer to choose

Yes, and no... If it were me, I'd go with two 8's in that somewhat limited airspace. You get more surface area than a single 10, and almost as much as a single 12. Heck, if you choose the right ones and had enough amp, you could put three 8's in that space which is almost as much cone area as...
  6. B

Quick question about stock subwoofer replacement

Awesome! Well if the description says "high quality", where could you possibly go wrong??? Muahahhahahhahha! That $12 is with prime shipping, too (if you're a prime member) - what a deal!! :) On a side note, one time my buddy got suckered in to buying a 12" white van sub; after he realized...
  7. B

Quick question about stock subwoofer replacement

I just finished gutting my JBL system in my 96 explorer limited; the sub is a 6 1/2" driver as discussed, but it's impedance measures in at 6 ohms which means it's an 8 ohm driver. Most automotive subs are 4 ohm drivers and I'm pretty sure that Pyle driver (ha ha ha ha) is rated at 4 ohms. So...
  8. B

Great! Now I've got chocolate pudding in my underpants..!

You usually need more than 4 gallons to flush yours??? I don't think I wanna know... ha ha ha Anyways, my buddy had the tech at work hook it up to their machine and run it, not once, but twice.. So the total quart count is now 52 - YOWZERS! But it seems to have done the trick as my fluid now...
  9. B

Ugghhh. If forget how much this car likes to fight me. It's like I'm the sleezy guy in high school who was always trying to cup a feel and get's smacked by the woman every time I try and tinker under the hood of the exploder... So I pulled the old radiator out, put the new one in, dropped the...
  10. B

Either way, the suction on this thing is turning out to be real suck-tion.. It's confirmed: bad transmission cooler in the radiator. I popped open the radiator cap and found pink cream floating around in it. Yummy... Not a whole heap of it, but it was in there. So I'm headed over to a...
  11. B

Mehh... This thing only goes around town, usually. Sometimes up to the ski hill. Fortunately, I haven't had any transmission related mobility problems with this thing lately. Although the fluid is frothy, it actually drives and shifts just fine until it gets warm, and then in drops in to gear...
  12. B

Tranny problem?

Ya, what he said... It could be something as simple as low fluid level. Have you checked the fluid for both level and condition (engine warm and running, on level ground, etc)? It should be a nice ruby red pink color and shouldn't smell burnt. Also, little floaties that look like sand are...
  13. B

thanks for the replies. Looks like I'm gonna have fun... My buddy was able to hook me up with a deal on a new radiator so I'll be going to pick it up in an hour or so. He can also get me some additive (for free) that they use when they do transmission flushes. Would you guys recommend using...
  14. B

Ok, not really. But it looks like I've got a strawberry milkshake in my transmission :( The story goes a little something like this... Every 1000 miles or so I had a plug go bad. My buddy works in the parts department and a Ford stealership, so he hooked me up with uber-cheap diagnostics...
  15. B

vibration while car is off

^ x2 No worries - it's just leveling itself. It'll run for ~15 seconds if it needs, then turn off. Mine does it too.
  16. B

Intake Manifold Gasket or Head Gasket?

I would definitely do a compression check on those two cylinders before you do anything else. If they are both low (like, REALLY low) that usually means your head gasket is toast. Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule, but you can be fairly confident that it's the head gasket as...
  17. B

Help!!

Could be as simple as the transmission being low on fluid. Automatics are just big hydraulic lines (think of a straw that you drink soda out of). If there is an issue anywhere in the line, the whole thing goes caput. In this case, if it is low on fluid, it's like when you get down to the very...
  18. B

Headlight or wiring problem - 96 Explorer Limited

I agree with budwich - search for the Light Out Module problem. There is a module that sits right between the center console and the trip function computer (if you have one), underneath the cupholders and cigar tray. I had the same problem a few months ago and it turned out some of the...
  19. B

Hidden 10" sub and 5-channel amp install

Nice.... I've been wanting to do something similar to my Ex, but haven't had the ambition yet (and it's cold outside and I'm a wuss). Besides, my 10" sub likes the ported box that I built to fit over the passenger's side wheel well and under the cargo area roll out cover. But I'm always afraid...
  20. B

A completely insane/stupid 4.9l swap. Yes, I'm serious.

Oh yeah... dangit! I know there were a few guys that completed the swap without the harness - they just cut and spliced things. But I can't seem to find the right thread. Oh well... Those 4bt's are ridiculously priced! I think it's actually cheaper to swap in a 6bt especially if you can...
  21. B

http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2523&highlight=OBDII+OBDI It's for accords, but check it out anyways. There's some helpful stuff on OBDII to OBDI. Also, you can search for OBDII to OBDI or H22 swaps (H22 is the motor code) on their site. One of the guys just hacked up his...
  22. B

Ha ha ha ha ha ha... I think somebody needs to make a "kickin' the dead horse" smiley icon... :) I'm not even going to jump in the middle of this red-herringed scarecrow on a slippery slope in a texas sauce pan "debate". However, Nate, with regards to OBDI and OBDII playing nice... It can be...
  23. B

My first attempt at automotive painting

Wowzers.... I am also uber-impressed by the rattle can job. We've got a local paint shop that sells color-match paint in a spray can that I've been hesitant to try. But it looks like I'm sold. I just might have to quit hating my accord for being so ugly from having been backed in to several...
  24. B

Coolent Leak from nowhere... HELP

You guys are starting to scare me... I am slowly losing coolant in my 96. I don't mean to hijack the post, but a couple of months ago I noticed my temp gauge doing a slow-mo pogo dance. Checked the radiator and it needed a whole stinkin' gallon to top off! Yikes! So I filled the reservoir...
Back