Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. slpdave

RPM's go up when A/C kicks in.

I am suspecting that my IAC is bad. My Ex had 144800 miles on it, and believe it or not it is %99 factory. Transmission and IAC and the entire front end is still working acceptable so I haven't changed anything yet. The IAC was not allowing the EX to start so I did what I always do and clean...
  2. slpdave

RPM's go up when A/C kicks in.

My Ex started doing this exact thing, but it only does it whent the temp outside has been over 100 degrees Farenheight. We have been above average in temp for the last couple of days here in East TN and I noticed this when I was driving when it was over 100, but not when it was in the mid 90's...
  3. slpdave

Got another one

did your sport have the SOHC engine or OHV. OHV's don't have the HP the SOHC's do (from what I have read anyway, once again correct me if I am wrong) also to clarify an earlier post in this thread. The solenoids have a tendancy to go out and cause transmission failure, I feel lucky to have...
  4. slpdave

Got another one

The trannies (at least from what I've read, correct me if I am wrong) are computer controlled with solenoids(basically an electronic switch thingy), when the solenoids fail the tranny doesn't know how or when to shift. My 2000xlt is doing it with 2nd gear now, I don't have the extra cash to...
  5. slpdave

rough idle, dies, rev to 2500rpm's and all O.K.

All is good in the world of my Explorer today...so cleaning the IAC did the trick. Thanks again jtsmith.
  6. slpdave

Help pls!!!! Truck wont start

I agree completely with the replace the cables. My wife's Infiniti QX4 did this exact thing....$5 worth of cable and $4 worth of new ends and it has started fine and ran fine since.
  7. slpdave

jtsmith, thank you. I pulled the IAC and it was stuck. I moved the plunger to break it free and used some carb and choke cleaner on it. as of right now, the rough idle has gone away and it seems fine. I will repost tomorrow after it sits all night to see if this was definetely a clean to...
  8. slpdave

I checked the IAC like 3 weeks ago during an oil change, I have had to clean it periodically to keep it working. I will recheck it tomorrow, since I checked it before it started doing this I didn't think about it. Thanks for the instant reply
  9. slpdave

Well I don't really know how to put this into a short title. starting last week I started having a strange problem. 1) When I first start the engine (4.0SOHC) it will not idle with out me reving the engine to over 2500rpm's. After like 20seconds of reving it runs fine. 2) if I take my...
  10. slpdave

drivers side door

Sounds like something is loose, I also would take the passenger door off and check linkages.
  11. slpdave

I almost made it

I am trying for 150000 before my first major repair. I have done some minor stuff, but the tranny is starting to go south. O/D light flashing but upon shut down/restart it goes away and runs fine. I have 144000 on the ticker as of this morning, so if I can get 150000 I will be happy. If...
  12. slpdave

mysterious noise

No it doesn't, it shifts normally. My transmission is having problems (2nd gear has problems syncing according to my transmission guy). But when it does this I do not get any transmission error codes (O/D Off light flashing). In retrospect, the sound I get is the same sound my Chevy Silverado...
  13. slpdave

mysterious noise

My 2000xlt does something sorta-like that. I live at the bottom of a big hill, when I have to drive up the hill (taking my daughter to school is an example of why I go up it BTW the hill is names suicide hill and is great for sledding). I believe what happens to me is predetonation on the...
  14. slpdave

Driver seat frame broken...

My 2000xlt had the recliner bolt break, I understand about trying to drive with it like that. As far as the bolt, I fixed it myself in about 30minutes. I unclipped the J clips at the bottom of the back and pulled the fabric up enough to get too the broken bolt. I took the broken bolt to the...
  15. slpdave

96XLT 4x4 Rubbing sound from right rear wheel

I had a simular thing happen when I had to use the spare on vacation, after few miles there was a rubbing sound when I turned the wheel to the right but it was from the front. On inspection it turned out to be the suspension being in a bind because of the spare that was put on the right front...
  16. slpdave

Problems with the A/C

It's low on freon or other coolants if the compressor is cycling a lot. Mine did this and was leaking a fair amount. Fortunately I have a neighbor who is a commercial heating and air guy, he found a bad schrader valve on the high pressure side (I think) the replacement was found at the...
  17. slpdave

I'd like to disspell a rumor

I thought I was wrong once but I was actually mistaken. LOL.
  18. slpdave

Parts

www.rockauto.com
  19. slpdave

towing capacity

tongue weight is around 450lbs for the bumper. I tow a riding mower, trimmer, leaf blower and fuel on a small utility trailer weekly on the bumper with no issues. Be careful, too much weight and you will either bend the bumper or loose your trailer with the bumper going down the road (not...
  20. slpdave

Towing with the Ex

I am to towing expert but you are either at or over the maximum towing capabilities of the Ex. Maybe Aldive will chime-in, he tows a jeep on a big trailer with his Ex without any problems. David
  21. slpdave

Moved to Hot Climate, brakes are making horrible squeaking/squeeling noise....

Yep, sqealers on the pads going off do what you described. At least they do in my neck of the woods. David
  22. slpdave

Door Lock Screwed Up?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180314&highlight=door+latch David
  23. slpdave

How fast is too fast on a 97 Explorer 4.0

High speed is not a good idea in an Explorer, they are top heavy vehicles (unless they are modified). Do your self a favor and don't go too fast, if you were to have an accident it would be disasterous. We had a young couple in an Explorer on the interstate in the county that I live in that...
  24. slpdave

adjust your TPS (another free hp mod)

Well I guess I'll put my 2 cents in now...maybe after another 60 we'll have a dollar. I just did the TPS mod as stated in this thread. I have not driver the Ex since I just did it. It does Idle much more smoothly, it was starting to idle extremely rough but not die, I had already checked...
  25. slpdave

Lithium Ion Powered Motorcycle

Hey try out this website for an all electric drag cycle www.killacycle.com They claim to be the worlds fastest electric motorcycle. I think they are probably not bending the truth on that. David
Back