Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

Escape Hybrid

Well I test drove a FEH and was impressed on how smooth it transitioned to gas. The ride felt good and handled good. I didn't buy because of one small detail... it was kiwi green. I did check the online inventory and found a tungsten grey one near me. I'll be heading to the dealership tomorrow...
  2. P

Escape Hybrid

My drive is around 50/50 - 40/60 city/highway daily driving and a 40 mile drive in stop a go traffic once a week. About half of that drive is in stop and go traffic. Right now I drive a 99 Explorer and only getting 18-20 highway. So moving to an Escape will bump up my mpg. Since I live in...
  3. P

Escape Hybrid

I'm looking into buying a new truck and was looking into a hybrid version. The new Escape Hybrid is on the top on the list but had some questions for anyone who owns one. 1. How's your average MPG. 2. What is the average maintenance cost 3. How is the handling 4. How does it compare to...
  4. P

Replacing bushings

Well I finally got some cheap calipers and found the size of my rear swaybar. It's 19mm but will get more dimensions on the bushings when I can get my EX on some jack stands.
  5. P

Replacing bushings

Please let us know if the rears fit. If possible, can you get the size of the bar? I'll probably get the universal fit parts, along with some endlink bushings. I would have used my brothers calipers but he's in Taiwan right now installing robotic cells.
  6. P

Replacing bushings

I am considering of replacing the front/rear sway bar bushings of my 99 X. I was looking at the Energy Suspension poly bushings but noticed that there are none for the rears. Has anyone replaced theirs? I'm not really looking into replacing the bar itself as it has 140+ miles already. It's...
  7. P

adjust your TPS (another free hp mod)

What I did was use pins. Just push them through the wire or in the connector itself.
  8. P

How many miles do u have on your SOHC?

Model year: 99 Milage: 102K problems: 2 tranny problems, ignition broke, O2 sensors, and all recalls done
  9. P

Thanks FunMobile! Looks like I need to by myself a tachometer. I also was going around the site and found another project that you wrote up. It's http://www.mysporttrac.com/mysporttrac/projects/TPS/TPS.htm.
  10. P

It's been a long time since I've checked the board out. I saw this mod and decided to try it out. Can you give me a step by step procedure to set the "curb idle"? Thanks in advance. BTW, I have a 99 4.0 SOHC.
  11. P

gas mileage improvment.......

Just a poll on tire pressure, what's everyone running on their's? I'm around 35-40. I brought it down to 30 to see what happens and I got around 18. Of course I ran into a few gridlocks and the weather has been around 95 average in Los Angeles. But in the last few fill ups, I got around 20-21...
  12. P

wheel well trim

Does anyone know any online sellers that has wheel well trim for a 99 Explorer. Thanks, Joe
  13. P

changing shocks

Thanks for all the info guys. I just bought the Edelbrocks and installed them myself. Took me 3.5 hours to install with only two stands and a jack. The rear left was the hardest one to replace. Some kind of box, maybe the full pump, got in the way of taking out the top of the oem shocks. As for...
  14. P

changing shocks

ride quality of shocks I'm in the market to change my stock shock for aftermarkets. I have a 99 Explorer 2WD and am looking at the Bilsteins or Edelbrock IAS shocks. My question is how do these shock feel when going over a bump or pothole? I am also thinking of changing out the rear swaybar...
  15. P

what site has the cheapest air intakes?

I just checked the prices and was surprised to see higher! My Explorer is a 99 and when I ordered mines, it was going for $170. Looks like they caught on to the average price range. I'm glad I bought one before the change! Joe
  16. P

Which upgrades are most effective on explorers?

www.smartyparts.com sells the K&N FIPK GenII for $170 + $5 s/h. It just took two weeks for to come in.
  17. P

what site has the cheapest air intakes?

I got my GenII for my 99 Explorer from www.smartyparts.com. They are selling if for $170 + $5 s/h. I got mines about two weeks after ordering it. It was also the cheapest.
  18. P

Rough Idle Speed

Yes I did. The problem turned out to be bad o2 sensors. Went to the dealer and had them replaced.
  19. P

Rough Idle Speed

JM Dookie - Yes, I also really doubt it's the filter. I had it on since Saturday with no probs, only on Wednesday and today. As far it might be an existing problem, I really don't know if it is. My Ex haven't given me problems till yesterday. I just got my food at the window and was about to...
  20. P

Rough Idle Speed

I thought 500 was a bit low! I did a search for my problem and found alot of threads. I also bought Chilton's manual to help me find the IAC. PS - anyone planning on getting a Gen II for their Ex should go to www.smartyparts.com. It sells for about $175 with shipping.
  21. P

Rough Idle Speed

Yes I did reset the computer when I installed it filter. I also disconnected the battery last night and reconnected it back this morning. I then let it run for awhile till it got warm. It still had a rough idle but the fluctuating idle speed has gone away. Is 500 rpm the norm?
  22. P

Rough Idle Speed

I just installed a K&N FIPK Gen II on my 99 EX. Until yesterday, it's been running fine. Now it has a rough idle. Upon starting, the idle speed is 1000 then goes down to 500 after it gets warm. When it's warm the rpm's fluctuate around 400-700. It feels like is going to dye when the idle gets...
  23. P

Dragon Intake

here is link for all supported cars/trucks: Dead Link Removed
  24. P

has anyone bought from smartyparts lately

I am looking to buy a gen II for my 99 Explorer and have found on for $170 from smartyparts.com. I did notice that the price was the same as the 1st gen. Most websites sells the exact part for $230 or more. What I like to know are the experiences others have, good or bad, with them.
  25. P

Are Explorer auto trannys bad?

My X is only 2wd. I only do highway driving. I don't gun my engine at the light, but do only to pass a slow drivers. There is also a TSB for a missing first gear that I found on www.alldata.com.
Back