Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

No start and no power to the fuel pump, help!

Not yet, still no go. I bought a new car and will start working on the explorer again in a few weeks when work winds down. I haven't given up yet and now I have a car for commute and truck for fun. =]
  2. M

It is my dd or was. =] I've been borrowing my girlfriend's car and she may kill me soon. I may have to take it to a mechanic (talked to one today), although now it's like a vendetta. I agree the problem has to be close to pegged down and I will post whatever I eventually find.
  3. M

Hey budwich, I didn't read your post until after I had done my last test. I will check the resistance tomorrow. Unfortunately not enough time in a day.
  4. M

a quick update I jumpered at the relay and got a little over 12v at the pump (same as at the relay) which I believe tells me that the wiring to the pump is sound. So now I've got to look at the pump. I got the replacement at advance and have heard of these pumps failing quickly, but had no...
  5. M

Haha, not meaning to spread the confusion! Not enough sleep I guess. :) I connected the ground wire to the frame and it worked last time around. I was attempting to recreate the now miraculous start from last thursday and to convince myself that there is enough power to run the pump...
  6. M

I'm confused. I attached the pump to the 12v outlet and it didn't turn on. I checked with a meter and am getting a little over 12v at the pump. The wierd thing is the fuse in the 12v plug burnt out. I changed it and it burnt out again. Do you guys think this is a low amp problem from a...
  7. M

Thanks Skoal Mint. I'll check the ground and if that's ok I'll clean the crank sensor. Any suggestions on how to clean it? :)
  8. M

Not Running AGAIN Well, it drove fine Thursday night and come Friday morning it wouldn't start again. I'm out of town but feel free to leave any suggestions!
  9. M

Dunno about the pump. I have a manual transmission and it's been going for a while so this isn't unexpected. With any luck I'll have it changed out tomorrow. :)
  10. M

Running! So I go out to do more diagnostics and just for the hell of it plug in my rigged wire from the 12v outlet to the fuel pump and REALLY hear the pump, no mistaking it. I freeze and unplug it, the noise goes away and I'm happy. I plug it back in, hear it again, hop in the seat turn the...
  11. M

Sorry, yea it's been a busy day. I've started looking at car loans since I have to leave town for work in a week and am thinking this isn't going to be resolved soon. I'm heading out now to look at the connections and cross my fingers.
  12. M

cool, I'll look into that tomorrow. Thanks for the info. :)
  13. M

Thanks Doubt, I was thinking about the spark issue. How would I test that? Just unhook a plug and observe while starting?(prob what I'd do) It looks like I do have an ignition control module. The cheapest one I can find is around 150. Any way to test it before I get a new one? I'll look at...
  14. M

jeeez Ok so it was too dark to really deal with the fuse block and check grounds, but I did take a minute and hook up a wire from the 12v outlet to the pump. As far as I could tell the pump was running (very quiet pump) and read a little over 12v. The car started normally and immediately...
  15. M

I'll check for the drop in a minute, but the pump doesn't run as far as I can tell. It only gets a current for literally a fraction of a second, then the relay clicks off. I'll also give the ignition switch a try, it feels pretty tight but who knows.
  16. M

Thanks budwich, I definitely want to fix the real issue, just need to get the truck moving. I agree that this probably is not wiring, what controls the voltage to the fuel pump relay? I think that should be the next question since it's still shutting off prematurely. What sensor(s) did you...
  17. M

Thanks guys, I've now changed the pcm and fuel pump relays and still no go. The pcm now only clicks on and off with the key so at least that little issue is solved. Unfortunately the fuel pump relay is still clicking off almost immediately after initially clicking open. I didn't have time to...
  18. M

Now, assuming I change the relays and still have the same problem. What would the next step be?
  19. M

Thanks guys. I agree with budwich that if the pcm relay isn't supposed to click on and then off then that's my immediate issue. Once I resolve that problem and the pump is priming and still no start I'll worry about the fuel pressure.
  20. M

I definitely agree about checking the simplest things first. I know I get a partial prime since it will start for a second, but that's it. I've turned it on 5 or 6 times checking voltages before trying to start and it's always the same result. When the key is turned to "on" the relays...
  21. M

Oh yeah, I did try flooring it, no difference.
  22. M

It seems like I get a little pressure from the split second voltage jump but that's it. If possible I'd like to figure out why the fuel pump relay shuts off prematurely causing the fuel pump not to operate. I'd also like to know a good way to temporarily wire the pump until I can fix the...
  23. M

Thanks blorbic, I was thinking of trying to start with a jump and see what happens. The car turns over strongly, but who knows at this point. The engine literally starts and fails within a second. It sounds like it gets a sip of gas and then runs out.
  24. M

update I replaced the bad positive terminal (the rest of the wire looks sound) and while I was at it I changed the fuel filter which I was planning to do anyway. There seemed to be some fuel pressure but I don't ever hear the pump prime. Still no go. Starts and dies. I checked the voltage...
  25. M

Thanks Don. I'll definitely fix the connectors before I finish up.
Back