Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

1997 Explorer 4x4

What is an average price for the above. It has posi rear end. 150,000 miles, good running condition. Overall nice car. What should it sell for in California?
  2. M

Good or bad decision?

Most of the Jeep guys like their Jeeps. There seems to be a high rate of factory related problems. Some recalls on 2012-2014 Jeeps. Since it is to late to change, I will just have to hope that I get a good one. Our Explorer is 4x4 with LS differential. I have always thought that it could take us...
  3. M

Good or bad decision?

Thanks for all the reply's. At our age, resale is not an issue. Not sure how long we will be driving. Most of our friends our age are sitting at home. The young people are out rock crawling. We are going to buy a satellite phone for insurance. Friends our age are dropping like flies, so if we...
  4. M

Good or bad decision?

We are in our 70's and want to do some serious exploring in the desert and mountains. So our choices were to fix up our 97 4x4 Explorer, so it would be reliable out in the wilderness, or buy a new rig. So,,, we just ordered a 2014 Jeep Wrangler from the factory. I hope it will be as reliable as...
  5. M

Visual inspection

After looking around, I have found this information. Rear sway bar needs bushings. Front sway bar is massive. I have 28 inch diameter tires and have at least 3 inch clearance on all four tires, with closest clearance between front of front tire and bumper. I have 8 inch clearance from...
  6. M

Baja ready

I just did a search on Mojave, and that is just what I want to do. Go out to old ghost towns and abandoned mines, etc. I have "like new" m+s tires that should do the trick on dirt roads. Not sure on sand. My idea is if I am on a dirt road and see something interesting off in the distance where...
  7. M

Baja ready

I have a 1997 stock Explorer 4x4 xlt with posi. What would it take to make it capable to go across the desert where there are no roads, ala Jeep Rubicon. No rock crawling, just desert driving. I am considering purchasing a Rubicon or Xtara pro4 or fixing up my Explorer. I love our Explorer, and...
  8. M

What to do.

When this one gives up the ghost, we plan on buying a new one. We love our Explorer. Why not use the money we would spend fixing this one, on buying a new one?
  9. M

What to do.

I have a 1997 Ford Explorer, 4.0 sohc, 3.73 posi differential, 4x4. automatic. It has 150k miles on it, and when the engine or trans goes, I do not want to spend any new money on an old car. So I am thinking when the trans or engine dies, I will pull the whole rear end and keep it for a...
  10. M

Removing Roof rack cross bars

I went out to look at mine, and did not see anything to depress. I hope someone can give you and I some information on how to remove them. I have never used the top rack, and do not plan to.
  11. M

1997 for off road use.

I try to buy as much as I can, that is made in the USA. Sometimes it is difficult to find things made here. I will gladly pay a little more for USA made items.
  12. M

1997 for off road use.

Oh,,, I see that the Bighorns and Wranglers are two different tires. :eek: They both look good.
  13. M

1997 for off road use.

Very nice. It looks like your Explorer will go anywhere. My next tires will be the Goodyear Wrangler. I did some research, and many jeep owners are switching to our Explorer differential to get the 31 spline 8.8 setup. They say that it is stronger than the dana 44.
  14. M

1997 for off road use.

Thanks to all.... Great looking tire. We just got back from another adventure. No problems. Handled the ruts and dirt very well. We go slow and try to dodge the ruts. It is nice to put the transmission into low, and go down steep grades without using up the brakes. I am becoming a believer...
  15. M

1997 for off road use.

Thanks for all the information. You guys are giving me hope. I will check into those tires. I do have a wench that is in a cradle that goes into my two inch receiver in the back. I hope that I do not get myself into a situation that I will need it, but it is better to have it and not need it...
  16. M

1997 for off road use.

I have the 235/75r15 tires. It looks like I have a little more than three inches clearance front to back on the tires and lots of clearance above the tires. I wonder what 15 inch tire would be a good choice for our Explorer. I got under it and found that the lowest place is the differential...
  17. M

1997 for off road use.

Thanks for the information. Those are the types of trips we want to go on. Back in the day, we lived in Grand Terrace, and have been to Big Bear and Crestline many times. My wife graduated from high school at Colton, and I from Riverside Poly. I will check into tires. We now live in Northern...
  18. M

1997 for off road use.

I have a stock 1997 Explorer 4x4 with a rear factory posi. I know it is not a Rubicon, but will my car work well on dirt roads, or should I start modifying it? It has the 4.0 sohc engine and auto trans. I don't want to "rock crawl" or anything close to that, but I would like to explore ghost...
  19. M

water gauge temp sender

Thanks; Very good information. I can not see any sensor that has just one wire. I will be able to get the car into the garage over the weekend, to tearing it apart to find the water temp gauge sender.
  20. M

water gauge temp sender

I was driving our 1997 Explorer and noticed a red "check" gauge light. The water temp gauge was beyond hot. I pulled over and everything seemed ok with the engine. I let it set overnight and the next day saw that the gauge was still pegged beyond the H. I started the vehicle up and the gauge...
  21. M

Mojave Road and Death Valley, March 2011

What route are you going to take through Death Valley to Baker? With all the rain they are getting now, "they are getting pounded". Hope it dries out by March.
  22. M

New guy..

I am new to the forum, so I hope I am in the right section. I have a 1997 Explorer, xlt, 4x4, limited slip, with a problem code of 1780 which supposed to be the overdrive button. It stays in overdrive all the time. The button to take it out of overdrive does not work. They also said that I had a...
  23. M

1997 explorer xlt 4x4

I just had aamco do a transmission fluid change. I wanted a complete flush, but they said that the pan had some particals in it and recommended just replacing the filter and putting more trans fluid back in, so that is what they did. They checked for codes and found 1780 which they said was a...
  24. M

New guy...

Hello; I searched for this forum, because I have a 1997 Explorer xlt 4x4 and have a problem with the overdrive button not working. It stays in overdrive all the time. I just had my transmission fluid changed, and they checked for codes. They said that they found 1780 which is the overdrive...
Back