Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

4R70W Valve Body Issue?

Update... A week ago, I dropped the pan and found the filter in the bottom. The filter let go of the rubber seal (autozone filter). Ive used them before with no problems. Put a new Ford filter in. Now holds reverse down the driveway. No neutral feel. With the filter out, pump lost prime. All is...
  2. C

4R70W Valve Body Issue?

I rebuilt my trany 8 years ago, just about to turn 100k miles. My current issue is with reverse. I have a down hill slope out my driveway. When shift to reverse, no problem, engages fine. Coasting down the drive, it seems to go to neutral. When I get to bottom and give it gas to back out (street...
  3. C

2003 Explorer Transmission Problem

Yes, Its fixed for now. Broken OD servo. Replaced both and all seems well. No engine light, no flashing OD off light. The jury is still out on the bores. Did you fix yours?
  4. C

Solved Transmission Band Adjustment Specification Chart

Ahhhh, its clicking now (brain cells banging around). The OD servo I found broken (it broke in a perfect circle where the steel pin attaches to the steel cup) likely broke due to a worn bore. The binding over time caused fatigue and eventual failure of the steel cup of the servo itself! That...
  5. C

Thanks for the post. No on the torque wrench. I used a 5-50' lbs 3/8 torque wrench. My 8 pt sockets are 3/8". I have some concern about the bores. As best I could, I tried to "feel" them with the old servos feeling for lateral movement. They felt good, but I had no way to measure. I did the...
  6. C

2003 Explorer Transmission 5R55S See link to initial problem. The OD servo fixed the tranny. I replaced both the intermediate and OD servos. Have all gears. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298512 I did the band adjustment as described here. Both bands torqued to 10'...
  7. C

2003 Explorer Transmission Thanks to you swetrid and others on this site for pointing me in the right direction. I finally got the chance over the Holidays to investigate. After performing a band adjustment and concluding the bands were intact, I pulled the overdrive servo cover and found a...
  8. C

Engine Sensors - Part 2 - Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor

MAF Sensor I experienced a gradually worsening spark knock over peroid of 6-9 months in my Crown with loss of power. After research, found the MAF sensor was possible culprit. It didn't look dirty? I cleaned it with a (keeping in mind I wanted to be delicate with it) a feather duster as I...
  9. C

I looked through the forum and found similar info, but symptoms don't quite match mine. For give me if duplication. I have a 2003 Explorer XLT, 4.0v6, 196,200 miles. Original Transmission. The vehicle was a company car driven primarily on the freeway for its first 166,600 miles. My wife...
  10. C

How to: 4R70W Rebuild Diary Discussion, Questions, ETC

I think I can finally certify my transmission (as certifications go for a rookie rebuilder). The grinding/buzzing/zzzzzzz sound (actually more of a feel), did turn out to be the ABS. I have not read much on it, but the ABS must go through an activation process at about 10-15mph the first time...
  11. C

I have driven now about 300 miles, transmission is working perfectly. I'm thinking the issue of changing from 2nd thorugh 3rd into 4th may be in the programming logic in an attempt to get into final drive quickly to maximize fuel economy. I have a friend with a 97 Grand Marquis, same...
  12. C

Please elaborate. Can you describe in some detail sensor input? How to check? Should it trigger a warning light? The transmission tester, is it a hydraulic or electrical tester? Thanks for all your input.
  13. C

Update... Transmission installed Saturday, new intake manifold installed Sunday. Cranked car on Monday (dead battery late Sunday) and ran as suggested. After 5 min run time and 30 min off, cranked again and put in reverse and drive several times. Engaged well. Took it on short trip round the...
  14. C

For more info, read my first post under "Glacier-back from vacation" Regarding the pump, I think i'm good with bleed hole at 12'oclock. My repair manual says 12, but the insert in my rebuild kit says 2. I noticed the pump pic in the rebuild diary is at 12. Also, after figuring out how to...
  15. C

Glacier - Back from two weeks away...

I apologize in advance for the lenghty post and the fact I do not own an Explorer. I own a 99 Crown Vic with the 4R70W. This is my first tranny rebuild. Thought I would give a shot before I had a shop look at it. I took it out of the car July 2nd and as of now 8/20, its still in pieces on my...
Back