Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. N

Whining noise when cold start, 2006 V-6

Hello all, have a 2006 Exp V6 with 200,000 miles on the odo. In cold weather during a cold start there is a loud whining noise from under the front of the vehicle. I replaced the belt tensioner and idler pulley because it's that type of noise it makes. Also replaced the alternator because...
  2. N

How long can it last?

200K on my 2006 4.0 V-6 with no motor or trans issues. Replaced all hubs at 100K, radiator was replaced about 50K ago. All maintenance like serpentine belt and idler/tensioner, thermostat housing was done by me. Always used synthetic oil changed every 6K. Trans fluid was Valvoline full...
  3. N

Squeaking noises from back of engine - SOLVED

Never saw anything like this. Nice troubleshooting though.
  4. N

Trans shudder

I actually took it to the dealer with 2 gallons of Valvoline synthetic. They did the rest.....
  5. N

Trans shudder

I had the same issue at about 145,000 miles. Changed the fluid to Valvoline Synthetic and after about 2,000 miles the shudder was gone. Now at 190,000 it still shifts perfectly.....
  6. N

Head liner problem.

Hello all, anyone have a problem with the headliner material separating? This is happening where the headliner meets the windshield. The tan fabric is coming loose from the backing material. Anyone had this problem and fixed it without making as mess of the headliner? Thanks.....
  7. N

MAF-sensor cable isolation cracked

Here is a link to the connector repair kit. http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4022055&cc=1434497&jsn=636
  8. N

Connector Catalog For Brittle Wiring

Below is a link for the Ford connector catalog. Hopefully it will help in some of the brittle wiring some have been complaining about. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_axvwW5fSzySFhSWnFLTFNuMFE/view?usp=sharing
  9. N

More rotted wire insulation.

I have a catalog of 50 pages of pigtail connectors for Ford. It's in PDF format but I don't know how to post it here. Any advice?
  10. N

2006 4.0L extremely noisy when cold start

Gorb, no airbag light this time but I had that in the past. Someone posted that the battery was weak during cold start. I doubted that but sure enough about a month later the battery died and when I replace it, the airbag light problem was solved. Go figure.....
  11. N

2006 4.0L extremely noisy when cold start

Hello all, my 2006 Exp w/ V-6 and 190,000 miles on the odometer is extremely noisy from a cold start. It goes away after about 3-5 minutes. The noise appears from the accessory area of the engine. It has been consistent for the past 3 winters but quiet during the summer months. It sounds...
  12. N

2006 4.0L EGR Replacement

Hello all, tried today, unsuccessfully to replace the EGR valve on my Exp. The problem is I was afraid of cracking the intake manifold putting pressure on the wrench to loosen the fasteners. Any suggestions? Thanks.....
  13. N

I hate my white instrument cluster. What can I do about it?

pjw73nh, you are correct. Standard incandescent lamps......
  14. N

Upgrading from 2006 to 2015?

Hello all, I have a 2006 EB that I've had for 9 years with 176k on the ODO. I love this SUV and it's been an incredible ride. I'm thinking of giving it to my daughter and getting a 2014 or 2015. Any opinions from anyone that upgraded to the newer SUV from the older style? Comfort, quietness...
  15. N

Wind noise

Can you please post some pictures of exactly where you applied the sealant? Thanks.....
  16. N

Mid-repair, quick question!!

Why would you need to remove the ball joint to change the hub assembly? I just removed the axle nut, brake caliper & bracket, 3 hub bolts. Then with some effort the hub comes out.
  17. N

No Start Issue

Did you try and cycle through the gears to make sure it's in park? Also, give the battery a jump even though other things seem to work.
  18. N

Radiator Revisited....

Hello All, ordered a new radiator for my 2006 Exp w/ 4.0 V6. Splurged for the Spectra CU2816. Unboxed it and the transmission cooler line connections are bigger on the new radiator as compared to the old one. What gives? The radiator was replaced under warranty in 2008 and it's been fine...
  19. N

Dual Climate Control problem, passenger side blows hot while on AC

Hogwash, message me privately if you can. Neil
  20. N

Hub/bearing assembly front 07 xlt

I replaced my originals at 100,000 miles with GOOD quality replacements. Timkens in the front which I installed. SKF's in the rear that were installed professionally. Now at 163,000 miles, still all quiet (knock on wood!). Are you sure of the quality of your replacements?
  21. N

2010 Explorer 4.0L Fuel Filter Location

I think it's bolted to the left frame rail about under the rear seat? Can someone confirm my poor memory....
  22. N

Headlight Switch Backlight Bulb

I don't think that lamp is available as a replacement. I went to Radio Shack and purchased a small 12 volt lamp w/ leads and improvised. I reused the plastic cap and installed a new lamp. Still works great 3 years later. http://www.radioshack.com/12v-microlamps-2-pack/2721092.html#start=1
  23. N

Engine takes several cranks to start

Well folks, I had the same problem as first stated. Much longer cranking time to start. Started every time but took longer. Yesterday the battery died completely so off to Walmart for a 850CCA battery for $109. About $50 cheaper than Advanced or Autozone and it was a battery made in the USA...
  24. N

Engine takes several cranks to start

Mine does the exact same thing with 158K on the odometer. I'll be interested in any replies.
Back