Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

seized a/c compressor, clean orifice tube

I stand corrected on the dryer/accumalator termanology. How do you maintain any pressure in the system when the system is opened? The compressor warrenty (as I stated above) should be of some consideration because of the cost.
  2. C

If it is a '94 Explorer (as indicated under his name) it has an orfice (expansion) tube and a dryer (which helps with any small amount of moisture that might be in the system). These parts perform two totally jobs that are necessary.
  3. C

Do not forget the dryer; most parts houses will not warrenty the compressor with out installing a new dryer.
  4. C

computer help

Controls the shifting of the electic shift thansfer case along with the reset. Charles
  5. C

O2 sensor

One O2 sensor - on top of the exhaust just in front of the cat. converter. Vacuum leaks are a major cause of lean O2 readings. Might be wise to do some checking in this area before you start replacing sensors. Sensors can get to be expensive and will not always solve a problem caused by another...
  6. C

Steering box replacement

BEWARE! Hammering on the end of a shaft is not good on the bearings or mechanical seal. I KNOW, it's done all the time. But the potential for damaging internal rotating parts is much greater when hammering (even litely)on the end of a shaft and may/maynot show up immediately. Use the proper...
  7. C

Need a little advise

Same tool as used to disconnect the AC spring lock fittings
  8. C

What would you do in My situation?

Sounds as if you were more overanxious than stupid. The radio doesn't make it run any better. The gas gage may only need a new float on the sending unit to make it work, not a real major issue or fix if you do it yourself. If the running gear is in decent shape fix the minor issues as you...
  9. C

Leak from rear of engine

Some of the 4.0L ford engines are noted for developing leaks around the core (freeze) plugs, especially on the back end of the heads, against the firewall, especially a high mileage engine. Not easy to see and hard to find when the engine is cooled down and the cooling system is not pressured...
  10. C

Where's the leak?

My '92 Explorer has been converted to freon r134a. I've had a lot of trouble with the schrader valve (especially on the low side) leaking. The plastic cap you put over the quick disconnects offer little hope as far as stopping this type of leak. Plastic will not hold the pressure due to its...
  11. C

AC quick connect problems

Did you pull the expansion orfice out and check it for blockage? Sounds as if the system might be plugged on the suction side. If so, you are lucky the the new condenser didn't split open. Charles
  12. C

A/C Replace compressor and/or clutch?

The reddish dust ia a strong indication of the bearing in the clutch assembly going bad. If the AC system has 175K you might want to replace compressor & clutch as a unit. If you replace just the clutch the cost will be considerably less due to the fact that you do not OPEN the system. If the...
  13. C

Plug fouling

Had the same problem a few months ago with #4 plug. Turned out to be the coil. Swapped in a used coil from another 4.0L and solved the problem. Charles
  14. C

RA bushing symptoms?

You might want to check the output shaft (pitman arm shaft) of the steering gear box for excessive play. Charles
  15. C

94 explorer ... evaporator core

At todays prices $25 was not a bad price. Just to change the parts above, I would guess about 2 hrs. at most, but that depends on a persons mechanical abilities & tools & interruptions. If you do your own evacuation and charging you are looking at more time. Obviously, the more you do...
  16. C

94 explorer ... evaporator core

How did you determine the evaporator has a leak? Not really that hard to change a on 1st. gen. Explorer. While you have the system open consider replacing all the o-rings with new ones - not that expensive. If you do change the evaporater core it would be a good time to convert to r134a...
  17. C

1991 Explorer

Are the replacement switches of the same brand/type? It is possible (thou unlikely) that they are factory BAD, especially if they are of the same manfacturing lot. Consider changing to a different brand/manufacture. Charles
  18. C

Catilytic converters Any tried these?

I bought a converter for a '92 Explorer from these people about 2-1/2 years ago. Only thing that didn't fit was the male part that extends from the 3 bolt flange on the end of the cross over pipe. Just cut it off and bolted the converter (with new gasket) up. Two inspections later and no...
  19. C

Fuel Line leek!

Post your needs in the WANTED section on this web site or possibly make a trip to a wrecking yard. Either way should produce favorable results. Charles
  20. C

clutch or compressor?

Glacier: You are correct as far as you go. Remember that the clutch is an electromechanical device with very close tolerances between the disc and the drive sheave. The bearings are turning (as is the drive sheave) anytime the engine is running. The clutch just transfers energy to turn the...
  21. C

Wiring diagram

I have both the EVTM and the Truck Wiring Diagrams for 1992 Explorer; both are Ford factory manuals. I've found that using both manuals to answer or solve wiring questions makes it easier. The Truck Wiring Diagrams manual is 11"X17" with some pages unfolding to 17"X27" so trying to copy a page...
Back