Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny????

2002 XLT 4wd, 195,000 miles. Original transmission, cv joints, ball joints. On its third set of brakes.
  2. J

Howling noise from rear end at highway speeds

I think its the pinion bearing. It went out on my 2002 at 83k miles. My truck made the same noises you are describing. I got to thinking more and it could also be a bearing i have replaced 5 rear wheel bearings. my ex only has 155k highway miles.
  3. J

Klunking / Whining noise when turning...

I would also like to know the answer as I have the exact same problem.
  4. J

OEM battery finally went kaput!

My original motorcraft battery lasted about 6 years. Then one morning I went to start it and it was deader than a door nail. The interior lights wouldn't even come on, I tried to charge it and it wouldn't take a charge. I replaced it with a optima red top from costco.
  5. J

pulled out a ford f250

I wasn't planning on towing anything so I didn't have my camera.
  6. J

pulled out a ford f250

Today I pulled out a 1994 ford f250 4x4. The guy was going to pull his 1994 lincoln town car out of the snow but the front axle spindle broke and his now 2wd truck was stuck in the woods. The truck was pinned against a tree and was on an incline. The ex pulled it great. After the truck was out I...
  7. J

Vibrations in the Rear

You should also check for broken rear coil springs. Before I found out mine had failed the rear end would do some funky stuff and make wierd noises.
  8. J

rear differential cover removal

I ended up taking it to a local shop and It turns out the right rear wheel bearing was bad. They said the wheel was shaking. It wasn't shaking while driving and I checked the bearing for play a couple of times. It must have decided to crap out on the way to the shop. The diff fluid was changed...
  9. J

the rear differential was rebuilt at the ford dealer at 82k miles. the right rear wheel bearing was replaced at 73k miles and the left rear wheel bearing was replaced at 91k miles. the truck now has 134k miles. There was always a howling noise coming from the rear of the car. There was a very...
  10. J

the two bolts in the frame was what was confusing me. I am working on the truck on the ground. If i remove the two bolts connected to the frame will the whole differential come out? or just the cover? Also what is the torque spec on those two bolts? Thanks.
  11. J

I am trying to change the differential fluid and I have been hearing some wierd noises from the differential. I took out the 8 bolts that are on the differential cover and I can't get it off. Is there something I am missing? Thanks. some pics would really help.
  12. J

scrapping noise when turning left

I found the problem and fixed it. It turns out that the rock shield behind the rear right brake rotor had a dent in it and was rubbing on the inside of the rotor.
  13. J

so....i'm taking the back end of the explorer apart today. I shall post my findings.
  14. J

A Newbie! NEED YOUR HELP! 03 XLT PROBLEMS & Accessories!?!

I would recommend investing in a k&n air filter. I have one on my explorer and I am happy with it. As far as the "twister" I've heard that they are worthless and don't do anything for mpg. I think they are called the tornado fuel saver. As for the heated seats....there are aftermarked kits...
  15. J

I really hope it's not the whole rear end. I don't want to put another rear end in this thing.
  16. J

I have a 2002 explorer xlt 4x4 with the 4.0l v6 engine. It has 132,600 miles and it has the 3.73 limited slip rear end. When I turn left i can hear a pulsing scraping noise. It happens at around 25 mph. I can't feel it in the floor or the steering wheel and it is coming from the rear. I had...
  17. J

ko's tire pressure

I run mine at around 45 psi. WoW this thread is old!
  18. J

Took the X out for some snow fun!

Thanks for the compliments!:thumbsup:
  19. J

I am 4x4 with a limited slip rear diff.
  20. J

This is where i almost got stuck. It looks a lot worse in person.
  21. J

Here are some pics!
  22. J

The new BFG all terrain tires are great. I was driving through 2 feet of snow part of the time. I got sucked in a ditch once because there was thick ice under the snow. I just turned the wheels and drove out. I Love this truck!:)
  23. J

4x4 module may be bad

To answer your question......I have not found the problem. I am pretty sure the problem is with a sensor or the electrical system. I shall post an update when I find the problem.
  24. J

4x4 module may be bad

I am trying to figure out the wiring issue, that way i can test the motor and troubleshoot the rest of the 4x4 system.
  25. J

4x4 module may be bad

I put it all back together this morning since I need to drive it tonight. I may need to stop at the library and check out a service manual. I plan on rebuilding this transfer case motor. I think I have used 4x4 low 5 times since the truck was new. I wonder why the life span on these motors is so...
Back