Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. L

For Sale Free to good home...Valve Body `96, Rebuild Kit

PM Rec'd, replied - y'all, this thing is outta here Snoranger is an angel. Made me all teary eyed, y'all! The items will do a very fine deed...thanks again, you guys! BEST people on the net!!!
  2. L

For Sale Free to good home...Valve Body `96, Rebuild Kit

Hi! Well, it's like this - I had the valve body replaced in my `96 XLT and then sold it. But I have the old valve body and new/unused kit in a box. I'd love for them to go to someone who can use them. I suspect the valve body could easily be rebuilt - not even sure it is bad, frankly - or even...
  3. L

What Would You Pay For It?

Well, friends - the `96 has given up the ghost. I had a valve body put in and it did not fix the ol' bad shift from 1st to 2nd issue so I am fairly confident it is the transmission. Hubby says it's time to stop throwing money at it. I've got to sell it and someone already expressed interest...
  4. L

Valve Body Replacement (not Rebuild) - Prep List?

Ranger! THANKS!! Hubby's g-ma is very ill so my repair is back burnered which gives me time to find the parts. Fred and BB - thanks so much for the advice! You guys always step up and I truly appreciate it!!!
  5. L

Valve Body Replacement (not Rebuild) - Prep List?

I saw in another post references to must haves for a valve body replacement. (The posts on rebuilds are amazing but...they are also why I just bought a whole body. ;)) So for my 4R55E engine - `96 Explorer XLT 4WD - and the lovely body from Central (great folks)...what should I have handy...
  6. L

Valve Body and Ye Olde Surge Issue - An Essay

Thx! Was going to use the CentralValveBodies but didn't know what to order. Def using the rebuilt. Really appreciate the response!!
  7. L

Valve Body and Ye Olde Surge Issue - An Essay

OK...the old girl ran a very long time after my last plea for help here resulted in fine answers (and solutions, thankyouverymuch!). But I suspect she has come to the end of her road. I post this only in the hope that she can be resurrected. 1996 XLT 4.0 Autotrans w/ - I know, I know - about...
  8. L

96 XLT - ignition switch malfunction, power drain

Fixed - Ignition Switch and...the dog? I just wanted to post the solution so as to properly close out this thread. As suspected, the ignition switch had to be replaced. A local friend did it for a reasonable expense (reasonable because I had to mess with the steering column before for the...
  9. L

how bad is the stealership screwing me

That price for sensor replacement SUCKED!! I replaced both of mine before - the parts weren't cheap but maybe $50 per? BUT!!! The danged things were HARD to access even with my girly hands. AND that special socket. I had to turn on the truck, get it warm under there, turn it off and climb under...
  10. L

96 XLT - ignition switch malfunction, power drain

Greetings! It has been a LONG while since my baby gave me trouble!! THIS seems truly weird. Just a couple days ago I came home and turned off the Explorer. Strangely, the radio did not turn off as it should. Too, my headlights were on and I turned them off, as usual. But when I opened my car...
  11. L

99 Electrical issues

MFS in Column You guys left out the 45 curse words required while working on/in the column. Had to replace the whole wiper lever thingy and it was horrid. HORRID. When I finally got it out (seems everything is controlled by the box at the end of the stalk), I flung it down the drive, yelling...
  12. L

Replace Calipers & Bearings-How To, `96 XLT

As an FYI - the part store indicated I had to get an entire "hub assembly" replacement for the bearing work. At about $240 for both sides, it is nothing like your usual "bearing" work. So...it's been put off for about 2 wks. But I am not thrilled.
  13. L

Yup, it's a 4WD. The whole spindle?! That sounds...extreme. I'll have to look into that a bit further...really trying to avoid taking it to a dealership... Yeah, I'm certain there's a concise caliper replacement thread SOMEWHERE but my searches thus far have availed me not. I remain hopeful...
  14. L

Forgive me, guys, but before I replace my calipers (assume front and rear), I wanted to find tips/warnings/great digital camera how-to's. A search didn't really find me anything. If I've missed a perfect thread, can someone please direct me? Honest - I am not a goober! I know how to search...
  15. L

Caliper Slide Bolt - which way?!

Much thanks, guys - it is, indeed, the bracket (that's the word I needed!) that I am trying to get off. Obviously, I surrendered the task for now and will tackle it again in a few days. Glad to get the clarification on the ft/lbs, though. Thanks!
  16. L

So, Draper, those bolts should go lefty loosey (conventional)? Mind you, the bolts that hold the caliper on came out no problem. I do wish I had a photo but at any rate, it's the piece that the caliper rests on that has to come off so...I'll go ahead and give them the ol' breaker bar removal...
  17. L

I am trying to replace the front discs/rotors. Have to get teh caliper slide off but it hasn't been moved in ages - rusted on. Cannot tell if the bolts should go lefty loose-y or vice versa. The rear caliper bolt were vice versa. ARGH!Much thanks... P.S. Just to be very clear on this - I have...
  18. L

New Rotor install - do bearings, too?!

I KNEW it. I was asking the parts store guy who answered the phone if that was the bearing test and he was "I ain't never heer'd of that" so I doubted myself. LOL Let us hope that the bearings are JUST FINE. LOL Much thanks again for clarification and timely replies! I feel more comfy, now.
  19. L

MUCH thanks for clarification - question, though. What is a good way to know if they do need to be replaced? If the fronts would need it, is it a user item or something one should leave to a good shop? And, btw, what "whole piece" would need to be changed? I've left the manual in the truck so I...
  20. L

I will be putting new rotors in all around (96 XLT 4WD) this Sunday. I have had conflicting info on the bearings. Can someone indicate if I MUST replace at same time or if they can be left alone during the process? All I have heard is that they are SEALED so I assume that one doesn't repack w/...
  21. L

Hood slammed shut, cannot open!!

Hood release My release cable got eaten up by battery acid (previous owner perched the battery on top of drooping cable, I reckon) so I have to now open it manually. What you do is get a flat head screwdriver and look within the grill at the latch mechanism. There will be a perfect little slot...
  22. L

Well, it's official.

Pawl Replacement You didn't mention the year of the Explorer but this was an interesting hit if it was a `91... 1991-94 Ford Explorer Safety Recalls NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 91V189000 Potential Number of Units Affected: 792000 Model Year: 1991; Manufactured From: JUL 1989 To: AUG 1991...
  23. L

all I did was change the T-stat

T-stat and bleed screw Well, I just replaced my own t-stat recently and can concur on the bolt bitc*. However, it helps to have small girly hands. LOL Still, I was going very slowly with it to ensure I didn't mess it up. I didn't have a torque wrench to fit in there so I made a careful note of...
  24. L

whats this code definition mean?

G'bless you, P0125 guy! LOL...on the way home, dark, cold road - what do I see? CHECK ENGINE. You've no idea the fear that strikes in the heart of a single woman with a 3 digit bank balance. LOL So thanks to Auto Zone for pulling the arcane code but MORE thanks to YOU GUYS for already...
  25. L

Symptoms of bad bearings?

Nope, not so much squeaky as grindy. But a good thing to remember, nonetheless.
Back