Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Black out my Explorer?

Maybe so, I drove a 2005 Explorer yesterday but I could tell the transmission was going out. If I find a clean 3rd gen I might pull the trigger. They are harder to find now than they were back in 2006.
  2. T

Black out my Explorer?

This brings back memories. I miss my old Explorer. It was so much more comfortable than my current Jeep Liberty.
  3. T

Small factory hitch

Thanks
  4. T

Small factory hitch

Anyone know how much the small factory hitch on an 05 Explorer is rated to tow? I am not talking about the full 2" hitch that comes with the tow package but the smaller hitch that the ones without the tow package have.
  5. T

2002 vs. 2005

Hi all, it has been a while since I have posted on here. I used to be a regular a few years ago but I traded my Explorer and moved on. I had a 2002 Limited and it was a pretty sweet ride. I am thinking of getting a 2005 model. My question is did the common problems with the 2002 models...
  6. T

I just bought a ZJ

I do not have my Explorer any longer. I traded for a 98 Grand Cherokee. I am not sure if I like it as good so far. It has an annoying rattle from the dash or maybe steering column. I have had no luck trying to find it and fix it. The dual solid axles are very nice though. It has a lot...
  7. T

Thanks for all the help guys

You tend to get slammed for not searching the old posts before asking a question over there. I understand some of that frustration but a little consideration for the noobies would be nice. This place has been great. You still driving the TJ?
  8. T

Yea I know, I had tires that were almost 32s on my Ex. For all its ruggedness you would think a Jeep could accomodate a larger tire. That seems to be a Jeep thing though. My wife has a Liberty and it can't handle more than a 29" tire without a lift. I will try to get a picture up. It...
  9. T

I had it lined up after I put in the ball joints. It was just time to move on to something new though. Thanks for the well wishes. There are certainly more options for Jeeps. It is bone stock right now though. I want to at least get some 31s on it. You need about 3" of lift for that on...
  10. T

I just got frustrated with it. The front ball joints when out then one of the power windows crapped out. It developed a vibration in the front end after I replaced the ball joints. It had almost 140k on it. I bought a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I was able to buy it for not a lot more than...
  11. T

I finally sold my Explorer. Thanks for all the help over the past couple of years guys. This is probably the best forum I have ever been a part of. You guys are helpful and classy compared to the other places I have gone.
  12. T

What to look for when buying a 2nd gen

I had the the V6 in my 2002 and it never gave any problems. I did have to rebuild the transmission and replace two wheel bearings. When did they go away from the OHV V6 in favor of the SOHV V6? I can handle a little less power if it means a more reliable motor. I did some searching on here...
  13. T

What to look for when buying a 2nd gen

I recently sold my 3rd gen Explorer and I am thinking about picking up a 2nd gen. I can get a good deal on a clean one with around 100k on the clock. On 3rd gens the transmission usually goes out around 100k and the wheel bearings are not far behind. Are these problems on the 2nd gen. I have...
  14. T

which tow hooks

I did my trim in flat black a while back. It was silver since mine is a limited but i got tired of it. It is nice to be able to touch up a scratch with a spray can...
  15. T

which tow hooks

What did you do with your plastic trim? Looks almost like rhino liner for a pickup bed, pretty cool.
  16. T

which tow hooks

That is cool, just let me know. I about got in trouble today. I went down a forest service road and it turned into private property without warning. Getting arrested for trespassing would be bad.
  17. T

Is Cash for Clunkers going to damage used parts supply?

Lots of imports are made here. I saw that the Escape was the top car.
  18. T

which tow hooks

I do not need them to be super beefy. I just do not want to have to get pulled out via a control arm again.
  19. T

which tow hooks

Anyone know which tow hooks will fit a 3rd gen? I think some of the ones off an F150 will work but I am not sure.
  20. T

Is Cash for Clunkers going to damage used parts supply?

They are going to crush the cars traded in. I doubt it will take out that many third gen explorers though. Most of them are worth more than the $4500s. I looked at trading mine in and it did qualify but I did not do it. It is kind of a shame to crush so many road worthy cars. The whole...
  21. T

Ball Joints

I am not sure I got the right press. It did not seem to work very well. I was going to try it on the car but it was clunky. I just pulled them off and let a guy I know who has a table type press do it for me.
  22. T

Spare Tire Strategy

What if your spare is a 235/75/16 and your tires on the ground are 265/75/16?
  23. T

Ball Joints

Well I managed to get it done with a little help. One of my old ball joints has messed up threads or something and I ended up having to cut it off. That was a pain. The rest of it went pretty smooth. I ended up taking the control arms off and having a friend press the new ones in. He has...
  24. T

what rims do yall think?

It might be your shop. I had this happen after Tuffy's failed to torque them properly.
  25. T

Just Ordered Tires...

I had a set of 2" front and back RB spacers on my Explorer for a while and I thought they were great. I had no issues with binding and it did not affect my ride quality much. I took them off and sold them because I planned to trade in my Explorer rather than rebuild the transmission. I ended...
Back