Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Cv axle play

I think a little bit of play there is normal, mine has it. But looks like your oil seal is definitely bad.
  2. M

Fix leaking manifold to y-pipe with furnace cement

So I did find a minor leak on the passenger y-pipe using the smoke machine, which went away when I loosened and tightened it back up. However I still have the noise. What could cause a noise similar to an exhaust tick, that wasn't actually an exhaust leak? I can only hear it under load and its...
  3. M

Headlights

You can also try adding the headlight coating such as Meguiar's. It provides some UV protection, but it also surprisingly provides significantly better clarity then without. Maybe it fills the small scratches and voids in the housing.
  4. M

Quick cheap Vacuum leak / smoker tester

I'm sure you could make it cheaper, but it's a sturdy USA-made tool. I think it's money well spent. IMO
  5. M

Headlights

Yep, x2 agree with J_C. The light emitting elements of a LED "bulb" aren't located exactly the same as a halogen, so you don't get the same beam pattern. Result is more scatter and blinded drivers. LEDs are getting closer but they aren't there yet (and the fact there are no DOT certified ones...
  6. M

First time Transmission flush questions for an m50d manual

Synchros can definitely wear out (I had my 2nd gear synchro wear out), but obviously you should make sure the problem is internal before you drop the transmission and rebuild it. Would hate to install a new/remanufactured transmission and have the same problem...
  7. M

First time Transmission flush questions for an m50d manual

For sure, bleed the clutch system really well to rule that out. One trick that can help is using a plastic syringe (I got a couple from the Target pharmacy) that fits perfectly into the hole at the bottom of the clutch fluid reservoir. Fill the syringe with fresh clutch fluid. When you open the...
  8. M

Quick cheap Vacuum leak / smoker tester

Not sure if this qualifies as "cheap" but this was a Christmas present to myself year. It's pretty sweet, I wish I had bought it sooner. Successfully ratted out an exhaust leak. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JVT1NG2/?tag=serious-20
  9. M

Demented front suspension

I've also replaced the 2-piece with 1-piece multiple times without issue. BUT had I known it was for alignment purposes I probably would have kept the two piece. (Ford didn't spend money to make this more complicated for no reason.)
  10. M

I finally am shelling out $ for an automotive shop smoke generator...I have been wanting one for awhile, and hopefully that will make it easy to spot exhaust leaks. I imagine it will be useful for finding intake leaks and air/weatherstrip leaks too.
  11. M

I ordered the gasket you linked, and it was way too big! Also I ordered two, and they were two different sizes. Maybe I just got a bad vendor.
  12. M

Fix or replace engine on 1998 Explorer

What was the (stated) purpose of the shaft then?
  13. M

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I've tried the copper RTV as well as carefully retorquing / positioning and the ticking has reduced, but I can still hear it. I've tried using a rubber hose to the ear to try and confirm the location of the leak but can't hear anything, tried with the...
  14. M

Fix or replace engine on 1998 Explorer

Just my opinion -- as others have said -- it doesn't sound like this engine is ruined, I think the backfire/intake gasket theory is the most solid. Even if you have a shop do the repair it shouldn't be SUPER expensive (although shops these days have ridiculous labor rates) Even if the...
  15. M

96 5.0 no start / coil packs work, new plugs n wires

^ Like 410 says, just test it on the fuel rail like it's intended. That tells you that the fuel injectors are receiving fuel at the right pressure. If that checks out, at this point it's something unexpected -- Are you sure you are getting spark after changing the plugs and wires? Might be...
  16. M

96 5.0 no start / coil packs work, new plugs n wires

Did you test fuel pressure? Assuming your wires aren't crossed it seems like it has to be a fuel issue (unless somehow your engine lost compression when you got gas, an unlikely scenario).
  17. M

Help:eek: Aussie damsel in distress here:-)

Yeah, those prices are ridiculous. But if it's any consolation, the mechanic's rates here in the US are equally outrageous (normal is $150/hr for a private garage, dealership is more). It reminds me why I got into wrenching to begin with. Even doing the basics you can save a ton of money...
  18. M

4WH Theory & What Will Break 1st

Yep, mixed that up. But still think you might off on your note "(5 speed explorers, explorer sports and sport tracs= no control trac awd)"
  19. M

4WH Theory & What Will Break 1st

My 98 has the 4.0 OHV, 5-speed manual, and BW4405 control trac transfer case. Has 4Auto, 4High, and 4Low. Edit: 4405, not 4406. Whoops
  20. M

1995 Ford Explorer 4dr 2wd needs work

The salvage yards i've used have 30-day warranties on parts. If you don't mind the legwork, keep pulling bulbs and ballasts until you get one that works, return if it doesn't.
  21. M

Air con

No problem, be sure to use a UV flashlight and the yellow-tinted glasses when you use the dye - it really makes finding the leaks easier.
  22. M

Air con

Sounds like two completely separate issues. 1 - Sounds certain you have a fairly large leak, but are you using a proper gauge set to check the pressures? Are you sure it's empty? Have you tried using A/C tracer dye? It's not expensive and should be pretty obvious where the leak is coming from...
  23. M

Vertical play in front lower ball joint, bad?

Also for those with the adjustable camber bolts, the kit comes with some standard looking washers. The washer placement is important - there is a wrong way and and right way. The washers go between the cam plate and the frame, not under the bolt/nut head. The reason for this is that the washer...
  24. M

1995 Ford Explorer 4dr 2wd needs work

The first thing to do is clean out your trailer connector, these corrode or get packed with debris and can cause the third brake light to stop working. You can gamble and try to find a used one but be aware that both the neon bulb and the ballast need to work. I went through this exercise on my...
  25. M

M5R1 notchy 1-2 shifting

So after a few months with the Zumbrota-remanufactured transmission, I can say that the problem has been resolved. A bit unsatisfying. I wanted to know what caused the problem in the old transmission, but more than that I wanted the shifting fixed.
Back