Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Rear ABS Sensor Replaced

I have 76K miles on my 2000 Sport. I was driving the other day and had the ABS light illuminate on my dash. I read through the posts on here and noticed many similar ABS light issues, and the most common fix was replace the rear ABS sensor. So I bought a new sensor from the dealer and just...
  2. J

2000 Explorer Sport 4X4 with noticeable lean to the left

I bought my explorer new and shortly there after realized it had a lean to the left. It would really anoy me. Your post seems to describe a variance at the rear leaf spring shackles, I'm not sure from the description. But the connection of the springs in the rear to the frame should be...
  3. J

2000 Explorer Intermittent starting issues

I think your problem is the IAC valve. I previoulsy experienced the same exact intermittent starting problems. If the car starts when you hold the gas pedal all the way down, then I think it's the IAC. Since I replaced the IAC, I've had no starting problems. Another example of a weak Ford...
  4. J

SOHC - Change spark plugs without pulling engine?

I also recommend going at the spark plugs by pulling the front tires, and removing the slash guard in each wheel well. Do this on both the passenger and drivers side. You'll need a variety of socket extensions. I don't recommend using swivels since you might break a spark plug. To remove the...
  5. J

spark plugs

Rhett, can you please post the critical dimension differences you are talking about between the Motorcraft and Autolite spark plugs. Also, if you could provide some facts regarding the incorrect heat range and/or PCM firing requirements that only Motorcraft spark plugs can provide. I am...
  6. J

spark plugs

The Autolite double platinums don't have multiple electrodes. These Autolite double platinums have a single center electrode and a single side wire. But both the center tip and side wire are made of platinum for longer life. Not like a splitfire configuration with a split side wire. If you...
  7. J

spark plugs

I put in Autolite double platinums. I think these are equivalent in quality, performance, and price to the OEM Motorcraft plugs. Most people seem to be superstitious about installing anything but Motorcraft in their Ford. I'm not sure why.
  8. J

Brake Pads:

I just installed the Bendix TitaniuMetallic brake pads front and rear on my 2000 sport 4x4. These cost approximately $40 a pair and have a lifetime warranty. These are very good quality brake pads and work well. I'd recommend these Bendix.
  9. J

Michelin Cross Terrain SUV

I've had the Michelin cross terrains on my 2000 sport 4x4 since the Firestone Wilderness tire issue and were replaced by Ford, and have put about 50K on them. These tires are good handling, quiet, road tires. The are pretty good in snow, similar to goodyear wranglers or other all season type...
  10. J

'00 XLT 83k - Wierd knocking type noise. Please read!

Sounds like the Camshaft Chain Tensioner issue that Ford issued, the 00M12 notification for the SOHC engine. So there is a fix for this. Ask the dealer if this vehicle ever had this 00M12 repair work. My 2000 sport which I bought new made this noise when it had low miles and I had the 00M12...
  11. J

2000 Sport Sunroof/Roof Leak

Do you have a roof rack? Maybe the roof rack was improperly installed and water is entering through the screw holes in the roof.
  12. J

fuel filter

My owners manual states to change the fuel filter every 60K miles.
  13. J

Hitch not centered...

I'll bet your bumper is off center rather than the hitch being off. Another fine example of Ford Quality control. No big deal, the bumper can be centered pretty easy.
  14. J

Hitch and Spare tire

I bought a hidden hitch round tube class III hitch for my 2000 sport a couple of years ago from etrailer. I think the hitch model was 70647. If you have a 16" spare tire which is mounted under the rear of the vehicle, then after you install this hitch, the spare tire can no longer fit back...
  15. J

Front Bumper Cover Replacement?

How do you replace the front bumper cover on a 2000 explorer sport? Does the whole bumper need to be removed? This is the plastic piece that covers the bumper. How hard is this to do yourself?
  16. J

5spd auto tranny ?'s

should be a safety recall! Why isn't this considered a safety recall issue? I know that when I learned to drive, they told us that if the brakes failed to utilize engine braking as an alternate method of slowing down the car. Also, I would think someone could get into serious trouble if...
  17. J

How level is your Ex What is your Wheel Fender Height?

I had the dealer adjust the ride height twice under warranty. Last time, Before: LF 33" RF 33 3/4" LR 32 1/2" RR 32 7/8" After: LF 34" RF 34 1/4" LR 33" RR 33" They have the torsion bolt on the RF adjusted way out and on the LF adjusted way in. I think there is something screwed up with...
  18. J

Dashboard computer connector

Is the computer connector in the bottom of the dashboard below the steering wheel suppose to be covered? I am wondering if I am missing a small square dash piece or plate.
  19. J

Starting Problem

I think you misunderstood my problem. I didn't "flood" the engine when I first tried to start it. I only turned the ingnition key to try to start the engine. After this didn't work on several attempts, Then, I tried pressing down on the gas pedal. Then it started. Now I read some...
  20. J

Where do sports keep their spare tire?

I have a 2000 sport with hidden hitch model 70647. I had to bend the forward spare tire bracket forward slightly about 1/2" to fit the stock spare 255/70R16 back under there. I think I could have bent it another inch with no rear differential interference problems. I know that doesn't answer...
  21. J

Starting Problem

I had a problem trying to start my 2000 explorer sport today after work. The car had been sitting for like 8 hours all day and it's like 50 deg outside. Turn the ignition key, acted like it was going to start for a second, but didn't. I tried again, cranked for like 5-10 seconds, the engine...
  22. J

Broken glass

I was on vacation in Vermont this past week and I parked my explorer on a quiet side street for about an hour. When I returned, the drivers side back seat pop out window was smashed. Fortunately there was no body damage and nothing was stolen (especially the car). I guess that a rock could...
  23. J

2000 Explorer Sport SOHC Questions

00M12 I have about 15,500 on my 2000 Explorer Sport (built in Dec '99). I first heard the cam chain tensioner noise last year when it had like 8K on it but I didn't know what the sound was. I received the owners notification from Ford earlier this year and realized what that noise was. I...
Back