Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Tow Hook Cross Reference

Wondering if anyone knows whether tow hooks from either a late model F-150 or F-250 will fit a 2002+ 4dr Explorer. I upgraded from an '01 2dr to '04 4dr and miss the look and utility of front tow hooks. There are plenty for the F trucks but I am not sure if these will fit up to the OEM...
  2. S

Adjusting liftgate on late model 4dr

True!, but here's a story about a new car I bought previously: The trunk would not close properly. The trunk hood would come down and the loop on the trunk would hit the latch and pull the hood to the left. I had the service manual and knew how to fix it, but figured with 500 miles it was well...
  3. S

No one has any ideas?!?!
  4. S

The rear liftgate/glass on my '04 XLT is hitting the taillight lens on the right hand (passenger) side. A good push will get the corner of the liftgate past the lip on the lens, but obviously this isn't a good practice. I would bring it back to the dealer, but I had a bad experience with their...
  5. S

How do you get it up? (Kayak)

Thanks Jason, I thought about that and I'll prolly take a trip to Home Depot to pick up a couple of moving pads unless I can come up with a better idea.
  6. S

How do you get it up? (Kayak)

I have a question...kinda dumb, but I'll ask it anyway... I just bought a Kayak (Loon 138) and a set of racks (Yakima Hully Rollers and Mako Saddles) to fit on my stock roof rails. My 2001 Sport doesn't have cross bars, but the Euro style rails that accept the cross bars. Loading the yak...
  7. S

Love my new Gibbie!!

I was surprised. The tough thing about buying a new exhaust is relying on the various opinions on these discussion boards. I searched this site and a couple of others and decided to jump on the Gibby. It has definitely mellowed out since I put it on a couple of tanks ago. Did this happen...
  8. S

Love my new Gibbie!!

I scooped a stainless Gibson swept-side from eBay and had it installed last Monday. After a week of commuting including a 2 hour round trip a client's office today. I'm pleased with the sound and I even noticed a difference in my mileage. Since my CPA practice allows NO free time this time...
  9. S

A new cold air package?

The Sport and Sport trac were made with two builds: before 7/00 and after 7/00. The early builds had 2 vacuum lines off the intake between the MAF and TB, and the build 2 has one. Besides that, they are identical and anything that works with the Sport Trac from the front doors forward will...
  10. S

Oil Gauge.

Doc: I had the same problem with my '01 Sport SOHC. There is a TSB on the issue. If the truck sat for a couple of days, or if was very cold overnight, the gauge would sit at zero and the "check gauge" light would come on...sound familiar? I broght the truck back to Ford and they replaced...
  11. S

Strange whomping noise

I don't think you have a problem. MY '01 X Sport does a similar thing. I can't say the noise is loud or even a noise at all as much as it is a feeling as the idle fluctuates at around 750. Any road noise or if the RPMs are anywhere above idle there is no whumping on my X. I think what...
  12. S

New Explorer Sport?

C'mon Kartman, there is more world out there than offroad. Some of us, and I would bravely venture to say the majority of us, drive our trucks on the road. Comparing road use of the Sport and Escape, I would trade my Sport for the Escape any day. Just think of it: smoother ride, much better...
  13. S

New Explorer Sport?

The Sport has a lot of things going for it that the Escape doesn't. Basically, the Sport far more of a truck than the Escape: rear wheel drive, solid rear axle, body on frame, full frame, etc. This is what drew me to it as opposed to the Escape, which I also like. If you look, there are a...
  14. S

New Explorer Sport?

Say it 'aint so! I just unloaded my '95 Contour after they discontinued that line. In its place I got what I really, really wanted, my '01 X Sport. While looking through the brochure I saw the specs for the Escape, including horsepower but except MPG were very close. Made me wonder then...
  15. S

2001 Sport 4X4 Mode Question

My 2001 Sport has a 2wd, 4Hi and 4Lo settings. I am not sure about the front wheels turning the drive shaft in 2wd, good question though...coincidentally, I had the same question the other day, but didn't post it. Heres a question for 2001 Sport/Sport Trac owners: I can hear a "ringing"...
  16. S

Air box opinion

Robert, I agree with you, but due to the results of my test, which were far from scientific, tended to suggest the opposite was true, or at least that the paper might have 100,000 5 micron pores, but that the K&N filter had 500,000 5 micron pores. Of course, I have no idea how many or what...
  17. S

What size is MAF/MAS for a '95

Jason, I see what you are saying, but if you swap the electronics, the computer will still think it is getting a reading from a 60mm sensor when the actual sensor will be 65mm (I don't know the sensor diameters, just using these as an example). This will lean out the air fuel mixture and cause...
  18. S

Air box opinion

RTStork, funny, that's the same exact thing I did with mine, right down to measuring the filter's extension into the lower box. The only other step I took was to sand the newly cut edges for a factory look. Al, I 'aint no skientist, but I guts a test for ya. Yo, Alec, you betta pay...
  19. S

Air box opinion

I second RTS' opinion. This is exactly what I did to my '01 Sport and I am very pleased with the results. Try it and pick up a high flow filter. The combilation of the two will give you only slightly less performance than the KKM and for a fraction of the money. Unless you spend all of your...
  20. S

What size is MAF/MAS for a '95

Be careful with this one. A couple of things can happen, but if the check engine light comes on, shut the engine down and put the old one back in. What is likely to happen is the computer will see that the MAF is faulty and will run the engine in WOT mode. To prevent against what it...
  21. S

specs for 01 ST skidplate--Any help?

Shab, wassamatta? You lost or something? Shouldn't you be at the mysporttrac.com playground? Just kidding!! There is a custom skid plate for a Sport somewhere on this site. Its made from diamond plate and looks very cool. I don't think it was on a '01 Sport, but because you removed the...
  22. S

Auto shift lever sticking

In the US, we are required to use D.O.T. spec headlight lenses/reflectors which spread light up for overhead signs and across the road in a wide path. This disipates the light and is not very efficient. The european spec lamps direct light in front of the driver with a beam spread to the right...
  23. S

Auto shift lever sticking

Matt: I don't think I can help you with your auto tranny issue, but I wonder if you could help us with something: Do you know if there are euro-spec headlights available for the 2001 Explorer Sport/Sport Tracs?
  24. S

KKM or cutting air box? +/-

I cut the airbox on my '01 Sport and noticed the improvement immediately, and this is with a stock paper filter. I have a Borla filter (a cast-off from their Powerset) on the way and I expect little to no tangible improvement over the paper filter. Most of the gains on this type of mod...
  25. S

Has anyone seen my mileage?

Thanks, T! I forget where I originally heard it, but I do remember laughing when I did. Here's something funny: at this one firm I worked for I was participating in an e-mail discussion list and had the "Balls..." sig as sig #2 for my replies to the list. Of course, I had another with my...
Back